Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Photographer/Filmmaker
Hey guys,

I've been wanting to do this for a while, so here goes. I've been a Tacoma guy for nearly 20 years, and since about 2018, have been eyeing the F150. I got a screaming deal on a '19 Tundra TRD Pro, but after 3 months, really started hating and starting looking at the F150 again. My eyes landed on the Tremor build. I placed an order in late May. After 6 weeks of no order number, nothing, I started getting impatient and started looking again. Before a meeting in Denver, I got luck and called Lakewood Ford and asked if they had any F150s for sale. I was told they just had 3 delivered and 1 was unclaimed.

Fresh off the truck was a '21 Space White XLT w/ 302A package and FX4 Sport. I was unsure of it – thought it kind of looked like a fleet truck. And truth be told, really just wanted a Tremor, but I was fed up w/ the Tundra (problem after problem after problem... not too mention, it was f******* uncomfortable). After getting into the truck more, it was exactly what I wanted: light in color, FX4, 3.5eb, onboard Generator and Sport package. After discussing w/ the salesman what lift they could do, what tires and wheels were available, and if they could do it all under warranty we signed the paper work. All the aftermarket work would happen roughly 3 weeks later.

Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing PXL_20210805_233826870

The pic above was taken a few days after I bought it (I spent the evening switching over the tonneau cover and bed rack, not snapping pics). Contrary to what they said, all my aftermarket bits fit perfectly. It's as I thought: the dims are almost identical.

I'm like a kid – I will push things to the limits, right away. So as soon as I could, I tested out the truck on some of my favorite offroad trails. What I learned immediately was the air dam had to go, the running boards had to go, and I had to get the lift on ASAP. I scraped the shit out of the front, caught the running boards (and frame) and scraped my rear bumper real good (bad?). Love wounds.

Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing DylanHBrown-FORD-9549

Before rolling to the shop, I pulled off the running boards and the air dam, as you can see above. I don't know why FX4 has the airdam. It's like low-hanging fruit... only a matter of time until they get fully ripped off. (I've had no warning lights since pulling them off and the dealer said nothing.)

Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing PXL_20210824_172432523

Before.

Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing PXL_20210827_233529573

After.

What was installed:
Fox 2.5 Level kit (front and rear shocks, new springs up front)
Fuel Shok Wheels wrapped w/ 285/75r18 Ridge Grapplers

I need to be clear: I use my truck. I rock crawl, I go hunting, I go backcountry skiing, I sometimes haul, I sometimes tow... I don't ever want to go overboard on any build – I want it to be functional, and minimal. So when I was assured I could fit metric 34s w/ plenty of room for mud, chains, etc. I was super stoked. Afterall, this is a big truck, why not go w/ big tires. I was also told, the stock springs could hold an electric motorcycle. Both of those last two statements were wrong:
- Metric 34s do fit (on stock rims)
- A level kit works/looks great w/ no load and/or no trailer

Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing PXL_20210828_015220707

Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing PXL_20210829_020020212

The truck looked GREAT. But, it was seriously lacking in functionality. The tires were too big for the build (unless I wanted to cut the crash bars and didn't mind rubbing everytime I compressed the front end while turning) and the rear end was too soft for hauling my e-moto. Let's just say, the dealership got an earful. Not stoked!

The remedy:
- downsize tires to 275/70r18
- Install ad-a-leaf (Ford factory)

Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing PXL_20211011_232705504

The truck now has a nice rake and a decent amount of room to clear built up mud and chains if I need them.

Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing PXL_20210909_211618702

I did switch to a tried and tested All Terrain tire (actually what they had in stock at Glenwood Spring Ford – whom I would recommend to anyone). The drive was immediately nicer, and I wasn't wincing everytime I pulled into a driveway. I also liked the look more w/ the mild rake.

Now, as I said earlier, I use and abuse my rigs, so I convinced the lady to go on a four day high-country wheel and camp through the Colorado Rockies. We chose a loop near Tincup, CO – specifically Hancock Pass to test the mettle of the new setup.

Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing PXL_20210910_154232239

Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing PXL_20210910_003208413

Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing PXL_20210910_163627436

Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing PXL_20210910_155947174

The truck performed flawlessly. I was damn impressed! I was mostly in 4L over the rocky bits, using "M", and had to engage the locker only once on a severely cross-flexed section in the middle of some loose ass head-sized boulders. I got hung up only once and scraped a handful of times. Nothing felt scary bad. On the approach roads, I used "tow-haul" mode mostly and it was buttery smooth.

For the whole 4 days, I ran 28 psi on pavement and mellow dirt roads and when it got rough, aired down to 18 psi.

When we got home, I washed up the truck and did my 4 point inspection. What I found was a good scrape on the lower passenger control arm, and a REALLY good (bad) scrape/crunch on a frame cross member (sorry, no photos). It wasn't so bad I needed to replace, but bad enough, I ordered RCI Skids to replace the FX4 skids and to provide further protection. (Pics below are from 3 months of abuse)

Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing PXL_20211204_235552065

Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing PXL_20211204_235619573

At this point, I've been very happy with the build. I've ripped it down washboard roads (Hole in the Rock) at 70 mph, mobbed through sketchy-ass snow/mud mountain roads chasing elk, and use it as a daily driver. The Fox 2.5 suspension was stiffer than expected at the beginning, and the tires knocked my mpg down, but all things considering, this truck is the most comfortable truck I've owned, and I can get 20 mpg if I try to drive with mpg in mind. Usually I average 15-16 driving like I should, having fun and blasting into the backcountry and down county roads.

Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing PXL_20211030_232011078

Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing PXL_20211024_201515802

Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing PXL_20211121_001210035

Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing PXL_20211110_222303652 (1)

Here's a list of total mods (as of 12/4/21):
- Fox 2.5 level kit (shocks f/r)
- 18" Fuel Shok Wheels wrapped w/ 275/70r18 Toyo Open Country AT3
- RCI Full skid plate package
- Ford Wheel Well arch cover
- Retrax Pro Tonneau Cover
- Yakima Bed Rack w/ HD Bars
- Shovel and Recovery Track Mounts
- Kitchen Drawer in rear
- Sheep Skin seat Covers Front, Dog Hammock in back

Here's a list of ForScan mods:
- Bambi Mode
- No Door Chime
- No Double honk when engine running
- No PSI indicator
- No RearView Assist indicator

Future Mods:
- Fender Flares (Just ordered BushWhacker Extend a Flare). I was hesitant at first, but Ford's attention to detail isn't the best, and I'm finding chips on my door edges bc they don't line up perfectly. I also have chips on my handles.
- Low-Pro running boards or Rock Sliders (Black Rhino or Addictive Desert Design)
- Front Bumper (Won't do this until I'm ready to upgrade tires to bigger size or smoke a deer)

That's it guys! Thanks for viewing. I'm stoked to be part of the F150 club. It's my first new truck and a Ford. And iut's a banger!!
- Dylan
Sponsored

Last edited:

Majorplane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
great truck. Whered you get the fox kit? All I’ve seen is the 2.0

Sponsored

Wvmtneer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Hey guys,

I've been wanting to do this for a while, so here goes. I've been a Tacoma guy for nearly 20 years, and since about 2018, have been eyeing the F150. I got a screaming deal on a '19 Tundra TRD Pro, but after 3 months, really started hating and starting looking at the F150 again. My eyes landed on the Tremor build. I placed an order in late May. After 6 weeks of no order number, nothing, I started getting impatient and started looking again. Before a meeting in Denver, I got luck and called Lakewood Ford and asked if they had any F150s for sale. I was told they just had 3 delivered and 1 was unclaimed.

