Sponsored

FirstTimeFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Platinum BAP 4x4 5.3L Iconic Silver
Surprisingly, my dealer is allowing me to take the same model from their lot, test drive it over the weekend, and if it does not have any tranny issues, they will swap even with me. Otherwise, it's way about 3-4 weeks before they can get to it, then no idea how long to diagnose and repair it.
Yikes, thats a sign of the times right there. Not so long ago there were zero options to drive off the lot, much less like for like. Mine is going in tomorrow morning for the random clunk I get from 4 to 3. Since there's no repair procedure in place from Ford at this time regarding the "extra screw" recall, I'm not even gonna bring it up. I'll be using my parking brake until I know I'm in the clear though. Would suck if they said gear 4-3 issue resolved, however we can't release your truck until we know it doesn't have the extra screw issue. From reading the bulletin, federal law prohibits them from allowing new vehicles or demos to leave the lot if they fall within the recall timeline parameters of production. Not sure how that impacts vehicles that have already left the lot and come back in, but I don't want to find out the hard way. Good luck to us both! Will follow-up. Might be worth checking the build date on your swap vehicle you intend taking.
Sponsored

Spiffy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 platinum powerboost
Occupation
Retired
Don't know what trim level your other truck had like heated steering wheel but make sure the new truck is not full of factory deletes. I got lucky. I bought a build 2 2022. All the hardware for all the cool options were still being built in to the truck but ford started to turn off stuff in the computers in anticipation that the hardware was not going into 2023. Turning on my heated steering wheel and adding the contor seats was just a small programing issue. The 2023 will never get the deleted items.

OP
OP
Sonnie

Sonnie

First Name
Sonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
FFL Dealer
Yeah... I don't care for any of the deleted items myself... especially that Start/Stop feature. I'd disable it anyway. I don't care anything about massage seats, or park assist. I might like heated steering, but not a deal-breaker by any means. We don't have all that much really cold weather here.

Spiffy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 platinum powerboost
Occupation
Retired
I'm getting a custom system installed next week replacing the B&O unleashed system.
I going with the pac audio a2b converter then out on digital to a 8 channel jl audio vxi amp. I'm using the pillar tweets, dash 3 inch, front door 6 inch, rear door speakers, jl audio mono amp feed into jl audio 10w3 subs set into a custom built behind seat enclosure. Design stolen from others. The intire system is going to be tuned with jl audios MAX system.
This exact design has won triple crown awards.
All this is going to be done by a very reputable shop.
My job thus weekend is to apply sound deadening. The purpose is for low frequency response. Not to concerned about road noise so here is my question.
Knowing that I only want to remove resonance vibration and increase mid base response what would the minimum sound deadening needed?
I read that there is a point of diminished returns when loading up tons of material. The concensus was the sweet spot is 30% coverage to eliminate and deaden resonance. I'm planing on doing the outer skin and inner sheet metal of the doors and the back cab panel.
Luckily I have a platinum so the truck has extensive floor sound barrier already.
Where should I focus?

I have seen alot of videos where some have gone way overboard and spent a ton of money for not much return over 50% coverage.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sonnie

Sonnie

First Name
Sonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
FFL Dealer
Passenger side doors are done. I'm a fan of Resonix dampening, but I did use the Soundskin precut layer for the inside. It was so much easier being precut. Resonix CLD did go all on the inside of the outer skin, along with Guardian from Resonix, and the Resonix Fiber 45 on the door panel. The Guardian was a little more difficult to work with as it is very fragile. I found it easier to manage if cut up into smaller pieces.

Ford F-150 2023 Ford F150 Platinum B&O Unleashed (the leash broke) - System Upgrade - Here We Go Again! 1679190361422

Ford F-150 2023 Ford F150 Platinum B&O Unleashed (the leash broke) - System Upgrade - Here We Go Again! 1679189539563

Ford F-150 2023 Ford F150 Platinum B&O Unleashed (the leash broke) - System Upgrade - Here We Go Again! 1679189680825

Ford F-150 2023 Ford F150 Platinum B&O Unleashed (the leash broke) - System Upgrade - Here We Go Again! 1679189244199

Spiffy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 platinum powerboost
Occupation
Retired
What are you doing for the pillar and 3 inch dash speakers? I am using the factorys. They sound great but I feel they need to be a little less harsh.
My 10tw3 sound absolutely awesome. I have it mounted in a ripped off design behind the seat. I used rew to do some measurements and it's strong down to 12hz. I absolutely love sub sonic bass.
Have been playing with timing and phase. I think I have things dialed in pretty well. My amps are JL vxi Amps. I have a tune software called tun 4. Its been fun dialing every thing in.

I pretty much need to upgrade the dash pillar speakers to smooth things out.

