Sponsored

2023 Factory Build - Which features would you keep or get rid of?

Highway 11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Supercrew XLT 302A
I heard rumours about an F-150 refresh next year, but my last two Fords have been the first year of a refresh and the kinks definitely were not worked out. I love how the 14th generation looks with the Sport Appearance Package, and after test driving one I'm pulling the trigger on a 2023 Factory Order.

I'm not used to this many options on a vehicle - so I'm hoping to get everybody's feedback on the options I was looking at and see if it's something in your experience, that's a must have, nice to have, or don't need to have.

F150 Supercrew 5'5
XLT 302A
2.7 Ecoboost 4X4
Sport Appearance Package with 20" rims

-----------

Options:

- Tailgate Step
- Interior Work Surface
- 360 Camera Package
- 2 kW Pro-Power
- Partitionable Fold Flat Storage
- Bedliner
- Wheel Well Liners

At this point I'm thinking the tailgate step, 360 camera, and interior work surface are my three top options... I wanted the Pro-Power in case of an outage at home or work away from power, but between the poor real-world numbers I saw in a thread here and the loss of benefits that the Powerboost version has, I'm starting to feel like a standalone generator works much better. The partitionable storage I wanted because I like having storage spots - just not sure it's the best value for that. Bedliner I'm split between factory, or taking it to Line X. With the wheel well liners, I'm split between factory, aftermarket, or concluding it's a waste of money.

Any other options I've overlooked? For reference this is a daily driver that I'd be using to do personal home renovations and home maintenance with. It will go on a dirt road frequently but that's about it.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

JerryLZ

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 502A PB
I heard rumours about an F-150 refresh next year, but my last two Fords have been the first year of a refresh and the kinks definitely were not worked out. I love how the 14th generation looks with the Sport Appearance Package, and after test driving one I'm pulling the trigger on a 2023 Factory Order.

I'm not used to this many options on a vehicle - so I'm hoping to get everybody's feedback on the options I was looking at and see if it's something in your experience, that's a must have, nice to have, or don't need to have.

F150 Supercrew 5'5
XLT 302A
2.7 Ecoboost 4X4

-----------

Options:

- Tailgate Step
- Interior Work Surface
- 360 Camera Package
- 2 kW Pro-Power
- Bedliner
- Wheel Well Liners

At this point I'm thinking the tailgate step, 360 camera, and interior work surface are my three top options... I wanted the Pro-Power in case of an outage at home or work away from power, but between the poor real-world numbers I saw in a thread here and the loss of benefits that the Powerboost version has, I'm starting to feel like a standalone generator works much better. The partitionable storage I wanted because I like having storage spots - just not sure it's the best value for that. Bedliner I'm split between factory, or taking it to Line X. With the wheel well liners, I'm split between factory, aftermarket, or concluding it's a waste of money.

Any other options I've overlooked? For reference this is a daily driver that I'd be using to do personal home renovations and home maintenance with. It will go on a dirt road frequently but that's about it.

Thanks in advance.
What’s the loss of benefits of a powerboost?

By real world numbers you mean the mpg? I’ll let you know when I’m in mine but for example my dad has a maverick 2.0 AWD and his average is 25mpg, when I drove it mine was 32 lol so I’m up to the task

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
i would recommend a amp research bed step (non-OEM) that is a 300 dollar add in the after market. its a easy install. i dont miss the ford oem bed step, i like something that works when the tailgate is up....
That AMP Research bed step is one of the best mods I ever did to my 2009 Tacoma. My ordered 2022 Lariat has that bed utility package with the tailgate step but I also will be adding that AMP step for when the tailgate is up. Well worth every penny.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE

F150 Supercrew 5'5
XLT 302A
2.7 Ecoboost 4X4

-----------

Options:

- Tailgate Step
- Interior Work Surface
- 360 Camera Package
- 2 kW Pro-Power
- Bedliner
- Wheel Well Liners

Thanks in advance.
Honestly, the powerboost has a lot of hidden options on it.

PB 4x4
302a
XLT Sport Appearance
360 cams (adds tow-tech)
interior work surface
B&O
(fold flat storage needs a use case for me to suggest it, I don't use it)
Bed utility

Ford F-150 2023 Factory Build - Which features would you keep or get rid of? 1664524901213

Ford F-150 2023 Factory Build - Which features would you keep or get rid of? 1664524914419

There's a thread here to add copilot assist 2.0 for ~$400 in parts down the line if you want it, you can also later upgrade to 7.2kW inverter if you desire it ($1100 or so). Personally it's an easy $750 for me. The equivalent inverter based generator is about $5k and 140lbs

Don't waste your $$ on the 20s, I can get you brand new sets of these 20" rims with tires brand new take offs for $1k all day long
Ford F-150 2023 Factory Build - Which features would you keep or get rid of? 1664525046552

What you're not seeing is that it's basically got the max tow package with HD frame baked into it (including tow package). Missing marginally larger rear brakes which adds less than 2% additional friction surface.

Last edited:

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
And the 2.7 ecoboost you wanted (also w/ out 20s because again, waste of money)
Ford F-150 2023 Factory Build - Which features would you keep or get rid of? 1664525725740
Ford F-150 2023 Factory Build - Which features would you keep or get rid of? 1664525687370

No contest man, all that extra for $200? Hell yeah. PB as I suggested above (don't forget 360 cams which were included in that price sheet on my first post)

Sponsored

flatag

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
I wouldn’t add wheel well liners to my order and then have to pay interest on them for the life of your loan. Wait and get them free with your Fordpass points. IMO liners are not needed but they really finish off lighter color trucks.