Fresh off the truck was a '21 Space White XLT w/ 302A package and FX4 Sport. I was unsure of it – thought it kind of looked like a fleet truck. And truth be told, really just wanted a Tremor, but I was fed up w/ the Tundra (problem after problem after problem... not too mention, it was f******* uncomfortable). After getting into the truck more, it was exactly what I wanted: light in color, FX4, 3.5eb, onboard Generator and Sport package. After discussing w/ the salesman what lift they could do, what tires and wheels were available, and if they could do it all under warranty we signed the paper work. All the aftermarked work would happen roughly 3 weeks later.

PXL_20210805_233826870.jpg

The pic above was taken a few days after I bought it (I spent the evening switching over the tonneau cover and bed rack, not snapping pics). Contrary to what they said, all my aftermarket bits fit perfectly. It's as I thought: the dims are almost identical.

I'm like a kid – I will push things to the limits, right away. So as soon as I could, I tested out the truck on some of my favorite offroad trails. What I learned immediately was the air dam had to go, the running boards had to go, and I had to get the lift on ASAP. I scraped the shit out of the front, caught the running boards (and frame) and scraped my tailgate good. Love wounds.

DylanHBrown-FORD-9549.jpg

Before rolling to the shop, I pulled off the running boards and the air dam, as you can see above. I don't know why FX4 has the airdam. It's like low-hanging fruit... only a matter of time until they get fully ripped off. (I've had no warning lights since pulling them off and the dealer said nothing.)

PXL_20210824_172432523.jpg

Before.

PXL_20210827_233529573.jpg

After.

What was installed:
Fox 2.5 Level kit (front and rear shocks, new springs up front)
Fuel Shok Wheels wrapped w/ 285/75r18 Ridge Grapplers

I need to be clear: I use my truck. I rock crawl, I go hunting, I go backcountry skiing, I sometimes haul, I sometimes tow... I don't ever want to go overboard on any build – I want it to be functional, and minimal. So when I was assured I could fit metric 34s w/ plenty of room for mud, chains, etc. I was super stoked. Afterall, this is a big truck, why not go w/ big tires. I was also told, the stock springs could hold an electric motorcycle. Both of those last two statements were wrong:
- Metric 34s do fit (on stock rims)
- A level kit works/looks great w/ no load and/or no trailer

PXL_20210828_015220707.jpg

PXL_20210829_020020212.jpg

The truck looked GREAT. But, it was seriously lacking in functionality. The tires were too big for the build (unless I wanted to cut the crash bars and didn't mind rubbing everytime I compressed the front end while turning) and the rear end was too soft for hauling my e-moto. Let's just say, the dealership got an earful. Not stoked!

The remedy:
- downsize tires to 275/75r18
- Install ad-a-leaf (Ford factory)

PXL_20211011_232705504.jpg

The truck now has a nice rake and a decent amount of room to clear built up mud and chains if I need them.

PXL_20210909_211618702.jpg

I did switch to a tried and tested All Terrain tire (actually what they had in stock at Glenwood Spring Ford – whom I would recommend to anyone). The drive was immediately nicer, and I wasn't wincing everytime I pulled into a driveway. I also liked the look more w/ the mild rake.

Now, as I said earlier, I use and abuse my rigs, so I convinced the lady to go on a four day high-country wheel and camp through the Colorado Rockies. We chose a loop near Tincup, CO – specifically Hancock Pass to test the mettle of the new setup.

PXL_20210910_154232239.jpg

PXL_20210910_003208413.jpg

PXL_20210910_163627436.jpg

PXL_20210910_155947174.jpg

The truck performed flawlessly. I was damn impressed! I was mostly in 4L over the rocky bits, using "M", and had to engage the locker only once on a severely cross-flexed section in the middle of some loose ass head-sized boulders. I got hung up only once and scraped a handful of times. Nothing felt scary bad. On the approach roads, I used "tow-haul" mode mostly and it was buttery smooth.

