First Name
Sonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
FFL Dealer
I know what I said... my wife and a few others have reminded me several times. "This will be my last one." "I'm not doing it again." "The factory system sounds fine... going to leave it in there." "Too lazy to do it any longer." Excuses and procrastination galore! I guess I just can't stand it and want to punish myself one more time (that's what you said last time). At 61 you would seriously think I've grown out of it... nope!

I usually trade about every 18-24 months, but I had to wait a little longer this round because either nothing was available or there were $10K addendums added to the sticker prices. Prices finally got right recently, and I worked out a deal to trade in my 2020 Ram for this 2023 F150 Platinum. It has the B&O Unleashed system, which is literally going to get unleashed from the truck. It's really the best factory system I have heard in a vehicle, but that makes it no fun, right? Even with it being the best factory system I've heard, it's not up to par for the car audio guru... and even though I said it would be fine, I'm still cutting the leash.

Factory display is very nice... like a mini TV, and thankfully it won't play video discs.

Ford F-150 2023 Ford F150 Platinum B&O Unleashed (the leash broke) - System Upgrade - Here We Go Again! 1676328198176-
Ford F-150 2023 Ford F150 Platinum B&O Unleashed (the leash broke) - System Upgrade - Here We Go Again! 1676331432593-

First things first... gotta get it all ordered up. Equipment and acoustical treatments.

Prompts to several who are taking my money.

Most everyone in the car audio world knows miniDSP with Dirac Live by now, and I don't think there is a better way to tune a car audio system than with this processor. You may be the best tuner in the world, but I'll get very close to what you can do, and I'll use the C-DSP 8x12DL. FULLY my OPINION ... you have a right to suggest otherwise. miniDSP C-DSP 8x12 DL Tuning Step by Step Guide

Ford F-150 2023 Ford F150 Platinum B&O Unleashed (the leash broke) - System Upgrade - Here We Go Again! 1676331055558-

Nick over at Resonix is handling most of the sound deadening, decoupling, and absorption materials to help keep the rattles down and perhaps cure some noises.

Then there's a newcomer... Jon from All Things Aquatic in KC. https://www.allthingsaquatickc.com/ ... (met him here on this forum). Jon started out installing systems on boats, and it filtered over into car audio, so he now does both. He can work out some worthy package deals if you need a few items. He's handling the amps, speakers, amp rack, integration, and some of the wiring for me. It would be worth a phone call or email to him if you need something.

The mObridge DA-G2.ENTRY A2B FORD will handle integrating the B&O system to the miniDSP via Toslink (optical). This takes the factory outputs and cleans them up, and also allows adjustment of the mono sinks such as Phone, Navigation, PDC, and Voice recognition to compensate for OEM systems that may need adjustment.

Ford F-150 2023 Ford F150 Platinum B&O Unleashed (the leash broke) - System Upgrade - Here We Go Again! 1676329256455-

Three of the Audison SR amps will provide power to the system. The SR 1.500 will provide 800 watts @ 2 ohms to the JL Audio Stealthbox SB-F-150-SCDBL/12TW3/BK.

Ford F-150 2023 Ford F150 Platinum B&O Unleashed (the leash broke) - System Upgrade - Here We Go Again! 1676329607772-

Ford F-150 2023 Ford F150 Platinum B&O Unleashed (the leash broke) - System Upgrade - Here We Go Again! 1676329720510-

I had the JL Stealthbox with dual 10TW3 subs in my 2020 Ram, and it was absolutely astounding. It has to be one of the cleanest subs that play as low as anything I've ever heard in a vehicle. I hope the dual 12s will be as good or better in the F150. There are some that get louder, but this one hits plenty hard for my liking.

Then we have the SR 4.500 4-channel amp that will provide 220 watts @ 2 ohms to each of the BLAM Signature WS 8.100 8" woofers that will be mounted in the doors. This is my first time installing 8" drivers in the doors, but Jon has me a set of 6x9 to 8" adaptors coming that will do the job. The other two channels will handle the BLAM Signature MS 3.55 midrange dash speakers. They are 3-ohm speakers, so the amp should be rated at 175 watts for each of these. Not that I'll need that much power, but the headroom will be there.

Ford F-150 2023 Ford F150 Platinum B&O Unleashed (the leash broke) - System Upgrade - Here We Go Again! 1676330172619-

The other Audison amp will be the SR 4.300 that is rated at 85 watts @ 4 ohms, and it will handle the BLAM Signature TSM 25 S 45 1" soft dome tweeter and the factory rear doors for the differential rear fill.

Ford F-150 2023 Ford F150 Platinum B&O Unleashed (the leash broke) - System Upgrade - Here We Go Again! 1676330679727-

BLAM was founded by one of the fellows that left Focal several years ago... all made in France. Supposedly on the high-end side... definitely on the expensive side.