I wouldn’t buy pro-power for the purposes of powering my house. cheaper portable generators do a great job of that and again, youre not paying interest for the life of the loan not to mention wear and tear on your truck. BTW, my portable generator is running right now. Thanks hurricane Ian.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Trailer tow mirrors are one option i would get next time. the standard mirrors aren't bad but I would prefer not having to add something to my mirror to tow safely or regret and attempt to add them later. if your cameras go out, the trailer mirrors will come in handy. i wish i could get power mirrors, but i don't think its available for xlts

truck bed box lighting are a must in my opinion. the bed utility package is a must option as well ( i heard in posts on here you the holes may not be threaded if you dont opt for the package, but someone else would have to confirm that.)
The holes are not threaded because self tapping screws are used. I bought the anchors after because the bed utility package is too expensive and includes crap i didnt want.

Took 25 minutes to install all 4. Please do not spread inaccurate info.

OP
OP
Highway 11

Highway 11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Supercrew XLT 302A
Thanks guys, lots to chew on here. I've driven a PB and loved how it drove, but I couldn't justify the $6k+ upcharge for it (Canada, go figure) when my build is already hitting $65k+ (Again, Canada). The basic Pro-Power seemed like a waste compared to the 7.5 kw or even 2.4 kw unit in the PB. I will touch base with a dealer again to see if the Powerboost in Canada comes with anything else, or if it's just a standalone upgrade.

Going off this order guide: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/att....55198/?hash=b3dfeedc1141e3edb8d7836b5e70c8b9

It seems that box lighting and Box-Link are included on the 302A, but the tailgate step is an extra. No bed utility package to combine them all in. I only wanted the locking storage for the ability to store the stuff I have in the trunk of my Escape (Duffel bag with emergency kit, air compressor, ratchet straps, extra washer fluid, maybe a spare jacket, etc) - just afraid that the F150 doesn't have enough cabin storage without it.

Didn't even think about the well-liners using Fordpass points... not a bad idea.

hedge

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F350
Options are kind of personal. For me the must haves were
  • Lariat - to get the 4A transfer case (also in Canada and I think it will be useful for winter driving)
  • Powerboost with 7.2 for use with the travel trailer
  • Tow mirrors
  • Fx4 package - mostly a useless package but I don't like the 'Sport' sticker on the side

Options I considered
  • sunroof - never used it on other trucks and was concerned about leaking though I never had an issue in the past
  • onboard scales - cheap option but thought it may hold up the build
  • Max tow - Seemed that almost everything was already included when going with PB

Farmerj

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2020 (2023)
And for me it’s just the opposite…

less is more so get rid of all the extra electronic stuff requiring chips.

I don’t want the co-pilot assist, but I still have to get it. Don’t want a fancy interior, and had to drop to an XL to get vinyl flooring.

Sponsored

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired

F150 Supercrew 5'5
XLT 302A
2.7 Ecoboost 4X4

-----------

Options:

- Tailgate Step
- Interior Work Surface
- 360 Camera Package
- 2 kW Pro-Power
- Bedliner
- Wheel Well Liners

Thanks in advance.
Drop the 2.0 Kw "generator". It's not like the PB generator. With the 2.0 Kw, the engine runs the entire time the 2.0 Kw "genny" is on.

Last edited:

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
And for me it’s just the opposite…

less is more so get rid of all the extra electronic stuff requiring chips.

I don’t want the co-pilot assist, but I still have to get it. Don’t want a fancy interior, and had to drop to an XL to get vinyl flooring.
Not much you can do about that -- the truck is full of electronics if you want them or not. Better to take advantage of those features.

People look at where things are -- lots of the electronic features are being upgraded in their utility with subsequent updates. Ford's software is lacking the best talent, just as most companies are. There's more attractive companies for top devs to work at. This is why companies like magna end up supplying most of the ADAS components.

It's the same in the aerospace arena. SpaceX, tesla, and other silicon valley companies suck up a majority of the talent requiring companies like lockheed to have to advertise in a clever way to try and attract talent.

You can't remove features that are part of the core vehicle architecture so it's best to get the most out of them.

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
Honestly, the powerboost has a lot of hidden options on it.

PB 4x4
302a
XLT Sport Appearance
360 cams (adds tow-tech)
interior work surface
B&O
(fold flat storage needs a use case for me to suggest it, I don't use it)
Bed utility

1664524901213.png

1664524914419.png

There's a thread here to add copilot assist 2.0 for ~$400 in parts down the line if you want it, you can also later upgrade to 7.2kW inverter if you desire it ($1100 or so). Personally it's an easy $750 for me. The equivalent inverter based generator is about $5k and 140lbs

Don't waste your $$ on the 20s, I can get you brand new sets of these 20" rims with tires brand new take offs for $1k all day long
1664525046552.png

What you're not seeing is that it's basically got the max tow package with HD frame baked into it (including tow package). Missing marginally larger rear brakes which adds less than 2% additional friction surface.
is this 2022 or 2023 pricing?
Sponsored