Sponsored

2024 platinum plus pro access tailgate

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150
Yeah I noticed the Tremor also mentions Advanced Security pack as well. It’s hard to believe the top of the line trim would not have all the options available while other trims have them.
Sponsored

jdjake

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 and Explorer
That's what I was getting at. I think that they will build Plats and KRs, just without the tailgate. If you look at the Build and Price, it says that the Multi Access Tailgate removes the Tailgate Step (see below). So if it has a Tailgate Step - it does not have the new tailgate. As I showed above, currently the KR build has Tailgate Step listed, which means they are going to build it without the new tailgate until they have the new tailgate. Unknown if they offer a BS "delete" credit for this, I would guess not since you ordered it with the Tailgate Step. For some other reason Tremor is a late availability, but they have not said that KR and Plats are. If you want that new tailgate, you are likely going to need to wait until Job 2 to ensure you get it.

1695261725160.png
Well this will be interesting to see how it plays out then. I received confirmation on an order for a KR. But will want it to have the new tailgate...

wessermgm

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum SCrew, Smoked Quartz, 701a, FX4
Well this will be interesting to see how it plays out then. I received confirmation on an order for a KR. But will want it to have the new tailgate...
I had an order ready to go and I pulled it back. After speaking to Chip at Granger he said Ford has provided no guidance on tailgate availability other than "late." However, everything but Tremor will start production in December. That means they will build KR and Plats with or without the tailgates. As I have pointed out, this is basically built into the build and price as it is listing the Tailgate Step as included in current builds for these trims and the Multifunction Tailgate removes the Tailgate Step. I think when you use the configurator for a KR or Plat and Tailgate Step is gone - you will be getting a new tailgate. Until then, looks like not. I already lost the massage seats from the KR trim, I'll wait for this.

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
Why hasn't a 3rd party repopped these tailgates?
I mean you would think there would be a market for this style tailgate just by itself?
When you consider bed extenders, tailgate nets, tonneau covers and all other sorts or mods back there why hasn't someone come up with this idea and just popped em?
There are a hundred repopped grilles, and people are spending thousands on 3rd party brake lights....?????
Call "Tailgates R Us" and "I need to order a Pro Access tailgate AntiMatter Blue for a 2022...."
The original drop-down hinge and latches I would think are gonna be the same, it's just the middle hinge\clasp that is added....?

oneinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost, 2022 Maverick Lariat Lux
No multi access tailgate would be a deal breaker for me. My current (and previous) truck has the step. I like it. I don't know if the multi access tailgate is a better tailgate, but I would want it instead of the tailgate step. If for some reason I felt I needed a step, there are aftermarket tailgate step solutions. There is not an aftermarket solution for not having the multi access tailgate. No sir. No multi access tailgate no new truck for me.

Sponsored

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
I mean you would think there would be a market for this style tailgate just by itself?
When you consider bed extenders, tailgate nets, tonneau covers and all other sorts or mods back there why hasn't someone come up with this idea and just popped em?
There are a hundred repopped grilles, and people are spending thousands on 3rd party brake lights....?????
Call "Tailgates R Us" and "I need to order a Pro Access tailgate AntiMatter Blue for a 2022...."
The original drop-down hinge and latches I would think are gonna be the same, it's just the middle hinge\clasp that is added....?
Sounds like you have a business in 2024 selling tailgate upgrades. :)

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sounds like you have a business in 2024 selling tailgate upgrades. :)
LoL
I just made a post on another thread telling people to not own a business.
But then again the workaholic\ADHD me is starting to scratch his chin....
:)

jfried

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Reserved, 2022 Platinum on Order
Size & weight, specificity, complexity and engineering.

1. Tailgates are heavy and big. Aftermarket vendors would be at the mercy of multi-hundred dollar shipping costs to get these from their factory, to wherever they need to go. Grilles, even though bulky, are light, and can be easily shipped via any carrier.