OP
OP
Sonnie

Sonnie

First Name
Sonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
FFL Dealer
What are you doing for the pillar and 3 inch dash speakers? I am using the factorys. They sound great but I feel they need to be a little less harsh.
My 10tw3 sound absolutely awesome. I have it mounted in a ripped off design behind the seat. I used rew to do some measurements and it's strong down to 12hz. I absolutely love sub sonic bass.
Have been playing with timing and phase. I think I have things dialed in pretty well. My amps are JL vxi Amps. I have a tune software called tun 4. Its been fun dialing every thing in.

I pretty much need to upgrade the dash pillar speakers to smooth things out.
I have the BLAM wideband 3" dash speakers to replace what is in the dash. Probably won't use the tweeters. Love the JL subs... always do well for me.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Passenger side doors are done. I'm a fan of Resonix dampening, but I did use the Soundskin precut layer for the inside. It was so much easier being precut. Resonix CLD did go all on the inside of the outer skin, along with Guardian from Resonix, and the Resonix Fiber 45 on the door panel. The Guardian was a little more difficult to work with as it is very fragile. I found it easier to manage if cut up into smaller pieces.
did ya re-grease the window rails? Was it as much fun as I said it was?

Nothing on the door card, or is it under the 'pillow'? My OCD had me tapping everywhere listening for plasticy higher freq sounds. I also foamed the DDM / PDM (ECUs in the doors, found they could vibrate).

What's your amp / speaker strategy? Apologize if I've missed it. I've kept that lil JBL 8 channel in as I contemplate on going a different amp route as the center channel, even w/ the stock speaker in it, is a difference I'm not really willing to forego. I do love the C3 1" tweets though, turned down of course.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sonnie

Sonnie

First Name
Sonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
FFL Dealer
did ya re-grease the window rails? Was it as much fun as I said it was?

Nothing on the door card, or is it under the 'pillow'? My OCD had me tapping everywhere listening for plasticy higher freq sounds. I also foamed the DDM / PDM (ECUs in the doors, found they could vibrate).

What's your amp / speaker strategy? Apologize if I've missed it. I've kept that lil JBL 8 channel in as I contemplate on going a different amp route as the center channel, even w/ the stock speaker in it, is a difference I'm not really willing to forego. I do love the C3 1" tweets though, turned down of course.
lol... it really wasn't that bad. I don't think I got the first bit of grease on me, or it got rubbed into my long sleeve shirt I was wearing to protect my arms from getting scarred up. It was definitely a tight working area though. I padded the ECU ... and between the panel and the door. I did not notice any rattles when I was banging on the door to test it. Very solid. The outside is dead all over. Like knocking on a brick wall.

I have the Audison SR digital amps powering a JL dual 12 Stealth box, the BLAM 8" in the doors and the BLAM 3" wideband in the dash... with factory rear doors being used for the rear fill. My wife doesn't care much for listening when we are together... she likes to talk. Now when she's by herself in her car... watch out... you can hear her coming down the driveway.

Here's what's in the back of hers... the HAT in the front.

Ford F-150 2023 Ford F150 Platinum B&O Unleashed (the leash broke) - System Upgrade - Here We Go Again! 1679236829424

tonyd9448

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Platinum w/BAP
First, awesome write up, and awesome build (so far). I came across this thread while doing a google search about the overpowering center channel on the unleashed sound system - I'm glad to see that I'm not alone. I may try as others have suggested and unplug that speaker. Has anyone had luck swapping to a speaker with higher resistance to see if that calms it down a bit?

SoundsGoodStereo

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
soundsgoodstereo.com
Vehicles
F-150
First, awesome write up, and awesome build (so far). I came across this thread while doing a google search about the overpowering center channel on the unleashed sound system - I'm glad to see that I'm not alone. I may try as others have suggested and unplug that speaker. Has anyone had luck swapping to a speaker with higher resistance to see if that calms it down a bit?

Going higher impedance will usually only change about 1-2db. Maybe if you could find a 16-ohm driver that can handle the UV, that might work.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
The simple way is to put a 10k resistor inline w/ it. You could do it w/ quick splices.

OP
OP
Sonnie

Sonnie

First Name
Sonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
FFL Dealer
Got a few more things done today.

Bass knob mounted below and to the left of the steering wheel column.

Ford F-150 2023 Ford F150 Platinum B&O Unleashed (the leash broke) - System Upgrade - Here We Go Again! 1679625487112

miniDSP remote mounted out of the way, but there when I need it.

Ford F-150 2023 Ford F150 Platinum B&O Unleashed (the leash broke) - System Upgrade - Here We Go Again! 1679625571641

After using Resonix CLD on the rear floor and rear wall, I also installed Resonix Fiber 45 on the back wall in any place it would fit. Mostly in the lower areas because it was already very tight up top. I was able to install it across the back seats and fill in the space underneath the carpet going across the back seat.

Ford F-150 2023 Ford F150 Platinum B&O Unleashed (the leash broke) - System Upgrade - Here We Go Again! 1679625819078

I added Fiber 45 anywhere there was extra space.

Ford F-150 2023 Ford F150 Platinum B&O Unleashed (the leash broke) - System Upgrade - Here We Go Again! 1679625972957
Sponsored