Sponsored

21 Powerboost P04EE code thrown

victimofareload

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Lariat Power Boost
Hello everyone. I wanted to start a thread here to document what's been going on with my powerboost. As well as a small timeline. I can't find anything on the internet after some google-fu. So I'm listing it here so hopefully someone else can find it in the future.

So 481 miles on the clock of my new 21 Lariat Powerboost (Crew cab, 6.5ft bed) I start the truck and notice the check engine light is illuminated. Shocked I turn the truck off and back on. Still there. So I go grab my trusty bluetooth ODB2 reader (Didn't think I'd need him so soon). Current active code of P04EE. Google doesn't really return much. Truck has no drivability issues. Gobs of power. No misfires I can feel. No shuddering or studdering. It seems totally fine.

Checking the app I have a alert about "Malfunction indicator lamp". It states that the truck detected a small evaporative leak that has allowed fuel vapors to be released into the atmosphere. I had to go to the dealer I purchased from anyways to get a small nic on the passenger mirror fixed so I asked them to look at it then.

9/11: Dealer trip, Service reported that the purge valve was "Stuck" and they "Unstuck it". CEL cleared.

Few days later the CEL is illuminated again (1280 miles now on the clock). Same code, Same message in fordpass.

9/22: Dealer trip, My local dealer this time. I really don't like this dealer because of past experiences. But they're a 5 minute drive away. They claim they found TSB 21-2229 addressed this issue. And they "Reprogrammed the TCM". CEL cleared once again.

Now, I looked up this TSB. It didn't seem to have ANYTHING to do with the codes I had. It seemed to be related to error messages from the pro power onboard system. My truck does have PPOB 7.2. But I've had no issues or errors with it. Whatever, I didn't question it.

Well, surprise surprise. CEL lights again shortly thereafter. I don't have the time to take in right away. Specially given that it drives totally fine. 1998 on the clock when I take it in.

10/25: Dealer trip, Same local dealer. They claim that this was a stored code from their last repair and that they've cleared it. I argue that isn't how codes work. And that I don't like that answer. Service chick says the shop Forman looked at it and agreed that was the fix. When i get there to pick it up. She's all "I know this is bittersweet because you want it fixed, but don't think it will fix it". I tell her that I'm 100% sure that I will be seeing her in a few days time. CEL cleared once again.

I was right. Didn't get 20 miles on the clock before it came back. Furthermore. The plastic panel on the left side of the dash has popped out on the first cold day we had (Florida). Won't clip back in at the top.

11/15: Dealer trip. Took me awhile to make it back again (2441 on the clock). This time they replace the purge valve and some O2 sensor. I can get part numbers if anyone is interested. I'm told the dealer drove the truck a bunch (Service guy said "multiple times") (And they had it for 4 days). Despite only putting 3 miles on the clock. I do like fordpass for monitoring their work remotely. I'm hopeful that this is the fix I've been waiting on for months. That they're finally doing some work on it that isn't just clearing the code, or performing unrelated TSB's. CEL again cleared.

Well, Despite my hopefulness, CEL back on again. Took longer this time. Also now have a misfire code. Just saw in Fordpass, Didn't pull the code with my OBD reader. But I've felt 0 misfires or any issues. So this one surprised me.

11/29: Back to the dealer again (And they still have it as of writing this). Went in with 2934 on the clock. I demanded they reach out to ford for help. I also demanded a comp'd full syn oil change. And I told them if they keep it for more then two days they're giving me a loaner truck. They're on day 2 now (I always drop it off at 7:30 before work, they they had it all day Monday). Can't wait to hear what BS they have in store for me this time.

A bit frustrating on my brand-new 68K MSRP truck. I'm considering talking to my legal person about starting the lemon law process to maybe get their attention. I love the truck, And I don't want to get rid of it. But I want them to fix it.

I'll post more updates as I get them. Hopefully this helps some poor bastard googling for this too.
Sponsored

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
Typical expected experience of a Ford dealer.

Find a better dealer. I wouldn’t let them change my oil after reading what you’ve experienced.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
If that is the only code you are setting each time the CEL light is on, then I'm surprised they aren't checking a faulty capless gas cap. Or the internal check valve itself. It's not even a rare issue on these trucks for several years now.

Ford F-150 21 Powerboost P04EE code thrown Screenshot_20211130-211951_OneDrive

OP
OP
victimofareload

victimofareload

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Lariat Power Boost
If that is the only code you are setting each time the CEL light is on, then I'm surprised they aren't checking a faulty capless gas cap. Or the internal check valve itself. It's not even a rare issue on these trucks for several years now.

Screenshot_20211130-211951_OneDrive.jpg
Where is this screenshot from if you don't mind me asking?

Dealer got me a rental today and said they did an evap test on it and the tank filler leaked. So they're replacing that. What gets me cheesed off is that if this screenshot is like official ford documents. It's literally telling them where the leak is. Very clearly. Why did they Fu** around with the purge valve (Which I believe is under the hood). Like the computer spelled it out for them.