2. It's not one size fits all. There are probably 14 or 15 different colours that Gen14 f150s have been factory painted in over the 3 years thus far... each tailgate would need to be custom painted to suit the truck. Plus, some are power, some are not, others, so multiply that by 2.

2a. The only way to sell them, would be primed but not painted, so that shipping damage can be rectified by an extra $100-$200 at the body shop, rather than junking the tailgate; similar to how aftermarket hoods are sold. Difference here, is that somebody's going to mock it up, then have to disassemble it for painting, then re-assemble, and call/blame you when it doesn't go back together perfectly.

Same if customer isn't happy with orange peel, or paint starts flaking, or whatever, it can get massively more expensive for the vendor.

3. Complexity. Beyond the power features of the tailgate, you'd presumably want it to lock in the same way the normal tailgate locks with the car... you'd have to do some monkeying with fords electronics at the very least.

4. The tailgate is still going to get used as tailgate, with people sitting, standing, loads sliding in, etc... that door has to withstand that abuse. The last thing you want is a lawsuit because somebody got hurt while standing on the tailgate that randomly pops open.

They would be extremely expensive to ship via tru

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Size & weight, specificity, complexity and engineering.

1. Tailgates are heavy and big. Aftermarket vendors would be at the mercy of multi-hundred dollar shipping costs to get these from their factory, to wherever they need to go. Grilles, even though bulky, are light, and can be easily shipped via any carrier.

2. It's not one size fits all. There are probably 14 or 15 different colours that Gen14 f150s have been factory painted in over the 3 years thus far... each tailgate would need to be custom painted to suit the truck. Plus, some are power, some are not, others, so multiply that by 2.

2a. The only way to sell them, would be primed but not painted, so that shipping damage can be rectified by an extra $100-$200 at the body shop, rather than junking the tailgate; similar to how aftermarket hoods are sold. Difference here, is that somebody's going to mock it up, then have to disassemble it for painting, then re-assemble, and call/blame you when it doesn't go back together perfectly.

Same if customer isn't happy with orange peel, or paint starts flaking, or whatever, it can get massively more expensive for the vendor.

3. Complexity. Beyond the power features of the tailgate, you'd presumably want it to lock in the same way the normal tailgate locks with the car... you'd have to do some monkeying with fords electronics at the very least.

4. The tailgate is still going to get used as tailgate, with people sitting, standing, loads sliding in, etc... that door has to withstand that abuse. The last thing you want is a lawsuit because somebody got hurt while standing on the tailgate that randomly pops open.

They would be extremely expensive to ship via tru
Well when the alternative is another $50,000-$75,000 truck, everything you stated is peanuts. I have seen 4 guys on here say they are buying the new truck ONLY for the tailgate. When Morimoto lights, JUST lights are $2,000 and things get freighted to people all day long, Tires, Rims, Fender Flares, Tonneau Covers, Cattle Catchers, etc. Cousin painted his rims on his Bronco AM Blue to match, painting is cake...
There is a market out there for it, trust me... frieghted engine blocks, heads, body parts, etc. Ive probably ordered more Dynacorn doors, hoods and fenders for 65-66 Mustangs than Ive owned cars.
Anyway, just an option (thats not there yet), instead of dropping $50k on a new truck just cuz it has a new taligate.

jfried

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Reserved, 2022 Platinum on Order
Well when the alternative is another $50,000-$75,000 truck, everything you stated is peanuts. I have seen 4 guys on here say they are buying the new truck ONLY for the tailgate. When Morimoto lights, JUST lights are $2,000 and things get freighted to people all day long, Tires, Rims, Fender Flares, Tonneau Covers, Cattle Catchers, etc. Cousin painted his rims on his Bronco AM Blue to match, painting is cake...
There is a market out there for it, trust me... frieghted engine blocks, heads, body parts, etc. Ive probably ordered more Dynacorn doors, hoods and fenders for 65-66 Mustangs than Ive owned cars.
Anyway, just an option (thats not there yet), instead of dropping $50k on a new truck just cuz it has a new taligate.
Not necessarily.

