• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Any idea what the upgraded battery back is going to cost? $10K maybe.
$70K OTD for the extended range Lariat seems pretty freaking good to me this is probably what I'll get.
Based on how Ford prices their options, I would guess that the battery pack upgrade is priced very competitively and almost a no-brainer to get the better battery, it's likely that the cell count is similar between the two but that the extended range is using better quality individual lithium ion cells which can store more energy and discharge more energy quicker without damage. That's probably why the standard range truck has lower HP but identical torque as the extended range truck.

I bet that they are only offering the more inexpensive option to meet their MSRP goals. However, with incentives, they might be making less money on the extended range battery pack. Kind of like how you should never order the chicken at a fancy steak restaurant!
Sponsored

kwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Cherokee, 2021 F-150 Platinum
Occupation
Corporate Finance
Hey, nah, I have been leasing the last few F-150s because the prices have just been so good I can't pass it up. I do 2 year leases since the residual on the F-150 makes it possible, and I get A Plan which brings down the front end price so much it's just a no-brainer.

The F-150 Lightning, while a 2022 model year, I am hedging the bet that I won't see it until my 2021 is due to go back, or near enough. I know when Ford said they are delivering them, but I also know when the Bronco was supposed to be in driveways so... :)

Worst case situation, I need to talk to the dealer about buying my '21 early. I have done that in the past to get out of leases as I generally have positive equity, or close enough to break even. In the worst of worst cases where I am upside down on an early turn in, I am sure the dealer can sell it to someone else, but that hasn't had to happen yet.

If I am honest though, my appetite for eating the cost of early upgrades isn't high. I would spend maybe $1-2k, but it would have to be something I reaaalllyy wanted and was just a great deal. I almost just kept my 2019 and bought it at the end of the lease, I absolutely loved that truck. But my want for the PowerBoost and Wireless CarPlay and some other goodies won me over.
Ah, makes sense. Definitely agree on the timing of the Lightning -- I'd be shocked if it arrived in Spring 2022.

Squatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Reef flip flops
I really wanted to get an equivalent to a loaded XLT Sport, but that Bluecruise is tempting...

Then again, with a range of only 300 miles, I can pay attention that long and drive myself.

Maybe a poll about which trim Lightning we're all getting once a Build and Price or more options come out?

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
So we are looking at roughly $65k for an Extended Range XLT or $69K for an Extended Range Lariat with everything Standard. If only the Lariat had the regular 12" screen.
Agree, but not changing my current order for this anyway. I can see getting an EV F150 in 10-15 years when I retire the lariat I have on order now. By then they should certainly have the range up to what I would want and I’ll either be used to having a giant screen taking up the entire center console or they will have figured out how to better integrate it.

Lariat with the 12” screen and 600 mile real world range, then I would be trying to cancel my order for one of these. Excited to get one down the road.

Last edited:
First Name
Farris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Convertible 2016
This IS my reservation:
I want the $7500 tax credit and I want the basest base possible.
Can I get one for $32,474? (plus delivery)

Sponsored

Eric Fisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning's Trim Levels Explained
The new electric pickup is available in XLT, Lariat, and Platinum models, and a base model is coming, too. This is the equipment each one gets.

• The 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning will go on sale in the spring of next year.
  • It'll be available as base, XLT, Lariat, and Platinum models, and this is the equipment that they get.
  • Pricing will start at around $42,000 for the base model and $55,000 for the XLT; Ford has only announced MSRPs of $39,974 and $52,974 and has yet to confirm the amount of the mandatory destination charge.
The F-150 Lightning is the electric version of the F-150 pickup truck, and it'll go on sale in the spring of next year. When it does, it'll be available as base, XLT (pictured in red), Lariat (blue), and Platinum (silver) models similar to its gas-powered counterpart. It's only available as a four-door SuperCrew model with a 5.5-foot box, though, and there are two battery packs available. There's a Standard Range pack, which is targeting 230 miles of EPA-estimated range, and an Extended Range battery with 300 miles of estimated range. We won't know about the base work-truck model until next week, but this is what you'll be able to get on the three other models:

XLT ($55,000 est.)
The XLT model will serve as the base model for the average retail buyer. It comes standard with the Standard Range battery, but the larger pack is optional. The XLT does not get the light bar connecting the taillights that's on the Lariat and Platinum models, but a power tailgate and LED lighting in the bed are both optional. XLT models ride on standard 18-inch aluminum wheels with black accents, and 20-inch dark grey wheels are optional. The F-150's new 12.0-inch touchscreen powered by Ford's Sync 4 infotainment system is the only choice. Cloth seats are standard, and heated seats are optional. The XLT gets the 2.4-kW ProPower Onboard system as standard, and the additional 9.6-kW version is an option. The Tow Technology package, which includes a trailer backup assist, and the Max Trailer Tow package are available on the XLT. Ford's BlueCruise hands-free driving technology is not available on the XLT, but Ford's Co-Pilot360 Assist 2.0 package with adaptive cruise control, lane centering, and built-in navigation is.