And yeah, This is the closest dealer. I think this will be the last time I go to them. The rental place they work with locally (Thrifty) is the grimyest dirtiest, run by the nastiest people I've ever seen.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It is from exactly what you think it is. And there is a thread around here somewhere where you can purchase it for your VIN

I want to defend "the dealership" a little by expressing my own personal view of why you got such lousy customer service......
It's not so much the Dealership, because that is technically just where the PEOPLE are employed. The actual people that aren't qualified, again in my opinion.
You can go to the next dealership, or even an independent down the block and find unqualified people working on customers cars.
The real problem is that there just aren't enough people available to any employer, that are actually masters of their craft.
That's a problem that applies to almost every profession these days, but especially to the trades, so to speak.
Odds are that at a dealership that has say 10 or 20 or even more technicians/mechanics, it is very likely that there's a couple of guys or gals that are carrying the flag. Folks that not only have the skill, but also the talent. The problem is that your vehicle statistically isn't going to end up in the right bay.
It's a bummer indeed. If you ever find you a real professional, stick with them. But fair warning, the line is usually even longer for that bay. :)

OP
OP
victimofareload

victimofareload

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Lariat Power Boost
It is from exactly what you think it is. And there is a thread around here somewhere where you can purchase it for your VIN

I want to defend "the dealership" a little by expressing my own personal view of why you got such lousy customer service......
It's not so much the Dealership, because that is technically just where the PEOPLE are employed. The actual people that aren't qualified, again in my opinion.
You can go to the next dealership, or even an independent down the block and find unqualified people working on customers cars.
The real problem is that there just aren't enough people available to any employer, that are actually masters of their craft.
That's a problem that applies to almost every profession these days, but especially to the trades, so to speak.
Odds are that at a dealership that has say 10 or 20 or even more technicians/mechanics, it is very likely that there's a couple of guys or gals that are carrying the flag. Folks that not only have the skill, but also the talent. The problem is that your vehicle statistically isn't going to end up in the right bay.
It's a bummer indeed. If you ever find you a real professional, stick with them. But fair warning, the line is usually even longer for that bay. :)
Oh yeah, For sure. I'm a telecommunication engineer and see the same all the time in my own profession. The stance I take on that however is that my truck should've made it to "that bay" on it's second trip. Not the 5th. Every additional trip made me more and more aggravated. But added to it now is the fact that the stored DTC literally spelled out where the problem was. You don't need to be a master of the craft to read exactly what you shared.

Anyways /rant. Thank you for your assistance.

I'll update more as I know more. So far we're waiting on parts and they expect to have the truck back to me tomorrow (Thursday). Still haven't heard what the deal was with the misfires. So far they have cleared all codes on the truck (per fordpass) and it still sits at 2934 on the clock.

allJUMPstyle

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1964 VW Bug, 1963 VW Doublecab, 2021 F-150 ordered
What is this mysterious thing you reference and where can i buy one?

ssimpala1901

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 PowerBoost 2015 EB Mustang
Occupation
Navy Vet
Have the same issue started today @ 432 miles. just picked up this truck on Saturday.
"
MALFUNCTION INDICATOR
LAMP - REGULATORY

The emission control system has detected a very small leak in the evaporative control system which can allow fuel vapors to escape into the atmosphere. "

The message above does not clear when the truck is turned off

Sponsored

OP
OP
victimofareload

victimofareload

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Lariat Power Boost
Have the same issue started today @ 432 miles. just picked up this truck on Saturday.
"
MALFUNCTION INDICATOR
LAMP - REGULATORY

The emission control system has detected a very small leak in the evaporative control system which can allow fuel vapors to escape into the atmosphere. "

The message above does not clear when the truck is turned off
Yup. Almost exactly how long mine took.

Dealer still has mine. They say they are waiting on parts. I'm guessing the parts ordered is a new fuel filler neck or capless flange thing.

At least I'm not the only one (sorry).

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It's a little perplexing that after many years of building these vehicles, manufacturers have so many issues with the fuel vapor systems. But as stated earlier, it's not uncommon.
But I gotta admit that it's amazing how sensitive the monitoring system is on these same vehicles. So the manufacturers can build reliable sophisticated monitoring systems, but the components that they are actually monitoring? Not so much. Lol

OP
OP
victimofareload

victimofareload

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Lariat Power Boost
Just as an update they still have my truck. They're not communicating with me for shit and I reached out to my service manager yesterday and he said parts aren't in, he'll check tomorrow. Today he says parts still aren't in but he'll see if he can track them. I say ok please let me know before end of day. He says okay. Two minutes later I can an email from Ford Corporate about my case. She says she spoke to my service manager and the parts will be in tomorrow, fixed over the weekend. And ready for pickup monday morning. So he's telling me one thing, and telling ford another. I really hate these games. I found a cell number for the VP of the dealership. So I've reached out to him to see if he can get this straightened up.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Is the truck un-drivable with the fuel vapor leak?

OP
OP
victimofareload

victimofareload

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Lariat Power Boost
Is the truck un-drivable with the fuel vapor leak?
Not at all. Drives perfectly fine. (Well, Still don't know what the misfire code was from).

But they wanted to keep it. They did give me a rental Tuesday. So I'm not totally put out.

Also found out they didn't order the parts till yesterday. So Likely not getting it back till Tuesday at the earliest. Now that I've got contacts with the VP and the Service director I'm getting good answers.
Sponsored