A set of doors (with no hardware, mechanisms, or electronics) for a 60s mustang is about $800. This is a substantially more complex piece of engineering / strength requirements than a set of doors for a 60s mustang.

Then you get into the electronic side of things -- figuring out how to make the locks work, how to make 100% sure that the door doesn't open when the tailgate is down, smashing you to the ground and itself into a trailer hitch.

When you factor in the cost of paint and shipping, I cannot forsee any situation where this costs an owner less than $5k to do.... and after spending that $5k, you're still gonna always wonder -- is this thing going to break on me. When people have a 60s mustang, they know it's a compilation of 50 year old parts and aftermarket new stuff. When people have a reasonably new F150, they need critical pieces like that to work.

All this knowing full well that Ford is coming with a factory option (even if it takes another 8 months) for this tailgate.... there's really no business here.

This spoken as somebody who will definitely not buy another F150 unless it has the new tailgate, but wouldn't even dare try to monkey with an aftermarket version, if it existed.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Not necessarily.

A set of doors (with no hardware, mechanisms, or electronics) for a 60s mustang is about $800. This is a substantially more complex piece of engineering / strength requirements than a set of doors for a 60s mustang.

Then you get into the electronic side of things -- figuring out how to make the locks work, how to make 100% sure that the door doesn't open when the tailgate is down, smashing you to the ground and itself into a trailer hitch.

When you factor in the cost of paint and shipping, I cannot forsee any situation where this costs an owner less than $5k to do.... and after spending that $5k, you're still gonna always wonder -- is this thing going to break on me.

All this knowing full well that Ford is coming with a factory option (even if it takes another 8 months) for this tailgate.... there's really no business here.
Ok

KargerHomes

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I really like to know if you order a platinum if it will come without it or if they will wait since it's supposed to be standard.

SEPA F150

First Name
Shiva
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Raptor
I really like to know if you order a platinum if it will come without it or if they will wait since it's supposed to be standard.
According to my dealer. King Ranches and Platinums will be Job 2. Kinda surprised since margins on those are much higher.

I ordered a Platinum with 703a package so possible second half of 2024 for delivery.

wessermgm

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum SCrew, Smoked Quartz, 701a, FX4
According to my dealer. King Ranches and Platinums will be Job 2. Kinda surprised since margins on those are much higher.

I ordered a Platinum with 703a package so possible second half of 2024 for delivery.
We have at least one Platinum order on this board that has been scheduled. What your dealer is saying sounds like what Chip at Granger is saying. He said there would be a very limited run of KR and Plats in Job 1 (probably just to say they are out there and maybe for some who have a priority code that indicates they need it soon). He said his sources at Ford said that the vast majority would be Job 2. I assume this means everyone with a 19 priority code.

I personally am grateful. I was going to cancel if it was scheduled for Job 1 because I want the new tailgate (and see if I could submit another order into Job 2). It is one of the reasons I ordered a 2024. I had so many deletes on my 2022 that I accepted. I am not wanting to compromise again.

SEPA F150

First Name
Shiva
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Raptor
We have at least one Platinum order on this board that has been scheduled. What your dealer is saying sounds like what Chip at Granger is saying. He said there would be a very limited run of KR and Plats in Job 1 (probably just to say they are out there and maybe for some who have a priority code that indicates they need it soon). He said his sources at Ford said that the vast majority would be Job 2. I assume this means everyone with a 19 priority code.

I personally am grateful. I was going to cancel if it was scheduled for Job 1 because I want the new tailgate (and see if I could submit another order into Job 2). It is one of the reasons I ordered a 2024. I had so many deletes on my 2022 that I accepted. I am not wanting to compromise again.
Totally agree with you on the deletes. My 23 Raptor has the heated steering, Massage seats, some ambient lighting deleted.

Surprised Ford chose to go that route. Other manufactures didn't.

Anyway, like you I want those those things back. The tailgate I'm 50/50 on it. Just want to be back a luxury feeling truck again.
Sponsored