Sponsored

2023 - Ford is removing heated steering wheels and heated mirrors!!!! UPDATE: Heated Mirrors are now back!!!

OP
OP

WalterMitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor
For this reason is why I cancelled my ‘23 platty order. Heated mirrors and steering wheel are must for me as I live in a crazy winter in western Canada. Basically the new platty is a lariat at this point.
So you're ordering a 23 Lariat now?

I'm really bummed about no heated steering wheel. It's a feature that I never thought I needed or would want until I got a car with one back in 2014. Now it's a feature that I use a ton. With a heated steering wheel and heated seat, both of which only take about less than a minute to start working., you don't even need to use the heater on some mild cold days. Or on the really cold days, you're already being warmed while you wait for the engine temp to heat up before you put on the heater.

That said, I'm still going forward with my Tremor order. Mainly for two reasons. 1) I don't really like anything better right now, 2) Even if for some reason I feel like I want to make a change after getting it, given how bad the Supply Chain issues are, I'm pretty confident that I would be able to sell it/trade in for little to no loss.

Guess I will just invest in some decent gloves!!!
Sponsored

bwwF150

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 BMW X7, 18 Jeep JLU, 13 QX56(23 F150 replaces)
Just like heated mirrors, there’s always a chance heated steering wheel comes back. Equal chance we lose another feature/option too tho?

At some point, supply has to catch up to demand and our crazy resales will go away. Hopefully that’s multiple months/years out. Although, I recently saw ford and GM both downgraded on lesser demand concerns based on economy concerns. Who knows.

Nightshade

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Ford F-150 Lariat | '22 Ford F-350 S/D Tremor
Occupation
Firefighter Superintendent
So you're ordering a 23 Lariat now?

I'm really bummed about no heated steering wheel. It's a feature that I never thought I needed or would want until I got a car with one back in 2014. Now it's a feature that I use a ton. With a heated steering wheel and heated seat, both of which only take about less than a minute to start working., you don't even need to use the heater on some mild cold days. Or on the really cold days, you're already being warmed while you wait for the engine temp to heat up before you put on the heater.

That said, I'm still going forward with my Tremor order. Mainly for two reasons. 1) I don't really like anything better right now, 2) Even if for some reason I feel like I want to make a change after getting it, given how bad the Supply Chain issues are, I'm pretty confident that I would be able to sell it/trade in for little to no loss.

Guess I will just invest in some decent gloves!!!

That will be a negative, I'm keeping my '22 Lariat 502A, which still has all the options before Ford started removing everything off (was supposed to be a '21, converted to a '22 Lariat 502A).

I am too. That is exactly what I tell most people, you may not think you need it until you do. Oh 100%, me too because I still use it during the cold fall months and a lot during the winter months which last till late April to early May. What I don't understand is why remove the heated mirrors when they turn on the same time as the rear window? Exactly, and even when you get out to shovel the snow off the driveway, or helping someone get out while stranded in the snow, etc; you'd want to come back to a steering wheel that's heated to warm your hands!

That is fair reasons! There are some things you can already add after the fact in terms of adding harnesses, its a win-win of losing a few options in the '22 to add later than almost every single good thing that's deleted in the '23.

Nightshade

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Ford F-150 Lariat | '22 Ford F-350 S/D Tremor
Occupation
Firefighter Superintendent
Just like heated mirrors, there’s always a chance heated steering wheel comes back. Equal chance we lose another feature/option too tho?

At some point, supply has to catch up to demand and our crazy resales will go away. Hopefully that’s multiple months/years out. Although, I recently saw ford and GM both downgraded on lesser demand concerns based on economy concerns. Who knows.
I'm surprised both heated mirrors and heated steering wheel both are being removed at the same time. They'll come back eventually, just unknown when.

That is true, it will although most people are still getting the F-150s, regardless of few options being temporarily deleted; Ford still holds the upper hand because a lot of the sales are fleet-wise, companies and emergency agencies (police, fire, etc) still buy them heavily. Honestly RAM is still looking good right about now, but lets see where we're at in the new year.

OP
OP

WalterMitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor
I'm surprised both heated mirrors and heated steering wheel both are being removed at the same time. They'll come back eventually, just unknown when.

That is true, it will although most people are still getting the F-150s, regardless of few options being temporarily deleted; Ford still holds the upper hand because a lot of the sales are fleet-wise, companies and emergency agencies (police, fire, etc) still buy them heavily. Honestly RAM is still looking good right about now, but lets see where we're at in the new year.
This thread has been updated....the heated mirrors are back in play now.