Ford F-150 2023 Ford F150 Platinum B&O Unleashed (the leash broke) - System Upgrade - Here We Go Again! 1676330901449-

Ford F-150 2023 Ford F150 Platinum B&O Unleashed (the leash broke) - System Upgrade - Here We Go Again! 1676330922218-

Ford F-150 2023 Ford F150 Platinum B&O Unleashed (the leash broke) - System Upgrade - Here We Go Again! 1676330943582-

All the electronics will be mounted on the amp rack behind the rear seat...
Ford F-150 2023 Ford F150 Platinum B&O Unleashed (the leash broke) - System Upgrade - Here We Go Again! 1676331163411-

That pretty much wraps it up for the installation goods... I think.

I'll take some pics along the way and post them up.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Sonnie

Sonnie

First Name
Sonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
FFL Dealer
I think one thing I will need to figure out is Forscan, which I've never experienced. Hopefully, it won't be too bad of a learning curve for an old man. I may end up having to disable the ANC if it creates issues.

Jbcaindo

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Limited PB
Occupation
Power dude.
`Who got you all dem parts!?

Sponsored

Wallyo

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Super Crew XLT
Seems like a lot of work for a truck that you will only have for 18 -24 months. But I guess you only live once.

Actually I am quite pleased with the standard 7 speaker stock system. We have or had 4 cars with Bose systems and the standard seems on par with those. But many don’t like Bose systems, I do.

I read on this forum from several that think the xlt B&O upgrade is not worth the money so glad I didn’t not spend the extra money.

Good luck with your project.

Oh… Forscan is fairly easy, I am 62, and figured it out to add deleted Xm back. Biggest thing is knowing what to change and what to change it to.

GenXeration

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150, Platinum, 5.0 4x4, Agate Black, BAP
@Sonnie Did you have the Harmon Kardon in your Ram? Just wondering how it compares to B&O Unleashed? That audio upgrade you have planned sounds like it’s going to ROCK! Please share as you make progress on the installation.

OP
OP
Sonnie

Sonnie

First Name
Sonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
FFL Dealer
Seems like a lot of work for a truck that you will only have for 18 -24 months. But I guess you only live once.

Oh… Forscan is fairly easy, I am 62, and figured it out to add deleted Xm back. Biggest thing is knowing what to change and what to change it to.
It is a lot of work, which is why I said I was going to stop. Doing this every couple of years is a bit much and I'm getting to that age where it takes longer to do everything. Then throw in the wife's Lexus that I did too, although at least she will keep one for 6-7 years before she trades. It's fun designing the system and researching the options. This might be the last one.

Got the Forscan app downloaded and activated with the part needed on the way. I watched a video and it doesn't appear to be too complicated. If I can handle the miniDSP, Dirac Live and REW... Forscan should be a breeze.

@Sonnie Did you have the Harmon Kardon in your Ram? Just wondering how it compares to B&O Unleashed? That audio upgrade you have planned sounds like it’s going to ROCK! Please share as you make progress on the installation.
I did have the HK system. The bass was very boomy, as many of us Ram owners discovered. I modified the sub by dampening it inside and out with butyl rubber, and then stuffed it with polyfill and that helped a good bit, but in the end it was not good enough. I did two different systems in it. I did a full blown system, then did a sub only system with replacement of the dash speakers to cure some of the harshness. Treating the doors helped the factory 6x9's tremendously, even though I did replace those with the CDT 6x9's, which was only a slight improvement. The B&O is considerably better (in my opinion) and at least the B&O system bass is not boomy like the HK bass was... and the highs in the B&O are not harsh like the HK system. They could have very well improved on the HK system tuning since I had mine, so I can't compare 2023 models, thus it may not be a fair comparison.

PatchManager

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Firmware Engineer
Not that I want to do the same, but I will be very interested to watch your progress. I also have a Platinum and recently installed the BuiltRight latch. I was surprised how little room there is behind the seat. I didn't really look to see that all was back there, so maybe much of that stuff is for the audio, which you will be removing. Are you sure all of your equipment is going to fit?

Sponsored

FirstTimeFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Platinum BAP 4x4 5.3L Iconic Silver
It is a lot of work, which is why I said I was going to stop. Doing this every couple of years is a bit much and I'm getting to that age where it takes longer to do everything. Then throw in the wife's Lexus that I did too, although at least she will keep one for 6-7 years before she trades. It's fun designing the system and researching the options. This might be the last one.

Got the Forscan app downloaded and activated with the part needed on the way. I watched a video and it doesn't appear to be too complicated. If I can handle the miniDSP, Dirac Live and REW... Forscan should be a breeze.

I did have the HK system. The bass was very boomy, as many of us Ram owners discovered. I modified the sub by dampening it inside and out with butyl rubber, and then stuffed it with polyfill and that helped a good bit, but in the end it was not good enough. I did two different systems in it. I did a full blown system, then did a sub only system with replacement of the dash speakers to cure some of the harshness. Treating the doors helped the factory 6x9's tremendously, even though I did replace those with the CDT 6x9's, which was only a slight improvement. The B&O is considerably better (in my opinion) and at least the B&O system bass is not boomy like the HK bass was... and the highs in the B&O are not harsh like the HK system. They could have very well improved on the HK system tuning since I had mine, so I can't compare 2023 models, thus it may not be a fair comparison.

