First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Occupation
Controls Engineer
I know what I said... my wife and a few others have reminded me several times. "This will be my last one." "I'm not doing it again." "The factory system sounds fine... going to leave it in there." "Too lazy to do it any longer." Excuses and procrastination galore! I guess I just can't stand it and want to punish myself one more time (that's what you said last time). At 61 you would seriously think I've grown out of it... nope!

I usually trade about every 18-24 months, but I had to wait a little longer this round because either nothing was available or there were $10K addendums added to the sticker prices. Prices finally got right recently, and I worked out a deal to trade in my 2020 Ram for this 2023 F150 Platinum. It has the B&O Unleashed system, which is literally going to get unleashed from the truck. It's really the best factory system I have heard in a vehicle, but that makes it no fun, right? Even with it being the best factory system I've heard, it's not up to par for the car audio guru... and even though I said it would be fine, I'm still cutting the leash.

Factory display is very nice... like a mini TV, and thankfully it won't play video discs.

1676328198176-png.png
1676331432593-png.png

First things first... gotta get it all ordered up. Equipment and acoustical treatments.

Prompts to several who are taking my money.

Most everyone in the car audio world knows miniDSP with Dirac Live by now, and I don't think there is a better way to tune a car audio system than with this processor. You may be the best tuner in the world, but I'll get very close to what you can do, and I'll use the C-DSP 8x12DL. FULLY my OPINION ... you have a right to suggest otherwise. miniDSP C-DSP 8x12 DL Tuning Step by Step Guide

1676331055558-png.png

Nick over at Resonix is handling most of the sound deadening, decoupling, and absorption materials to help keep the rattles down and perhaps cure some noises.

Then there's a newcomer... Jon from All Things Aquatic in KC. https://www.allthingsaquatickc.com/ ... (met him here on this forum). Jon started out installing systems on boats, and it filtered over into car audio, so he now does both. He can work out some worthy package deals if you need a few items. He's handling the amps, speakers, amp rack, integration, and some of the wiring for me. It would be worth a phone call or email to him if you need something.

The mObridge DA-G2.ENTRY A2B FORD will handle integrating the B&O system to the miniDSP via Toslink (optical). This takes the factory outputs and cleans them up, and also allows adjustment of the mono sinks such as Phone, Navigation, PDC, and Voice recognition to compensate for OEM systems that may need adjustment.

1676329256455-png.png

Three of the Audison SR amps will provide power to the system. The SR 1.500 will provide 800 watts @ 2 ohms to the JL Audio Stealthbox SB-F-150-SCDBL/12TW3/BK.

1676329607772-png.png

1676329720510-png.png

I had the JL Stealthbox with dual 10TW3 subs in my 2020 Ram, and it was absolutely astounding. It has to be one of the cleanest subs that play as low as anything I've ever heard in a vehicle. I hope the dual 12s will be as good or better in the F150. There are some that get louder, but this one hits plenty hard for my liking.

Then we have the SR 4.500 4-channel amp that will provide 220 watts @ 2 ohms to each of the BLAM Signature WS 8.100 8" woofers that will be mounted in the doors. This is my first time installing 8" drivers in the doors, but Jon has me a set of 6x9 to 8" adaptors coming that will do the job. The other two channels will handle the BLAM Signature MS 3.55 midrange dash speakers. They are 3-ohm speakers, so the amp should be rated at 175 watts for each of these. Not that I'll need that much power, but the headroom will be there.

1676330172619-png.png

The other Audison amp will be the SR 4.300 that is rated at 85 watts @ 4 ohms, and it will handle the BLAM Signature TSM 25 S 45 1" soft dome tweeter and the factory rear doors for the differential rear fill.

1676330679727-png.png

BLAM was founded by one of the fellows that left Focal several years ago... all made in France. Supposedly on the high-end side... definitely on the expensive side.

1676330901449-png.png

1676330922218-png.png

1676330943582-png.png

All the electronics will be mounted on the amp rack behind the rear seat...
1676331163411-png.png

That pretty much wraps it up for the installation goods... I think.

I'll take some pics along the way and post them up.
I am currently working with Jon @ ATA as well. I ordered the Sounds Good Stereo behind the seat stealth box. I got Infinity Kappa 6x9 components for up front and 6.5 coax in the back. I’m doing a 4 phase upgrade. Phase 1 and 2 timing depends on what shows up first.

1. Sub box with Audio Contol LC2i to tap into B&O.
2. Door speaker install and sound deadening (also replacing door harnesses to gain folding mirrors and memory seats)
3. Mobridge and Audison installation.
4. Floor sound deadening when I swap my seats out.
Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I am currently working with Jon @ ATA as well. I ordered the Sounds Good Stereo behind the seat stealth box. I got Infinity Kappa 6x9 components for up front and 6.5 coax in the back. I’m doing a 4 phase upgrade. Phase 1 and 2 timing depends on what shows up first.

