Sponsored

fordhouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 LARIAT 501A FX4 V8
Honestly that shouldn't be surprising or novel. Every hybrid should have such as an option. The motors are 3 phase, there's no reason that while driving a 500w solution is used, but while stationary 1 phase of the motor's inverter can output whatever the user wants. These are things that'd cost a couple dollars in additional wiring to do from the ground up while offering customers tremendous flexibility.

Even a split phase 4.8kW capability would be nothing for these vehicles to do. We'd likely see this from tesla already if they weren't so incorrectly hellbent on selling power walls instead of intelligent solutions for customers. Every single EV and hybrid vehicle has the means to output 3 phase power, because they do it in operation already. This should be ubiquitous, not surprising.
it surprised me for sure because the hybrid Tundras don’t even offer an optional 2.4kw power inverter lol.
Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
As mentioned, Toy customers aren't interested in such things. I guess they have battery operated waffle irons when they camp? 🙄😁
It's hilarious that Toyota was able to magically ascertain that. I couldn't even think of a way to phrase the question regarding "would you like to have a power outlet in your vehicle that can power anything you can plug into a standard outlet in your home" in a manner to get people to say no. Even slipping in "...like a full size refrigerator or freezer..." -- I'd be surprised if one could even get the 'not interested' at even 5%. 90% of people would be blown away that such thing was even possible, let alone is currently already in several vehicles.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
So, are you saying that the spokesman looked the camera right in the eye and outright told a fib?

I'll go out on a limb and say if he was strapped in to a lie detector, it would have broke the needle off.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
The sad thing, is that it’s probably going to take ten years or longer for the inverter to show up on the Tundra.

and LOOK-the heater control knobs have an LED readout--and ford says NO cannot get that!
They must be reading the F150 forums!

As mentioned, Toy customers aren't interested in such things. I guess they have battery operated waffle irons when they camp? 🙄😁
Curling irons!

Sponsored

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
A bit too tacticool for my taste, I have no use for off-road features. But the hybrid 4wd would be the only midsize with a real inverter. Seating position still appears to be terrible though. I think I would still end up in F150.

Henfield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Screw 5.0,4x4,302Asport,
jeezus that lower air dam is HUGE!
That will make a great snow plow in winter.

Apart from that, they actually thought through this redesign. Its really promising.....but reality will strike soon. With the test drives.

bushpilot

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 F150, 4x4, 3.5L, PB 7.2KW, Platinum
That will make a great snow plow in winter.

Apart from that, they actually thought through this redesign. Its really promising.....but reality will strike soon. With the test drives.
the interior looks very similar to the F150....personally I think the exterior is butt ugly!

fordhouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i'm not biased at all when it comes to any automotive pickup truck brand with the exception of NISSAN (ugly & horrible). I believe that each manufacturer has their own pros and cons. that's just my 2 cents...

Reactions: 780

Sponsored

fordhouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The sad thing, is that it’s probably going to take ten years or longer for the inverter to show up on the Tundra.

They must be reading the F150 forums!

Curling irons!
they currently have an onboard inverter.. however it is only maxed out at 400watts IIRC.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It turns out that when Toyota polled their Tacoma customers they had a completely different opinion about an onboard generator. :)

So the Tacoma Hybrid gets an almost identical size traction motor and Hybrid battery. AND a Toyota 2.4KW generator.

Not sure why they gimped the inverter size? At least should be a 30Amp 110V. But I gotta hand it to Toyota! It took until the 4th model year for someone to step up to the ProPower line.

And sadly, the new Ranger got punked with Ford innovation by Toyota.

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
I like the exterior, was never a fan of the Tacoma in the past. Has always looked like a sissy truck, but I like this one. Very confident looking. Well done.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I like the exterior, was never a fan of the Tacoma in the past. Has always looked like a sissy truck, but I like this one. Very confident looking. Well done.
Have one in the family fleet. 2017
It can't get out of its own way. Incredibly boring to drive. The V6 in it can be as reliable as an anvil, admittedly, but it's out of breath at 60mph.

This new Turbo 2.4, on paper, spanks it pretty good. And in Hybrid trim, a whole nuther animal. Looking forward to it living up to what it LOOKS like it should be.

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
Have one in the family fleet. 2017
It can't get out of its own way. Incredibly boring to drive. The V6 in it can be as reliable as an anvil, admittedly, but it's out of breath at 60mph.

This new Turbo 2.4, on paper, spanks it pretty good. And in Hybrid trim, a whole nuther animal. Looking forward to it living up to what it LOOKS like it should be.
Maybe it’s just “me” but I’ve always felt like Toyotas are just cheap plastic.

I have a lot of friends who swear by them. I’ve spent a lot of time in them AND driving them and I won’t deny that they are one hell of an “off-road” animal. AND very reliable. The ICE ones anyway.

But the difference between hopping in a Tundra and closing the door –vs- hopping in my F150…

It’s like going from a Fischer Price to a Caterpillar.
Sponsored