Sponsored

21-23 visual differences

mrblonde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat 502 PB
Other than more deletions every year and different color options, is the any visual differences in the 3 years? Grill, interior, etc? Other than looking at the build date on the door jam, is there any other way to tell?
Sponsored

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
As far as I know other than a few new packages being available (rattler and etc). A similarly optioned truck should look pretty identical across years.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I don’t know if a lot of the late ‘22s and many 23’s are/will be missing the fins on the roof or not, since there’s an XM and mobile hotspot delete at least on the lower trims. I’ve been trying not to pay attention, since it’s pretty depressing.

Ford F-150 21-23 visual differences 899B9ADB-1595-48BE-92B4-D9A904BEFB6C

One of the things I know for sure, is that you will be able to tell if it’s an early 2021 if the rear axle housing is super rusty! :p

OP
OP
mrblonde

mrblonde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat 502 PB
Do we know of any other vehicles in history that haven't had some change from year to year? I know the Nissans don't like change, but not sure if there wasn't a little something.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Do we know of any other vehicles in history that haven't had some change from year to year? I know the Nissans don't like change, but not sure if there wasn't a little something.
I think ford is one of the most notorious for making not only MY to MY changes but also changes mid model year, usually aligning with J1 to J2 transitions

Sponsored

OP
OP
mrblonde

mrblonde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat 502 PB
I think ford is one of the most notorious for making not only MY to MY changes but also changes mid model year, usually aligning with J1 to J2 transitions
I agree. At least the grill and wheels.

ThiccFilA

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XL Rattler 3.5Eco
I don’t know if a lot of the late ‘22s and many 23’s are/will be missing the fins on the roof or not, since there’s an XM and mobile hotspot delete at least on the lower trims. I’ve been trying not to pay attention, since it’s pretty depressing.

899B9ADB-1595-48BE-92B4-D9A904BEFB6C.jpeg

One of the things I know for sure, is that you will be able to tell if it’s an early 2021 if the rear axle housing is super rusty! :p
I just receied a '23 Rattler, and I do indeed have these roof fins on it. This is also on a truck that had the Auto Start/Stop deleted from it, and is basically bare-bones XL besides the Rattler package. Hope that helps!

Farmerj

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2020 (2023)
I didn’t see much for deletion…

but they definitely have been consolidating packages.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I just receied a '23 Rattler, and I do indeed have these roof fins on it....Hope that helps!

That’s useful to know, I tried to look really quick at dealer’s sites but it’s hard to find the angle for the roof bumps.

Before I gave up looking for a used truck, I had to figure out what the differences were between the previous gen. models. It’s crazy how little people can know about the vehicle they own, or how lazy dealerships can be. I just have to shake my head at all the V4 and inline six F-150s Ford has manufactured in the 21st century!

Checker was pretty good with making their cars pretty identical for decades even down to the trim and taillights. I think that the only difference visually was the 74 and later 5mph bumpers and side markers. Otherwise, even something like a VW or Porsche which had the same silhouettes for decades have subtle features that can still help one narrow it down within a year or two at a glance.

There is a lot of weird Euro stuff that stayed mostly the same. Lada Niva, Tatra, and probably something that I’ve never heard of.

I bet a lot of the oddball mid year changes are financially motivated, they find a way to make the parts a little bit cheaper and just go ahead with it.

It would be really cheeky for Ford to be doing a big refresh to the gen. 14 when they are barely able to build enough to sell and the ones that they do have less than the first model year trucks!

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
I bet a lot of the oddball mid year changes are financially motivated, they find a way to make the parts a little bit cheaper and just go ahead with it.
IME it had more to do with making changes due to warranty or recall issues. Cost savings was usually reserved for MY changes or full on component changes

Sponsored

NavyChief

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150

899B9ADB-1595-48BE-92B4-D9A904BEFB6C.jpeg

I have a Sirius/xm delete and I have both of them the right one I had to change to a different antenna that had the Sirius piece in it.

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport SuperCrew 5.0L
I think the rear wheel well air deflectors were introduced for 22+ models so that may be a visible indicator of whether it's a 2021 or a 2022-23. I ditched the ones on my 2022 as I thought they looked odd so I guess you really can't judge a book by its cover.

Ford F-150 21-23 visual differences PXL_20220210_184218614

OP
OP
mrblonde

mrblonde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat 502 PB
I believe you're right.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
I have a Sirius/xm delete and I have both of them the right one I had to change to a different antenna that had the Sirius piece in it.
I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that all trucks have those caps even if there was nothing in them.

there are already a minimum of 4 different roof panels and Ford may not have wanted to introduce 2 more by having roofs with or without the cutouts for the antenna

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Other than more deletions every year and different color options, is the any visual differences in the 3 years? Grill, interior, etc? Other than looking at the build date on the door jam, is there any other way to tell?
When I took a tour of the truck plant in Dearborn a month or so ago, the tour guides said that they were in the process of changing over to the 2023 model year, but still were running 22s through the factory as needed (so they were interspersing 22s and 23s together in the line at the same time). The tour guides said that they could tell 23s from 22s by a slightly different hood design. They tried to point out the difference to me, but I couldn't see it, so I suspect that it's something that most people wouldn't notice either way, even up close.
Sponsored