• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Wantastic

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Ford Fusion Energi; 1989 Chevy Cheyenne 2500
Occupation
Architect
I’ll wait for the lightning, but I needed to pick up an interim ride. I’m probably about 55,000 on the list. Couldn’t get my dang login to work the night of the release. Based on the production numbers I’m seeing, I’m probably at least 2-years out. I’ll be ready.
Sponsored

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
https://media.ford.com/content/ford...ens-commitment-to-american-manufacturing.html

This release from Ford states production expected to begin mid-2022 for F150EV. That date was projected 09/2020 and did not consider delays due to current supply chain disruptions.

If Ford meets the target of mid-2022, initial production will be slow working out glitches in manufacturing process, employees learning new jobs, resolving any quality issues with parts, etc.

If Ford builds vehicles strictly according to time stamps (unlikely due to part availability), those first F150EVs won’t be on dealer lots until almost a year from now.

My point is, regardless of your place in line, your build spec, etc., everyone is in for a long wait.
FU – that's an odd couple of points.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
I’ll wait for the lightning, but I needed to pick up an interim ride. I’m probably about 55,000 on the list. Couldn’t get my dang login to work the night of the release. Based on the production numbers I’m seeing, I’m probably at least 2-years out. I’ll be ready.
55,000 should be delivered during 2023.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
55,000 should be delivered during 2023.
That would also assume all reservations=customer accepted orders

We'll see but people have opined it would be ~60% take rate. I think if you were "in" before the 120k announcement you've got a decent shot at delivery in 2023.

Sponsored

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
Even though I ordered two, one for my father and one for me in the first ten minutes, I am not at all excited about this. All due to having a Bronco soft top built in August and just sitting there for over a month with no movement, and no explanation. The Bronco hype for new ford vehicles is tiring when you keep waiting and waiting, no matter how early your reservation was. I’m afraid it will be exactly the same with the Lightning.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Even though I ordered two, one for my father and one for me in the first ten minutes, I am not at all excited about this. All due to having a Bronco soft top built in August and just sitting there for over a month with no movement, and no explanation. The Bronco hype for new ford vehicles is tiring when you keep waiting and waiting, no matter how early your reservation was. I’m afraid it will be exactly the same with the Lightning.
You have not yet ordered. You simply have a reservation to place an order.

Also right now there are a lot of production issues with ALL vehicles. However there are a few issues specific to the Bronco that will not be present with the lightning. There was much higher demand for sasquatch package, manual transmission, and also the hard top than Ford had anticipated. The production issues with the hard top slowed things down.
As far as your specific vehicle sitting for a month with no updates. I hear of this happening with mach-e and normal f150 as well. I think it's because they are building and storing the vehicle while waiting for the computer modules to ship once they have a batch of chips.

If, and it's a big if, the chip shortage is mostly resolved by the end of the spring then I think the rollout of the lightning should go much smoother. There's nothing on the truck that they haven't put onto another vehicle in some form or fashion. The frunk is just a power liftgate. The entire cab, bed and interior is from the standard truck. The electric drivetrain, although possibly designed a little bit different, they have been building the mach-e so they have experience from that on the design and manufacturing. Even the independent rear suspension, although a first for the f150, somewhat already exists on the platform with the expedition.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms

Also right now there are a lot of production issues with ALL vehicles. However there are a few issues specific to the Bronco that will not be present with the lightning. There was much higher demand for sasquatch package, manual transmission, and also the hard top than Ford had anticipated. The production issues with the hard top slowed things down.
As far as your specific vehicle sitting for a month with no updates. I hear of this happening with mach-e and normal f150 as well. I think it's because they are building and storing the vehicle while waiting for the computer modules to ship once they have a batch of chips.

If, and it's a big if, the chip shortage is mostly resolved by the end of the spring then I think the rollout of the lightning should go much smoother. There's nothing on the truck that they haven't put onto another vehicle in some form or fashion. The frunk is just a power liftgate. The entire cab, bed and interior is from the standard truck. The electric drivetrain, although possibly designed a little bit different, they have been building the mach-e so they have experience from that on the design and manufacturing. Even the independent rear suspension, although a first for the f150, somewhat already exists on the platform with the expedition.
yep, Ford is f'ing with its customers … all manufacturing is suffering from supply side logistics in the chip industry (a typical vehicle has dozens of "modules" and each has at least one chip.) I think all the carmakers could do a better job of communicating with the customer. Apple has more customers and can communicate with me on a minute by minute basis about a warranty replacement of an Apple TV remote … I think carmakers can at least indicator which month they expect to build a $50K car … : )

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I think the experience of the Bronco launch will not be repeated with any new Ford. I'm optimistic they've learned their lesson. The real challenge for the Lightning will be setting customer expectations and forcing (forcing…) the dealers to properly support and understand the Lightning and all subsequent EVs. Even if there's zero improvement in the charging network, if the Lightning is 100% quality and 100% delivery experience, it's going to be a game-changer in the pickup market and the EV market.
Looking at the 2022 Chev pickup I'm astonished they didn't at least have a hybrid … I think if they had a plug-in hybrid I would have said they understand the market. That they're futzing with a slightly less unsatisfactory gas and diesel engine line-up is incomprehensible … Ford raised the bar to on-board generator and hybrid … GM counters with … a 2010 vehicle with a nice cabin …

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Digital Investigator

I meant to say reserve. I hope you are right!

Sponsored

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Digital Investigator
yep, Ford is f'ing with its customers … all manufacturing is suffering from supply side logistics in the chip industry (a typical vehicle has dozens of "modules" and each has at least one chip.) I think all the carmakers could do a better job of communicating with the customer. Apple has more customers and can communicate with me on a minute by minute basis about a warranty replacement of an Apple TV remote … I think carmakers can at least indicator which month they expect to build a $50K car … : )
Exactly! That is my biggest complaint. Communication.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
That would also assume all reservations=customer accepted orders

We'll see but people have opined it would be ~60% take rate. I think if you were "in" before the 120k announcement you've got a decent shot at delivery in 2023.
No, actually, I'm basing that on leaked Ford numbers stating 15,000 trucks produced in 2022 and 40,000 more in 2023. That makes 55,000 trucks produced. Certainly anyone within the first 55,000 reservations should be within the first 55,000 trucks produced unless those estimates don't include fleet purchases.

Anyway, we have heard since then that Ford is looking to double the 2023 production to 80,000.

corradoborg

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Tacoma S-Runner; F-150 Lightning order
Occupation
Corporate Physical Security Manager
No, actually, I'm basing that on leaked Ford numbers stating 15,000 trucks produced in 2022 and 40,000 more in 2023. That makes 55,000 trucks produced. Certainly anyone within the first 55,000 reservations should be within the first 55,000 trucks produced unless those estimates don't include fleet purchases.

Anyway, we have heard since then that Ford is looking to double the 2023 production to 80,000.
The 15k number was never from Ford. It was unsourced, and there has never been an official 2022 number. Since they are attempting to ramp up to 80k/year as soon as possible, we can safely assume that there will be a lot more than 15k in 2022. Ford just doesn't want to make any specific number-based promises yet.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
The 15k number was never from Ford. It was unsourced, and there has never been an official 2022 number. Since they are attempting to ramp up to 80k/year as soon as possible, we can safely assume that there will be a lot more than 15k in 2022. Ford just doesn't want to make any specific number-based promises yet.
The way Darren sounded in the podcast, sounds like it is way off. I can't imagine them offering lower than 15k, so i feel it'll be significantly higher.
Sponsored