For the whole 4 days, I ran 28 psi on pavement and mellow dirt roads and when it got rough, aired down to 18 psi.

When we got home, I washed up the truck and did my 4 point inspection. What I found was a good scrape on the lower passenger control arm, and a REALLY good (bad) scrape/crunch on a frame cross member (sorry, no photos). It wasn't so bad I needed to replace, but bad enough, I ordered RCI Skids to replace the FX4 skids and to provide further protection. (Pics below are from 3 months of abuse)

PXL_20211204_235552065.jpg

PXL_20211204_235619573.jpg

At this point, I've been very happy with the build. I've ripped it down washboard roads (Hole in the Rock) at 70 mph, mobbed through sketchy-ass snow/mud mountain roads chasing elk, and use it as a daily driver. The Fox 2.5 suspension was stiffer than expected at the beginning, and the tires knocked my mpg down, but all things considering, this truck is the most comfortable truck I've owned, and I can get 20 mpg if I try to drive with mpg in mind. Usually I average 15-16 driving like I should, having fun and blasting into the backcountry and down county roads.

PXL_20211030_232011078.jpg

PXL_20211024_201515802.jpg

PXL_20211121_001210035.jpg

PXL_20211110_222303652 (1).jpg

Here's a list of total mods (as of 12/4/21):
- Fox 2.5 level kit (shocks f/r)
- 18" Fuel Shok Wheels wrapped w/ 275/75r18 Toyo Open Country AT3
- RCI Full skid plate package
- Ford Wheel Well arch cover
- Retrax Pro Tonneau Cover
- Yakima Bed Rack w/ HD Bars
- Shovel and Recovery Track Mounts
- Kitchen Drawer in rear
- Sheep Skin seat Covers Front, Dog Hammock in back

Here's a list of ForScan mods:
- Bambi Mode
- No Door Chime
- No Double honk when engine running
- No PSI indicator
- No RearView Assist indicator

Future Mods:
- Fender Flares (Just ordered BushWhacker Extend a Flare). I was hesitant at first, but Ford's attention to detail isn't the best, and I'm finding chips on my door edges bc they don't line up perfectly. I also have chips on my handles.
- Low-Pro running boards or Rock Sliders (Black Rhino or Desert Addiction)
- Front Bumper (Won't do this until I'm ready to upgrade tires to bigger size or smoke a deer)

That's it guys! Thanks for viewing. I'm stoked to be part of the F150 club. It's my first new truck and a Ford. And iut's a banger!!
- Dylan
Nice write up. What is the offset of your wheels?

OP
OP
DHBPhoto

DHBPhoto

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Photographer/Filmmaker
great truck. Whered you get the fox kit? All I’ve seen is the 2.0
The dealer got it for me. Honestly, loving it. Took a bit to break it, but I'm very happy now.

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
Great write up! Awesome how much enjoyment your getting out of your truck.

Sponsored

Gnfghtr

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Occupation
Pilot
Great writeup and attention to detail.

Live in Glenwood?

turbospartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 PowerBoost Lariat
Great thread. I love Space White, wish it was available for Powerboosts. I'm also in CO and do similar camping (though only went once this season right after I bought).

Where is the 2nd pic from? What is the e-moto? Now with the built-in generator, I've been considering an e-moto for wheeling around and having fun when camping.

OP
OP
DHBPhoto

DHBPhoto

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Photographer/Filmmaker
Where is the 2nd pic from? What is the e-moto? Now with the built-in generator, I've been considering an e-moto for wheeling around and having fun when camping.
2nd pic is right outside Carbondale.

The e-moto is called Terra Bikes. This is was a big reason I had to have the onboard genny. Terra is a company I'm starting after building two e-moto (a stealth bomber frame from China, and a Terra Scout, my first prototype — 2nd prototype should be done by Feb).

I'll be pushing Terra hard in the spring, w/ preorder sales happening early to mid-summer. Best place to follow along right now is Instagram.com/terra_bikes
Sponsored