Sponsored

Chipk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered - 2023 F-150 Tremor, 2023 Mazda CX-50
Do we believe, as far as the steering wheel, that it will not be able to be “upgraded” by us later so it does operate? I.e., the shortage is in the heated wheel itself?

OP
OP

WalterMitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor
Do we believe, as far as the steering wheel, that it will not be able to be “upgraded” by us later so it does operate? I.e., the shortage is in the heated wheel itself?

I have no idea, but my guess is that it won't be. Which totally sucks. We've had a recent cold snap here in the Midwest, and I've already been using the heated steering wheel function on my and my wife's vehicles....and it's only Oct.

collinma40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Just read another thread where people were talking about Ford offering a service to reinstall the heated steering wheel functionality once parts were available...something about a service bulletin? If that's true, and not just for Ford Lightnings, then I hope it only costs the $50 which was provided as a credit.

I'd also like to see what specific parts are being removed that render the heated steering wheel non functional. If it's just a chip or wire or something simple, then it should be an easy fix with after market parts.

bwwF150

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 BMW X7, 18 Jeep JLU, 13 QX56(23 F150 replaces)
On ordertrack, is all info filled in? Last update from dealer was 10-27 build, but I get many blanks on order track. It is up again on ford tracker (as many have also highlighted)

Ford F-150 2023 - Ford is removing heated steering wheels and heated mirrors!!!!  UPDATE:  Heated Mirrors are now back!!! A2CF6F9B-E14D-4661-970A-D08227407B24

Ford F-150 2023 - Ford is removing heated steering wheels and heated mirrors!!!!  UPDATE:  Heated Mirrors are now back!!! AA189C50-90C1-4C41-85FC-434A2A73743B

OP
OP

WalterMitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor
On ordertrack, is all info filled in? Last update from dealer was 10-27 build, but I get many blanks on order track. It is up again on ford tracker (as many have also highlighted)

A2CF6F9B-E14D-4661-970A-D08227407B24.jpeg

AA189C50-90C1-4C41-85FC-434A2A73743B.jpeg

All my details are filled in. My ordered on date, my order number, the VIN, it's all filled in. I don't have any blanks. But my build week isn't until 11/21.

That said, when I click on the window sticker, it says that it has not been released for this vehicle.

Sponsored

Chilidog

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, Lariat, 5.0, Fx4, 502A, Carbonized Gray
I have used my heated wheel for the first time this year. What a great feature to lose.

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
I have used my heated wheel for the first time this year. What a great feature to lose.
Me too, but I live in FL. Its the first time in my life. It wasn't even that cold, but I was curious because it was a bit nippy (like mid/upper 50s). I was surprised how fast it heated up and could see how it could help warm you up on a cold morning up north.

Chilidog

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, Lariat, 5.0, Fx4, 502A, Carbonized Gray
Me too, but I live in FL. Its the first time in my life. It wasn't even that cold, but I was curious because it was a bit nippy (like mid/upper 50s). I was surprised how fast it heated up and could see how it could help warm you up on a cold morning up north.
We've already had temps below freezing in St. Louis so the heated wheel is very nice on the hands. Kinda like holding a warm cup of coffee only better!

OP
OP

WalterMitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor

Yup.....the speed is what makes it really nice. I work in Chicago, and live in the burbs, and it so nice to flip the switch on the steer wheel and the seat, and in less than 1 minute you start to feel the heat. Makes a huge difference on super cold days, where it might take 5-10 minutes before it's "safe" to turn your cars heater on.

My wife's old SUV even had a sort of "smart" remote start feature. If it was cold, not only did the auto start happen, but the system would turn on your seat and steering wheel too. And in the summer, it would turn on your AC.

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Yup.....the speed is what makes it really nice. I work in Chicago, and live in the burbs, and it so nice to flip the switch on the steer wheel and the seat, and in less than 1 minute you start to feel the heat. Makes a huge difference on super cold days, where it might take 5-10 minutes before it's "safe" to turn your cars heater on.

My wife's old SUV even had a sort of "smart" remote start feature. If it was cold, not only did the auto start happen, but the system would turn on your seat and steering wheel too. And in the summer, it would turn on your AC.
I don't know about the Gen14, but in my '17 there was an option for the remote start to set the HVAC to auto based on what it thought it needed or "the last settings" (from when you were in the truck).

I always chose the latter, but maybe the Gen 14 has this same setting?
Sponsored