First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Photographer/Filmmaker
I love your set up looks awesome! ? Honestly these truck are pretty impressive even stock so adding any increase in tire size gives it a huge advantage. I had the same issue as you with my dealership, they were unsure of what would fit and were certain the 295/70/18 wouldn't fit even with a level. Then I started seeing a lot of members here on the "stock wheel aftermarket tire thread" start to run that size and I fell in love. Finally got them installed and even the dealership was surprised they fit. I actually sold that set and now I'm rocking raptor 17 inch take offs with 315/70/17 and they feel even better off road. 17 inch wheels will work as long as you don't have the max tow package, having the regular tow package is fine just not max tow because that package adds bigger rear brakes.
Do you know what offset those Raptor takeoffs are? The dealership agreed to sell me new wheels at cost. I just want to make sure I can fit 285/70r18 if I buy new wheels.
Sponsored

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lead Foot Gray XLT 5.0 Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Veteran
Do you know what offset those Raptor takeoffs are? The dealership agreed to sell me new wheels at cost. I just want to make sure I can fit 285/70r18 if I buy new wheels.
The raptor takes offs are +34mm I believe. What offset where you thinking of going with? You should be able to fit that size as it currently sits right now with no issue. Check out this thread, same +20mm and the 285/70/18 fit with no rub even without a level. With a level I think you might even be able to get away with a 295/70/18.
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/285-70r18-with-20-offset-and-no-level.7648/

Last edited:
OP
OP
DHBPhoto

DHBPhoto

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Photographer/Filmmaker
The raptor takes offs are +34mm I believe. What offset where you thinking of going with? You should be able to fit that size as it currently sits right now with no issue. Check out this thread, same +20mm and the 285/70/18 fit with no rub even without a level. With a level I think you might even be able to get away with a 295/70/18.
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/285-70r18-with-20-offset-and-no-level.7648/
+20
I won't be buying new rubber for a while, but I just broke a mirror, so I definitely need to bring in the offset. Next set will most likely be 285/70r18 or even 295. Just want to be setup.

Sponsored

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Veteran
+20
I won't be buying new rubber for a while, but I just broke a mirror, so I definitely need to bring in the offset. Next set will most likely be 285/70r18 or even 295. Just want to be setup.
How did the mirror break happen? ? And yes with your +20 offset wheels the 285/70/18 fit fine. With the stock wheels you can go up to 295/70/18 no problem and if you go with the raptor wheels then 315/70/17. The offset and wheel width are the main factors that determine how big of a tire you can run. I’ll try to look on here shortly and see if anyone has run any bigger tire sizes than the ones I mentioned.

edit: 35x12.5R18 tires fit on stock wheels with a level.

Last edited:

Franger

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford F-150
I’d like to look into the idea of a tire fitting in the driveway and at the supermarket vs fitting on a trail at full articulation.

Looking at this stuff, a regular 2” level and anything larger than 34” in diameter looks like a bad idea no matter what the offset.

OP
OP
DHBPhoto

DHBPhoto

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Photographer/Filmmaker
I’d like to look into the idea of a tire fitting in the driveway and at the supermarket vs fitting on a trail at full articulation.

Looking at this stuff, a regular 2” level and anything larger than 34” in diameter looks like a bad idea no matter what the offset.
Yes, I agree with you here! I also like being able to fit front mud flaps and chains. My plan is to get an aftermarket bumper in a few years, which will greatly improve tire clearance up front. But before then, I definitely won't go bigger than 34". I really do think the 285/70r18 is a solid Colorado/Utah size. Maybe go up to 285/75 if the clearance is ample w/ the +20 offsets. For the time being though, I'll be rocking 275/65r18 winters and 275/70r18 summers -- at this rate, will probably only last 3 years.