2. Door speaker install and sound deadening (also replacing door harnesses to gain folding mirrors and memory seats)
I haven't pulled out all of the carpet, but ford has already applied a significant amount of their NVH compound under the floor (in the front at least), the rear requires it however. The doors are a pain to get adequate coverage in the bottom areas and requires some contortionist moves to get in there good. Be sure to reapply lithium grease on the window guides once you're done as you're going to end up with a lot of it missing from the tracks after you grease up your arms / sleeves.

Given the construction of the doors and the flex of the aluminum, I decided against block-off plates instead using the thick plastic attenuated with the butyl rubber to allow it to do more of the flexing than the doors. The outer door panels are bonded to the brace beams via a polyurethane like adhesive and I'd found that some of it was already separating. I reinforced the factory adhesive as well as added polyurethane in various forms to reinforce the bond. If you choose this route do pay attention to where water can accumulate. I first cleaned the inside of the doors with a hose equipped steamer as there's residual over spray, dirt, and pollen that's accumulated in them, followed up with alcohol and a microfiber.

I caution those strictly using block-off plates without paying any attention to how the exterior door skin is bonded to the structure beams. I could see a situation where time and pressure eventually break the rest of the adhesive loose creating a situation where the entire exterior panel of the door becomes a passive radiator.

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
I haven't pulled out all of the carpet, but ford has already applied a significant amount of their NVH compound under the floor (in the front at least), the rear requires it however. The doors are a pain to get adequate coverage in the bottom areas and requires some contortionist moves to get in there good. Be sure to reapply lithium grease on the window guides once you're done as you're going to end up with a lot of it missing from the tracks after you grease up your arms / sleeves.

Given the construction of the doors and the flex of the aluminum, I decided against block-off plates instead using the thick plastic attenuated with the butyl rubber to allow it to do more of the flexing than the doors. The outer door panels are bonded to the brace beams via a polyurethane like adhesive and I'd found that some of it was already separating. I reinforced the factory adhesive as well as added polyurethane in various forms to reinforce the bond. If you choose this route do pay attention to where water can accumulate. I first cleaned the inside of the doors with a hose equipped steamer as there's residual over spray, dirt, and pollen that's accumulated in them, followed up with alcohol and a microfiber.

I caution those strictly using block-off plates without paying any attention to how the exterior door skin is bonded to the structure beams. I could see a situation where time and pressure eventually break the rest of the adhesive loose creating a situation where the entire exterior panel of the door becomes a passive radiator.
Good info there. Note to self; start working on my fully enclosed door speakers/boxes, lol.

Seriously, why has no one manufactured enclosed door speakers? I used Monitor Audio in my house for my ceiling and in-wall speakers, just because they are fully enclosed and tuned to the enclosed volume; vs an entire wall cavity.

I know, I know, space is tight, but you do not need much for a midrange speaker; and there are a lot of people smarter than I😂.

Anyway, rant over. You guys are making it really hard not to upgrade the stereo; I promised I wouldn’t 😅

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Remember aluminum is much different than steel. If you're too rough on the inside of the door w/ tools, it can show up on the outside. It'd be awesome if someone made a blow molded cavity box for the fronts. Quite a bit of volume to make a great mid-low box.

On the front panels there's even a great potential area for a 4"ish sized speaker, though not in a great spot. This area is empty....
Ford F-150 2023 Ford F150 Platinum B&O Unleashed (the leash broke) - System Upgrade - Here We Go Again! 1676919605959

\
Ford F-150 2023 Ford F150 Platinum B&O Unleashed (the leash broke) - System Upgrade - Here We Go Again! 1676919739725

My dynamat application method is tap and beat on things until I like the sound / remove the plastic noise.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sonnie

Sonnie

First Name
Sonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
FFL Dealer
Good information to know guys... much appreciated. I'll be starting the door treatments this week I hope.

1. Sub box with Audio Contol LC2i to tap into B&O.
3. Mobridge and Audison installation.
Curious how that behind-the-seat unit will sound. I was so spoiled with my previous JL Stealthbox that I decided to splurge on one again.

Jon has Kappas in his truck and is extremely happy with them... even fooled a few folks that couldn't believe they were Infinity speakers.

FYI... just received the majority of what I ordered from Jon. Only waiting on a couple of items that he is waiting on that have to be built/assembled, etc. He got it out very quickly and before I was ready for it. Communication has been excellent with Jon... highly recommend him.

