2022 Scales/Smart Hitch Option 55S

ARegularJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2 Order: 22 Lariat 500A/3.5 EB/FX4/Max Tow/+
Do any of your folks know exactly what comprised the smart scales option? Are there some sort of sensors added to the body/frame/hitch that measure these points in addition to some SW update to an existing module? I am wondering how hard it would be to retrofit that option to a 501A/3.5 EB/FX4/Max Tow. My Feb 2 order was acknowledged by Ford and my price locked in so I am afraid to even consider now adding that change to the package for fear of having the new MSRPs applied and my order repriced.
Sponsored

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 4WD 301A 3.5L w/ HDPP
Occupation
retired
I ordered it. It seems to me it would be hard (or very expensive) to retrofit. It also seems like it might not be a good idea to add any after-market suspension parts.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
There's sensors on the suspension. There's some pictures floating around of the sensors that show how they attache to the suspension. In one of the build videos it shows a truck being calibrated by a robot arm pressing down on the bed. Doesn't sound like something you can add after the fact.

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Hmm... I ordered it on my build. Debating a level lift but now I'm wondering if that would screw with the sensors for the scales?

Handle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang

Sponsored

gendibal

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered: 2022 F150 Platinum PB
Right. I'm fairly certain that helper springs/bump stops/etc. will not be compatible with smart hitch unless there's a way to recalibrate in the field. And if there are robots involved in initial calibration, that sounds pretty involved...

OP
OP

ARegularJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jees, with all these worries, it may be better just to glue a bubble level to the inside of the box.... or better yet, power and affix an old iphone in the box to provide input to another smart device providing positional information at all times... . I may be on to something!

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Jees, with all these worries, it may be better just to glue a bubble level to the inside of the box.... or better yet, power and affix an old iphone in the box to provide input to another smart device providing positional information at all times... . I may be on to something!
I'm not worried. I have no plans to modify the suspension.

There has to be a way for dealers to calibrate it. What happens if the truck's in a wreck or one of the shock absorbers goes bad? They have to replace parts. I suspect it may involve adding known amounts of weight to the bed. They could do that with water bladders fairly easily. I'm sure there are other methods.

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
I’ve got CCD it works great in Drive Modes and overall ride is as designed. It’s very customized to your truck ...
Thinking about this, can an XLT with onboard scales be retrofitted with CCD?

SuperRaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Lariat 502A
That’s a good question. On the higher trucks you have to combine them, I didn’t realize that you could order just the scales.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ARegularJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Here are photos of the rear sensors on my 2022, they sit ontop the leaf springs
20220416_082935.jpg
Well you’ve obviously changed suspension parts….

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Shocks really shouldn’t impact the scales, I would guess that they use the same sensor as the self leveling headlights. The spring rate of the leaf pack is probably what the system is calibrated off of along with a known weight.

Unless the feature was added in a hurry, there has to be a way to field calibrate it. Robots are used for nearly every process involved in manufacturing these trucks but at the same time, they try to keep in mind that somebody with a wrench and a mallet also needs to be able to do the same thing; however much less efficient it might be.
Sponsored