Sponsored

2022 Powerboost FX4 Max Tow Rear Differential?

jeepin95

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat Powerboost 502A
I'm awaiting delivery of a 2022 Powerboost Max Tow FX4 that will be my first truck moving over from a Jeep Grand Cherokee. It is a dealer stock order that just hasn't been delivered but the window sticker is available. It will be a Powerboost with Max Tow and FX4 and I know it will have the electronic locking rear diff. Being in the Pacific Northwest I'm interested in how this will function in wet conditions where I may be in 4A. I believe that this means the rear diff is effectively open unless I use the lock button to manually lock it up, is this correct? Or is it able to dynamically engage the rear locker in slippery mode to limit wheel spin?

Should I be expecting a lot more wheel spin in the wet or snow compared to my '15 Grand Cherokee Diesel or Subaru Legacy 3.6R?

Thanks
Sponsored

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Did your grand Cherokee have a limited slip in the rear? If it also had an electronic locker or just an open diff, then it would act the same. If it was a limited slip, you’ll experience a bit more wheel spin in the truck than in the grand Cherokee.

However - there is electronic brake force distribution where it grabs the brakes on the spinning wheel to force power over to the other one. It’s passable and does help.

The locker won’t automatically engage and isn’t used in slippery mode - nor would you want it to be. A locker driving around in the snow is a recipe for fun, but probably not the fun you’re looking for when trying to get from point A to B.

Having driven mine in some light and deep snow, I think you’ll find 4A and slippery mode to be very confidence inspiring! If it gets real deep (8+ inches unplowed), you might want to switch it to deep snow/sand which will use the locker and 4Hi, and will turn off traction control.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
You have to hit the button to engage the locker. And it will auto disengage once you hit 15 mph. Maybe 10... not sure on that part

OP
OP
jeepin95

jeepin95

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat Powerboost 502A
Did your grand Cherokee have a limited slip in the rear? If it also had an electronic locker or just an open diff, then it would act the same. If it was a limited slip, you’ll experience a bit more wheel spin in the truck than in the grand Cherokee.

However - there is electronic brake force distribution where it grabs the brakes on the spinning wheel to force power over to the other one. It’s passable and does help.

The locker won’t automatically engage and isn’t used in slippery mode - nor would you want it to be. A locker driving around in the snow is a recipe for fun, but probably not the fun you’re looking for when trying to get from point A to B.

Having driven mine in some light and deep snow, I think you’ll find 4A and slippery mode to be very confidence inspiring! If it gets real deep (8+ inches unplowed), you might want to switch it to deep snow/sand which will use the locker and 4Hi, and will turn off traction control.
Yes the GC has an electronic limited slip rear diff that also engages fully when put in certain drive modes while in low range so it covers both scenarios. In a normal mode if it is wet you can feel a brief moment of wheel spin before it engages all around. In low range it will be locked on fully engaged.

This along with the other speed charts answers my question, thanks.
Sponsored