OP
OP
DHBPhoto

DHBPhoto

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Photographer/Filmmaker
How did the mirror break happen? ? And yes with your +20 offset wheels the 285/70/18 fit fine. With the stock wheels you can go up to 295/70/18 no problem and if you go with the raptor wheels then 315/70/17. The offset and wheel width are the main factors that determine how big of a tire you can run. I’ll try to look on here shortly and see if anyone has run any bigger tire sizes than the ones I mentioned.

edit: 35x12.5R18 tires fit on stock wheels with a level.
I think a rock flung up from the rear tires. Only plausible explanation. The chip is high left on the passenger side. The break has now spread as a crack across the whole mirror. I have a new one at the dealership, but will wait until it warms up to replace.

Thanks for the advice! I'm not going for the biggest, just bigger while still allowing for full articulation, mud/snow buildup and chains.

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Veteran
I think a rock flung up from the rear tires. Only plausible explanation. The chip is high left on the passenger side. The break has now spread as a crack across the whole mirror. I have a new one at the dealership, but will wait until it warms up to replace.

Thanks for the advice! I'm not going for the biggest, just bigger while still allowing for full articulation, mud/snow buildup and chains.
Sucks that happened to you brother. Hopefully they fix it for you soon! And yeah I understand you, biggest size would probably be mid 34inch sizes but there are plenty of sizes in between that can fit your needs. I stuffed the raptor wheels and have zero issues rubbing but haven’t taken it hardcore off-road yet and previously I had 295/70/18 on stock wheels and had zero rub even at full articulation on hard off-road trials contrary to what Franger said above. You can definitely fit 34s comfortably without any issues even at full articulation, again it would all come down to your offset and wheel width. Here is a picture of my clearance at full lock with the stock wheels and 295/70/18s (34.3 diameter). This is at full lock, as you can see there is still plenty of space left.
Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing B2152CA5-13C4-4D93-B7CB-4F9C068E4224
Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing 2E658522-3222-47A6-86E1-87FD2B55F2C6

Sponsored

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Veteran

The sizes we were discussing above were 34.3 or under. Anything more than that and you would rub as he tried 285/75/18 already (34.8 diameter). Even raptor wheels and tires come out to 34.4-34.5 ish diameter when you punch it into the tire size calculator. Here is a video of my truck with 34.3 size wheel and tire (295/70/18) at full articulation with zero rub doing non mall crawler activities.

Colbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 FX4 Lariat Extended Cab
The remedy:
- downsize tires to 275/70r18
- Install ad-a-leaf (Ford factory)
Thanks for all the great info here. I’m curious about the factory add-a-leaf. Did you originally have the single leaf suspension with composite helper? Any chance you have the factory part number for your extra leaf?

I’m running a ~500lb pop-up topper on stock suspension, and the rear could be stiffened up.

Really like your setup. Looking forward to following along as it evolves.

OP
OP
DHBPhoto

DHBPhoto

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Photographer/Filmmaker
Thanks for all the great info here. I’m curious about the factory add-a-leaf. Did you originally have the single leaf suspension with composite helper? Any chance you have the factory part number for your extra leaf?

I’m running a ~500lb pop-up topper on stock suspension, and the rear could be stiffened up.

Really like your setup. Looking forward to following along as it evolves.
I don't have a part number -- just whatever the dealer supplied. And yes, stock suspension from the factory. With ad-a-leaf, I now have 3 leafs back there.

After 14k miles, and hauling 300lbs of gear for a good chunk of that, I'm thinking I could stiffen it up more. I just picked up a used Alu-Cab RTT w/ awning, which is roughly 200 lbs. We'll see how it rides once I install it. I'm more concerned w/ how it sits/rides than the roll at this point. (I hate a saggy rear end, especially when I have a bike on the back). I also want to ad some true sliders. Once everything is fully installed, I could see myself buying a new pack from Spring Works in Grand Junction, CO.

skwrtle

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
New goodies sound awesome! Can't wait to see pics when they're installed. I completely concur with the saggy look (y)

OP
OP
DHBPhoto

DHBPhoto

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Photographer/Filmmaker
New goodies sound awesome! Can't wait to see pics when they're installed. I completely concur with the saggy look (y)
Yeah, I'm excited!! BTW, nice looking garage you got there (Flickr link).
Sponsored