I can speak for the 2023 Unleashed. Having bought the most loaded Platinum 150 I could build, this being my first Ford and first Truck, I was super excited. Even if I didn't get features I wanted (supply chain BS). Absolutely love my truck!! Super smooth ride, great features and comfort. I'm a truck guy moving forward. As for the B&O Unleashed, it's ok I guess! You get 18 speakers and hear the bass in the back and one center speaker in the front. Center is beyond over powering though! You can't even hear the other speakers. They give you no means to adjust. Fading to the rear is like putting a wet blanket over the entire experience. My only hope, a software update addresses this obvious issue.

I'll be watching this thread for sure. Thanks for your efforts and for sharing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sonnie

Sonnie

First Name
Sonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
FFL Dealer
Not that I want to do the same, but I will be very interested to watch your progress. I also have a Platinum and recently installed the BuiltRight latch. I was surprised how little room there is behind the seat. I didn't really look to see that all was back there, so maybe much of that stuff is for the audio, which you will be removing. Are you sure all of your equipment is going to fit?
I am fairly certain it will fit if I stay within the confines of the amp rack. SGS even makes a sub box to go back there. The space is all down low... and the jack has to be moved.

Just ordered that latch... thanks for reminding me.

I can speak for the 2023 Unleashed. Having bought the most loaded Platinum 150 I could build, this being my first Ford and first Truck, I was super excited. Even if I didn't get features I wanted (supply chain BS). Absolutely love my truck!! Super smooth ride, great features and comfort. I'm a truck guy moving forward. As for the B&O Unleashed, it's extremely disappointing! You get 18 speakers and hear the bass in the back and one center speaker in the front. Center is beyond over powering, it's a disaster! You can't even hear the other speakers. They give you no means to adjust. Fading to the rear is like putting a wet blanket over the entire experience. I'm driving a loaner XLT right now and I would trade stereos in a heartbeat!! It might sound great with the right reference material, but for the other 99.99% of media, it's a major bomb. My only hope, a software update addresses this obvious issue.

As for anyone on the fence about the unleashed system. Know that is sucks, big time!
I agree the center is a bit much, although on my USB music, it is better than XM radio. Bass is up front in mine, which was something I was seriously surprised about, although it's only good at lower volumes and then still not the best. Compared to other factory systems I have heard, it's pretty good, but anyone that has heard a good aftermarket system will probably have the same opinion as you have... not very good. I'm probably a little more forgiving than most.

LuckyTrucky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat Powerboost
I wouldn't say it sucks, I think overall mine sounds pretty good for a factory system. However, I had the exact same observation with the front center speaker though. It is way too loud and overpowering. You mostly hear that and not much from the other speakers. I played around with Surround vs Stereo and Fade/Balance and agree there too, no improvements. Wish they would give you a little more control over the settings.

My truck is at the dealer right now for other stuff but I had them check the speakers. Not sure if they did anything other than play with the settings like I did but they said everything was working normal, which I figured they would say. 🤷‍♂️

Oh well... I still don't think it's as terrible as a lot of people say.

I can speak for the 2023 Unleashed. Having bought the most loaded Platinum 150 I could build, this being my first Ford and first Truck, I was super excited. Even if I didn't get features I wanted (supply chain BS). Absolutely love my truck!! Super smooth ride, great features and comfort. I'm a truck guy moving forward. As for the B&O Unleashed, it's extremely disappointing! You get 18 speakers and hear the bass in the back and one center speaker in the front. Center is beyond over powering, it's a disaster! You can't even hear the other speakers. They give you no means to adjust. Fading to the rear is like putting a wet blanket over the entire experience. I'm driving a loaner XLT right now and I would trade stereos in a heartbeat!! It might sound great with the right reference material, but for the other 99.99% of media, it's a major bomb. My only hope, a software update addresses this obvious issue.

As for anyone on the fence about the unleashed system. Know that is sucks, big time!
🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
Sonnie

Sonnie

First Name
Sonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
FFL Dealer
Personally, I'd be happy with just a gain control on that center channel. To me, that's the source of all my issues with the system. It has tons of potential. The positioning & imaging of the speakers is very good, it's simply overwhelmed by the center level. Perhaps someone has a suggestion? Maybe there's an inline solution that could bring that level down. If it's 4 ohm at the center, maybe an 8ohm speaker swap would help? Software would be ideal from Ford but guessing this is low on their list.
You could try something inexpensive like the Parts Express FaitalPRO speakers in 8 and 16ohm.

https://www.parts-express.com/search?order=relevance:desc&page=3&keywords=faitalpro

Sort from lowest price to highest and you'll see several options.

FirstTimeFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Platinum BAP 4x4 5.3L Iconic Silver
Much appreciated. Do we know the current impedance of the speakers in the center channel? If not, I'd greatly appreciate an update during your upgrade. Looking forward to your build.
Sponsored