Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Future Cars: 2022 Ford F-150 Raptor R Gets a Supercharged V-8 Power Boost
Watch your back, Ram TRX.

Ford F-150 2022 Ford F-150 Raptor R Gets a Supercharged V-8 Power Boost 2022-Ford-F-150-Raptor-R-2

frankmarkus Author
Jul 12, 2021

WHAT IT IS: Ford's answer to the supercharged Ram 1500 TRX. It arrives a year-plus late, which suggests the Hellcat-powered Ram caught the Ford F-150 Raptor developers off guard. Fear not, as Ford has its own blown V-8 that serves up 760 hp and 625 lb-ft of torque in the Mustang Shelby GT500. As with the Hellcat, some high-rev horsepower will be sacrificed to bolster lower-end torque for truck duty, so the Raptor R will likely cede specs superiority to the 702-hp, 650-lb-ft TRX. But the Ram's iron-block 6.2-liter one-cam, two-valve V-8 faces extinction due to increasing compliance costs, so Ford's more advanced aluminum 5.2-liter four-cam, four-valve Predator engine will likely outlive the Hellcat.

Ford F-150 2022 Ford F-150 Raptor R Gets a Supercharged V-8 Power Boost 2022-Ford-F-150-Raptor-R-12
Ford F-150 2022 Ford F-150 Raptor R Gets a Supercharged V-8 Power Boost 2022-Ford-F-150-Raptor-R-12

WHY IT MATTERS: The V-10-powered Ram SRT-10 may have been king of the street-racing-pickup hill from 2004 to '06, but Ford invented the factory desert-race-ready pickup class in 2010 with its Baja 1000-inspired F-150 Raptor. A decade later, the 2021 MotorTrend Truck of the Year-winning TRX mounted the first serious challenge to Raptor's desert-running superiority. Ford's third-gen Raptor responded with a new optional 37-inch tire package (which requires its own unique frame) plus superior ground clearance and better approach, breakover, and departure angles. But the Raptor's 3.5-liter twin-turbo EcoBoost V-6 falls well short of Hellcat output, at a carryover 450 hp and 510 lb-ft. The supercharged V-8 in the Raptor R aims to even the score, at least in terms of acceleration performance.

PLATFORM AND POWERTRAIN: The F-150 Raptor's two new frames both feature a Ram-inspired coil-sprung rear suspension for improved wheel articulation and are expected to carry over to the R with minor modifications to mount the V-8. The GT500 engine will be comprehensively retuned to suit the Raptor R's dramatically different mass and duty cycle. Rumors suggest Ford's development trucks experienced durability problems whenever the V-8's wick was turned up beyond 650 hp. As a result, peak output figures are likely to trail the TRX's, but the Raptor's lighter weight and additional transmission ratios should even the drag-racing odds until the TRX's V-8 bites the dust.

Ford F-150 2022 Ford F-150 Raptor R Gets a Supercharged V-8 Power Boost 2022-Ford-F-150-Raptor-R-15
Ford F-150 2022 Ford F-150 Raptor R Gets a Supercharged V-8 Power Boost 2022-Ford-F-150-Raptor-R-15

ESTIMATED PRICE: The TRX carries a base price of $72,110, and if the Raptor R can't claim complete specs superiority over it, we expect a price that undercuts it slightly, probably near $70,000.

EXPECTED ON-SALE DATE: Early 2022

https://www.motortrend.com/features/2022-ford-f-150-raptor-r-performance-pickup-future-cars/
Sponsored

futuretrunks

First Name
Jewelrean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
honda accord ‘18 ford bronco ‘21
Occupation
manager
Hmmmmm

eriku19tex

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Raptor
Occupation
IT
Might have to let the dealer sell the 2021 I have ordered and wait for the 2022 R

6-9 Months for 250+ horsepower is well worth the wait

i suspect a 6-8k premium over the v6

Sponsored

Coolrain

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Raptor
Might have to let the dealer sell the 2021 I have ordered and wait for the 2022 R

6-9 Months for 250+ horsepower is well worth the wait

i suspect a 6-8k premium over the v6
Thought about this however I'm at sticker on my order and I suspect it will be hard to find one of these below $95 - $100k with the options I selected

Coolrain

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Raptor
If you're paying over sticker for any vehicle, you need to find yourself a new dealer.
This is true It took me about 5 phone calls however I finally found a dealer that would order the Raptor at sticker… might be too late now for 21 but for a 22R you should start already

Antimatter Tremor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is true It took me about 5 phone calls however I finally found a dealer that would order the Raptor at sticker… might be too late now for 21 but for a 22R you should start already
All one has to do is shop around. ?? I was going to do a fly to Missouri and drive back to Michigan, but I met my buddy (who owns dealer with his brother) thru a mutual friend. Never even met him before in my life, just chatting thru text and email about a '14 Raptor. He gave me -$4,500 off sticker. He not only gained a customer for life, but a friend as well. I drive almost 90 miles one way to his dealership. Theres easily 90 dealerships closer to me than he is, but no one wanted to deal with me back in '14, they all wanted to price gouge. So I will never spend another penny anywhere else on a vehicle ever again. And I have sent him new customers also.

I can order a '21 or '22 for below sticker. GT500, or whatever other specialty vehicle I wanted.

Sponsored

Antimatter Tremor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Demand and supply, you gotta pay to play, specially for convenience
If you don't want to shop around and save, just so you can keep up with the Joneses. You go ahead and knock yourself out and keep getting screwed over. ??

Hemmy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Raptor
All one has to do is shop around. ?? I was going to do a fly to Missouri and drive back to Michigan, but I met my buddy (who owns dealer with his brother) thru a mutual friend. Never even met him before in my life, just chatting thru text and email about a '14 Raptor. He gave me -$4,500 off sticker. He not only gained a customer for life, but a friend as well. I drive almost 90 miles one way to his dealership. Theres easily 90 dealerships closer to me than he is, but no one wanted to deal with me back in '14, they all wanted to price gouge. So I will never spend another penny anywhere else on a vehicle ever again. And I have sent him new customers also.

I can order a '21 or '22 for below sticker. GT500, or whatever other specialty vehicle I wanted.
Are the people you are sending over to your friend getting below sticker? I am on the Indiana Michigan border.

Hemmy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Raptor
What are you looking to order?
I signed my sales order for a Raptor on 7/9. At the time I was also looking for a Tremor. Everything from the dealer I went through in Michigan was MSRP. Never hurts to have a connection and try to save a little more if possible.

Antimatter Tremor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Stick with yo
I signed my sales order for a Raptor on 7/9. At the time I was also looking for a Tremor. Everything from the dealer I went through in Michigan was MSRP. Never hurts to have a connection and try to save a little more if possible.
Stick with what you have on order. On Raptor he wouldn't do less than MSRP for you.
Sponsored