First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 xlt
Occupation
parts
why is it that i can't even run a portable table saw. They have a work bench on tail gate but a useless outlet. Talked to a salesman at my dealership and he said only hybrid models. Don't think they showed that in commercial. Anything ?
Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I'm assuming you have the 2kW ProPower and not the 400W receptacle. With the 2kW ProPower you should be able to run a table saw, but just barely, and it better have a soft start. The only way you'll run a table saw with just the 400W receptacle is to charge a battery for a cordless one.

‘22Powerboost

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum Powerboost, Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Teacher
Saw requires too much juice. I know they show all kinds of stuff plugged into the bed with the hybrids(7.2 kilowatt pro power on board, or the smaller version of the pro power on board)in the commercials for sure. The non hybrids have an outlet, but something like a power table saw will be pushing it imo without the generator of the hybrids.

Last edited:
OP
OP

puffy

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 xlt
Occupation
parts
thank you to both, I will check if i have he 2kw. What a waste of money To have that and not be able to use it . Like my truck but this puts a bad taste in my mouth about Ford

Jeff1024

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
thank you to both, I will check if i have he 2kw. What a waste of money To have that and not be able to use it . Like my truck but this puts a bad taste in my mouth about Ford

You have a bad taste in your mouth because you didn't bother to understand what you were buying?

Ok. Sure.

Sponsored

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
So, you don't know what you bought?

2kw ProPower would be barely enough to run a 15 amp tablesaw. That's like 1800w, and then you have inrush current for a large motor like that, which could be another couple of amps. That might trip any protection the ProPower has.

I guess notice to anyone else: know what load you want to use, and buy the appropriate ProPower level.

OP
OP

puffy

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 xlt
Occupation
parts
well to all , I looked at the cover and it does say ac120v / 400w max . It does look like a lot of people were unaware about this. I have talked to few people around Fords and they were unaware too. Maybe some Sales People are unaware too. Maybe I will sell and get more than I paid-kidding- I like the truck other wise. Thank for all input, I am not bashing Ford , I like it and this is my fourth one

12Lariat21

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502A
Occupation
Engineering Manager
well to all , I looked at the cover and it does say ac120v / 400w max . It does look like a lot of people were unaware about this. I have talked to few people around Fords and they were unaware too. Maybe some Sales People are unaware too. Maybe I will sell and get more than I paid-kidding- I like the truck other wise. Thank for all input, I am not bashing Ford , I like it and this is my fourth one
Ah, so only the 400W version...So did the sales man sell you on that was an outlet capable of running more than a phone charger? Not sure if there is anything you could do if was just verbal communication....but if you were sold on that it was the 2kW ProPower, you should at the very least file a complaint.

That is my biggest problem with all dealers/sales people. Like this is your JOB, how do you not know what you are selling...I've never had sales person able to answer my questions on a new vehicle, shoot most of them don't even know what options you can and can't get on specific trim models.

OP
OP

puffy

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 xlt
Occupation
parts
it was just verbal and sales person no longer works there. Does anyone know if i can add the 2kW ProPower ?

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
it was just verbal and sales person no longer works there. Does anyone know if i can add the 2kW ProPower ?
I'm sure it is technically possible, but it's not going to be cost effective. You'd be better off getting an aftermarket inverter installed and using that. If you want it integrated, it's going to be easier to just order a new vehicle.

With regards to sales people, they're more or less just glorified paper pushers anymore. When I was searching, no one knew more about the vehicles I was looking at, and barely any knew basic features/options.

Sponsored

12Lariat21

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502A
Occupation
Engineering Manager
If you do search out a new truck with the ProPower, I would recommend as part of your 'Test Drive' to bring your table saw (or whatever you want to be able to power) along and verify that it has the power to operate it before you buy it. If you want/need real power from the truck, you'd want to step up to the Hybrid and likely up to the 7.2kW version.

I have the 2kW version and it won't do 2kW. Maybe 1800W, and voltage suffers. The overload is really sensitive, so if you have too high of an inrush current from motor starting, it will just shutoff on you. So just be extra cautious that you are getting exactly what you want there....

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Yes, all of the ProPower options, even the 400W, should be labeled as peak for their power rating. You can't go over whatever it's listed at providing, even for a brief period. Continuous power rating on everything should probably be ~75% of the listed rating.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
That outlet is only if you want to put your phone in the bed to charge, instead of the cup holder or console while you drive. In general if something spins or makes heat it is not going to work.

It's a cruel joke Ford plays on buyers, although I do remember using the one inside the truck (I think 2021+ 400W in bed is just another outlet for that circuit) to run a small elec chainsaw in my 2020 once.

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
@puffy

These gentlemen are right. I’ve had a portable Dewalt compound mitre saw for a decade and it sometimes trips the circuit breakers of my home’s outside outlets, if I don’t do the ‘soft start’.

I bought a Powerboost last year with the 7.2kw inverter and have used I that saw many times without any issue whatsoever.

It’s quite possible that you have the smaller inverter and a power-hungry saw. Sorry dude.

Harry Dangler

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Lexus RX350
Occupation
Retired
why is it that i can't even run a portable table saw. They have a work bench on tail gate but a useless outlet. Talked to a salesman at my dealership and he said only hybrid models. Don't think they showed that in commercial. Anything ?
maybe you can clarify this but It sounds to me like you didn't buy a powerboost
Sponsored