Sponsored

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
I think Ford wants to keep the Lightning in its own bracket. Same reason the 7.3 Godzilla is seriously power neutered, they don’t want the big gasser eating into their huge profit margin diesel motor sales. Ford now sells a factory crate “MegaZilla” version of the 7.3 that is pushing out 640 lb ft of torque @3,800 rpm naturally aspirated for enthusiasts. Yet in the Super Duty is is tuned down to 485 lb ft. It’s all market segmentation. If they make the ICE F-150 as powerful as the lightning that can cut into lightning sales.
Ford F-150 2024 Ranger & 405hp Ranger Raptor Revealed For U.S.! 🦖 IMG_4261
Sponsored

Last edited:

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
If they make the ICE F-150 as powerful as the lightning that can cut into lightning sales.
Not sure that'd be a bad thing for the bean counters -- Ford lost $60k per EV sold last year. The lightning is at best a grocery getter w/ current EV infrastructure and battery charging capabilities. I mean you could possibly tow a trailer if you didn't have to go more than 100 miles or so round trip. Then of course there's the occasional hiccup -- the charging system can only work with your various accounts automatically if the vehicle syncs up. I've been making a habit of taking a particular trip and stopping off to burn my free charging and the MME decided it didn't want to talk to the charger. Had I not already planned for potential charging issues I would have had to come out of pocket for to charge.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Ford now sells a factory crate “MegaZilla” version of the 7.3 that is pushing out 640 lb ft of torque @3,800 rpm
Still no comparison with the 6.7L PowerStroke HO:

2023 High Output1,200 lb-ft @ 1,800 rpm

Twice the torque at half the RPM.

Reactions: 780

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Still no comparison with the 6.7L PowerStroke HO:

2023 High Output1,200 lb-ft @ 1,800 rpm

Twice the torque at half the RPM.
The 6.7 HO can’t even get that power down without ripping apart the transmission is what tuners are finding. The ECM doesn’t allow full torque till like 5th gear and by that time you are all ready rolling 80 MPH. It is still unclear whether the HO is even faster than the standard PowerStoke with the torque management built in to protect the transmission. I maintain a 640 lb ft gas big block would sway a lot of people from spending $11,000 on the 6.7L diesel, I think even up in the mid 500’s torque it would.

The diesel is getting harder to justify with sky high fuel prices and the maintenance costs.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
The 6.7 HO can’t even get that power down without ripping apart the transmission is what tuners are finding. The ECM doesn’t allow full torque till like 5th gear and by that time you are all ready rolling 80 MPH. It is still unclear whether the HO is even faster than the standard PowerStoke with the torque management built in to protect the transmission. I maintain a 640 lb ft gas big block would sway a lot of people from spending $11,000 on the 6.7L diesel, I think even up in the mid 500’s torque it would.

The diesel is getting harder to justify with sky high fuel prices and the maintenance costs.
Interesting. So, under load while towing heavy the transmissions are failing, or are tuners flooring the throttle on a dyno? Are the transmissions too weak? Does Ford typically make poor Super Duty transmissions? If so, that's a huge black eye for Ford. GMC touts their Allisons. Perhaps they should.

Sponsored

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Interesting. So, under load while towing heavy the transmissions are failing, or are tuners flooring the throttle on a dyno? Are the transmissions too weak? Does Ford typically make poor Super Duty transmissions? If so, that's a huge black eye for Ford. GMC touts their Allisons. Perhaps they should.
They aren’t failing, they have taken note Ford purposely limits the torque in the first few gears to protect drivetrain components. 1200 lb ft is too much for the transmission, driveshaft yolks, U-joints to handle from a dig. To protect your components Ford limits the torque in the first few gears. But many going for the standard output PowerStroke are arguing that if you can’t use it until you are up to speed on the HO what good is it? I still think it’s an incredible engine, and the 10R140 is not an unreliable transmission at all. 1200 lb ft is just too much to safely put down without some Nanny limitations.

Now running up the Ike in 5th or 6th gear? Yes I’d bet the HO is putting down the full 1,200 lb ft. So I would say you can argue there are plenty of situations where it can still be used.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
They aren’t failing, they have taken note Ford purposely limits the torque in the first few gears to protect drivetrain components. 1200 lb ft is too much for the transmission, driveshaft yolks, U-joints to handle from a dig. To protect your components Ford limits the torque in the first few gears. But many going for the standard output PowerStroke are arguing that if you can’t use it until you are up to speed on the HO what good is it? I still think it’s an incredible engine, and the 10R140 is not an unreliable transmission at all. 1200 lb ft is just too much to safety put down without some Nanny limitations.
I gotcha now. Thanks J

Does RAM do the same or can it's transmission handle the 850lb/ft from the go?

AVAILABLE 6.7L CUMMINS® TURBO DIESEL I6 ENGINE
  • LB-FT OF TORQUE. 850.

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
I believe the HO Cummins does employ some hefty torque management as well. You can dive pretty deep into the stuff, it’s interesting. They are all incredible engine packages. It’s not that you can’t get the torque out of them, it’s just more so that it throws it down in a unique circumstance (when you need it). Mid gears hauling a heavy load up a mountain? Yea you will get it there. Flooring it off a red light empty? Probably not until you are all ready on your speed limiter :ROFLMAO:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I'm pretty sure that same torque management strategy is deployed on multiple Fords, as well as other manufacturers.

That's why you need aftermarket tuners that REALLY know your platform, because lots of these modern engines are making crazy power. It's easy for them to just remove software limits and get a smile from the customer. But doing it in a manner that doesn't break stuff requires expertise.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
I believe the HO Cummins does employ some hefty torque management as well. You can dive pretty deep into the stuff, it’s interesting. They are all incredible engine packages. It’s not that you can’t get the torque out of them, it’s just more so that it throws it down in a unique circumstance (when you need it). Mid gears hauling a heavy load up a mountain? Yea you will get it there. Flooring it off a red light empty? Probably not until you are all ready on your speed limiter :ROFLMAO:
Speaking of speed limiters, I think the new F150 Tremor has a higher limit than I do. This morning a Dark blue Tremor and a Rapid Red PB(me) were tearing up the Beachline between I-4 and the airport. I could accelerate quicker but his top speed was beyond mine. $150,000 worth of criminal Ford shenanigans at 5:50am lol.

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Speaking of speed limiters, I think the new F150 Tremor has a higher limit than I do. This morning a Dark blue Tremor and a Rapid Red PB(me) were tearing up the Beachline between I-4 and the airport. I could accelerate quicker but his top speed was beyond mine. $150,000 worth of criminal Ford shenanigans at 5:50am lol.
The popo F150s have a 120mph top speed. Might be able to forscan it. The tires are the limiting factor though. Tread carefully :ROFLMAO:

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
My 5.0 shuts me off at 105 and the motor wants to keep going. The 5.0 is sort of unique in that it pulls harder and harder as it accelerates, most modern pickup truck engines are the opposite and are strong out of the hole then sort of die off. But she’s a Mustang motor. It’ll just be starting to get scary fast and the big fat nanny steps in and says no :rolleyes:

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
The Power Boost is in full on warp drive when it limits.

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
PowerBoost is 570 lb ft of goodness

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
This video pretty much sums up the 5.0, you can see where the horsepower takes over

Sponsored