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm about to start work on a box for 2 JL 10TW3 that will go behind the driver side rear seat. I keep my seats up 99.9% of the time. I have a PB so my 7.2kW inverter is under the truck and not taking up the driver side under-seat area, where my amp will reside. I've got 10 other things going on so I get to the truck when I can. I didn't want to relocate the jack, but it looks like my LFP battery swap of the aux batt will require it to be moved, but it might fit in the area under the seat where the aux batt currently resides. The 'small' LFP is just too large so I'll probably use an even larger one behind that seat.

You can't go wrong with the JL boxes, they over-build them. I really have no reason to keep the rear seats down, the extra cab storage is just too convenient and rear passengers very rare. If Ford gave us just another 1.5" behind and under the seats things would be sooooo much easier!

Odd fact, inside the rear door panels is a 150mm measurement line just in case you're needing to quickly measure out 150mm. Rather curious to hear the reason they put that on it. Guess it's something to do with a quick guide for something. I haven't found anything in it that's 6" so beats me.

Ford F-150 2023 Ford F150 Platinum B&O Unleashed (the leash broke) - System Upgrade - Here We Go Again! 1676926780071

Last edited:

Spiffy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 platinum powerboost
Occupation
Retired
I finally have come to the end of my search. I started looking for a way to tap into the a2b harness to gain sub frequency for aftermarket sub. That lead to wanting a time based crossover solution. That led to to what the hell, throw it all out.
Tuesday the truck goes in to my local audio shop for a system that has won triple crown awards.
Im starting with PAC audio a2b converter. It does exactly what the zen does but hundreds less. The zen tv does have 12 rca outputs but I only need to slink.
Then into JL Audio VXI 800/8 amp for Front pillars, 3 inch dash, front doors, rear doors. I’m deleting the center, headrests, overhead.
Then from the VXI it outputs via pre out to JL Audio RD 500/1 mono for sub amp. The sub is going to be single 10w3-d4 in a custom box built from a stolen design from sounds good. I would have bought theirs but they said 8 weeks. This weekend I’m doing the sound treatment myself.
The JL Audio VXI series uses tuning software called Tun. My audio shop has the MAX tune device and is one of the only shops certified in several states around. I decided to go this 8/1 route because the guys at MTI said this exact design and electronics has won several awards including a triple crown award.
I started with a 500.00 budget and now pushing 4600.00 not including sound mat.
I’m also starting with the factory speakers. Going to wait until the tune to see what speaker is not performing well. A good accurate tune can make factory speakers sound great. I probably will up grade the dash 3 inch speakers as they cover the most of the vocal curves. The Tun software takes consideration of time alignment, phase, levels, crossover, blending for precise control of everything including the subs, I will also have Two different tunes, One for the drivers side and one for the passenger,
The more I though about it the more I came to realize having all those speakers are going to be a pain if not impossible to build a 3D sound stage. I can add the deleated speakers in later with the addition of another six channel VXI amp with toslink input and a fader controller but that is going to require a lot of time to retune.
The MAX tuning system uses a 5 microphone Array placed at specific locations and builds the perfect curve.
I’ve spent so much more money on this truck. I’ve had possession of it for a month now and not put it into service yet,
2inch lift, 35s, bed liner, cargo cover, custom firmware to add back in all the deleats. tires and wheels today, lift tomorrow.
Last thing is removing all the chrome.

OP
OP
Sonnie

Sonnie

First Name
Sonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
FFL Dealer
I finally have come to the end of my search. I started looking for a way to tap into the a2b harness to gain sub frequency for aftermarket sub. That lead to wanting a time based crossover solution. That led to to what the hell, throw it all out.
Tuesday the truck goes in to my local audio shop for a system that has won triple crown awards.
Im starting with PAC audio a2b converter. It does exactly what the zen does but hundreds less. The zen tv does have 12 rca outputs but I only need to slink.
Then into JL Audio VXI 800/8 amp for Front pillars, 3 inch dash, front doors, rear doors. I’m deleting the center, headrests, overhead.
Then from the VXI it outputs via pre out to JL Audio RD 500/1 mono for sub amp. The sub is going to be single 10w3-d4 in a custom box built from a stolen design from sounds good. I would have bought theirs but they said 8 weeks. This weekend I’m doing the sound treatment myself.
The JL Audio VXI series uses tuning software called Tun. My audio shop has the MAX tune device and is one of the only shops certified in several states around. I decided to go this 8/1 route because the guys at MTI said this exact design and electronics has won several awards including a triple crown award.
I started with a 500.00 budget and now pushing 4600.00 not including sound mat.
I’m also starting with the factory speakers. Going to wait until the tune to see what speaker is not performing well. A good accurate tune can make factory speakers sound great. I probably will up grade the dash 3 inch speakers as they cover the most of the vocal curves. The Tun software takes consideration of time alignment, phase, levels, crossover, blending for precise control of everything including the subs, I will also have Two different tunes, One for the drivers side and one for the passenger,
The more I though about it the more I came to realize having all those speakers are going to be a pain if not impossible to build a 3D sound stage. I can add the deleated speakers in later with the addition of another six channel VXI amp with toslink input and a fader controller but that is going to require a lot of time to retune.
The MAX tuning system uses a 5 microphone Array placed at specific locations and builds the perfect curve.
I’ve spent so much more money on this truck. I’ve had possession of it for a month now and not put it into service yet,
2inch lift, 35s, bed liner, cargo cover, custom firmware to add back in all the deleats. tires and wheels today, lift tomorrow.
Last thing is removing all the chrome.
You sound like me... started out just going to add the rear sub, and finally just threw my hands up and said why not go all the way... and here we are. Gotta get my transmission checked out before I can start on anything ... aggravating.

FirstTimeFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Platinum BAP 4x4 5.3L Iconic Silver
You sound like me... started out just going to add the rear sub, and finally just threw my hands up and said why not go all the way... and here we are. Gotta get my transmission checked out before I can start on anything ... aggravating.
What's up with the transmission? Asking because I have less than 1k on my 23 150 Platinum and 3rd going to 4th I sometime, not all the time, experience a cringe-worthy clunk. Saw the attached recall notice on a different thread. My truck was built in Dearborn November 11th. When I search Ford for recalls using my vin, it shows nothing. I'm thinking I may receive something at some point though as they may not have had a chance to roll out the parts to the dealers and the notices to the customers at this point.

Ford F-150 2023 Ford F150 Platinum B&O Unleashed (the leash broke) - System Upgrade - Here We Go Again! c333c2b9-1927-463b-b558-72e301bd8b59-jpe

OP
OP
Sonnie

Sonnie

First Name
Sonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
FFL Dealer
What's up with the transmission? Asking because I have less than 1k on my 23 150 Platinum and 3rd going to 4th I sometime, not all the time, experience a cringe-worthy clunk. Saw the attached recall notice on a different thread. My truck was built in Dearborn November 11th. When I search Ford for recalls using my vin, it shows nothing. I'm thinking I may receive something at some point though as they may not have had a chance to roll out the parts to the dealers and the notices to the customers at this point.

c333c2b9-1927-463b-b558-72e301bd8b59-jpeg.jpg
Mine is going from 10th to 9th... although not bad, it is noticeable. Sometimes worse than others. Very annoying to say the least. Our local Ford dealer can't even work on it because they don't have the properly trained technician. About to talk to some dealer service departments in other cities.

Sponsored

FirstTimeFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mine is going from 10th to 9th... although not bad, it is noticeable. Sometimes worse than others. Very annoying to say the least. Our local Ford dealer can't even work on it because they don't have the properly trained technician. About to talk to some dealer service departments in other cities.

Big Fun! "May the Schwartz be with you!!" Keep us posted.

Spiffy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 platinum powerboost
Occupation
Retired
Hopefully it turns out it's just a software update.. I know one of the updates addressed the 1 to 3 gear skip. I also had cam phasers rattling in my 2016. Dealer was sure I needed parts but ford released a update that completely removed the rattling.
Do you know if your truck is at current software? My 2022 platinum was not even though my updates screen said I was. After running fdrs was I informed that I was three versions behind. One of the updated I manually updated had stuff for the transmission. Super smooth now. Can't even feel shifts.

FirstTimeFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hopefully it turns out it's just a software update.. I know one of the updates addressed the 1 to 3 gear skip. I also had cam phasers rattling in my 2016. Dealer was sure I needed parts but ford released a update that completely removed the rattling.
Do you know if your truck is at current software? My 2022 platinum was not even though my updates screen said I was. After running fdrs was I informed that I was three versions behind. One of the updated I manually updated had stuff for the transmission. Super smooth now. Can't even feel shifts.

This is very promising, plan to get to the dealer soon and will report back.

Spiffy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 platinum powerboost
Occupation
Retired
Trick is to get the dealer to take the time to hook up the computer. They will try as hard as hell not to get into a manual software install. They rely on over the air software updates. Manualy updating can take hours. They mostly won't get compensation. You can pop over to another thread here on f150gen14 . Ask if someone using your Vin number can look to see if you have updates waiting. I forget what thread but it a request thread just for Vin lookups. It will list what modules are slated for updates. Ford's over the air updating is less than perfict. If you find that one of the updates is for body control or engine management then you can take that info to the dealer and ask them to force the update.

OP
OP
Sonnie

Sonnie

First Name
Sonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
FFL Dealer
Surprisingly, my dealer is allowing me to take the same model from their lot, test drive it over the weekend, and if it does not have any tranny issues, they will swap even with me. Otherwise, it's way about 3-4 weeks before they can get to it, then no idea how long to diagnose and repair it.
Sponsored