Lariat ($59,000 est.)
Like the XLT, the Lariat comes standard with the Standard Range Battery, and the Extended Range pack is optional. Lariat models have gray 20-inch wheels. All Lightning models come standard with fixed running boards, but the Lariat and Platinum have available retractable running boards and a power tailgate. The Lariat comes standard with heated and cooled leather seats and the 15.5-inch vertically oriented touchscreen that uses Ford's Sync 4A infotainment system. An eight-speaker Bang & Olufsen sound system is standard, and a function that allows you to use a phone as a key is available, too. The Lariat models come standard with the 9.6-kW ProPower Onboard. Ford Co-Pilot360 Assist 2.0 is standard, and BlueCruise and active park assist are available on the Lariat. Both tow packages are available.

Platinum ($70,000 est.)
Platinum models are fully loaded and are only available with the Extended Range battery pack and 9.6-kW ProPower OnBoard. They ride on 22-inch wheels with black accents. They're equipped with Nirvana leather heated and ventilated seats with black stripes, the larger (15.5-inch) touchscreen, and an 18-speaker Bang & Olufsen sound system. Ford's maximum recline front seats are available only on the Platinum. Both towing packages are standard on the Platinum models, as is BlueCruise.
I thought that the base model was under $40k

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
I thought that the base model was under $40k
The third bullet point in your quote covers that:
" Pricing will start at around $42,000 for the base model and $55,000 for the XLT; Ford has only announced MSRPs of $39,974 and $52,974 and has yet to confirm the amount of the mandatory destination charge. "

audiomikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 RAM 1500, MB W221, C5 Camaro, Prius V, 300C
Occupation
Manufacturing Engineer
Tesla Model 3 for $35k or F150 Lightning for $40k?..... Ha ha, silly rabbit, real world pricing is much higher. I don't project anyone paying under $55k for a Lightning in 2022. Hoping for a upside surprise.

Horse-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD
The third bullet point in your quote covers that:
" Pricing will start at around $42,000 for the base model and $55,000 for the XLT; Ford has only announced MSRPs of $39,974 and $52,974 and has yet to confirm the amount of the mandatory destination charge. "
Given the specs on the XLT I’m not optimistic on what else could possibly be missing on the base model for $15K less. The XLT is already spec’d lower than the Select Mach E is, and seems like that’s the lowest reasonable level for a consumer to start at.

Squatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Reef flip flops
It's going to be a big bucket of ice water when retail customers realize that Ford is only selling the base version to commercial/fleet customers.

Sponsored

Sergeant Gearhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Me personally, I think the XLT has the best value. I am actually quite surprised that Ford didn't try to trade out the column shifter for a rotary dial like in the Mach-E.

TXLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
It's going to be a big bucket of ice water when retail customers realize that Ford is only selling the base version to commercial/fleet customers.
Ford has confirmed the base mode will be sold to everyone.

Last edited:

Squatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Reef flip flops
Ford has confirmed the base mode will be sold to everyone.

I believe that is the same source that said the 2021 Bronco with Sasquatch Package would be available with a manual transmission, so...

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Just curious, I notice you went from a 2019 to a 2021 and are now talking about going from a 2021 to a 2022. Do you just eat the cost of the upgrade or are you just really good at negotiating prices?? I ask because I'm considering doing something similar so definitely not judging.
It is an unusual situation, given the shortage of used vehicles - trade values are crazy and likely to stay that way. I just received $60k for my 2017 F350 on trade toward my 2021 KR PowerBoost. The 2017 had 36k miles, just out of warranty, cost $80k new, and I paid $72k, so cost me $12k to drive for four years and 36k miles. There was essentially no 'drive-off' value loss on that diesel Superduty King Ranch. I expect my Powerboost KR will be the same or better, so expect to hold for a year and sell close to original price (list price $80.5k,, I paid $75, expect it will be worth $70k a year from now with 20k miles).

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Tesla Model 3 for $35k or F150 Lightning for $40k?..... Ha ha, silly rabbit, real world pricing is much higher. I don't project anyone paying under $55k for a Lightning in 2022. Hoping for a upside surprise.
The ~$35k version of the Model 3 was available for ~20 months, BUT yeah, took a year and a half after production for them to be available. Hopefully not the case for the $40k Lightning, but I wouldn't be surprised. It makes sense from a profit standpoint when you're production limited.
Sponsored