2022 F150 powerboost Limited vs 2019 Ram 2500 6.7L Longhorn

austindrvr

First Name
Wood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Limited Powerboost 4x4
Recently traded in my 2019 Ram 2500 6.7L Longhorn on a 22 Limited Powerboost. I frequently tow an 8000lb boat (including trailer and gear), during the warm months here in Texas), everything else is mostly city highway and stop and go. Here’s my .02 on what I’ve noticed 3 months into ownership. Included a pic too, this was taken when I was getting the XPEL installed.

I average 30k miles a year and the benefits the 6.7L offered towing were offset by the frequent need for die$el. Long story short, the Powerboost seemed like I could prioritize efficiency but not give up much on usable towing and capability (for my unique situation).

Driving - F150 wins based on how quiet and smooth it is. I’ve got nearly 6k on the odometer and I still marvel at how quiet this truck is. Significantly smoother ride compared to the Ram too, but I don’t know how much credit to attribute to the CCDs. Prior to the Ram I came from a Chevrolet diesel and the Ram was light years ahead on ride (at least compared to my 2015). I do miss that diesel clatter though, always knew you were piloting something special.

Also, wow the Powerboost is fast in a straight line. Faster quarter mile trap speeds than my beloved 1995 Camaro z28, amazing how things evolve. Fun.

Interior/design - Ford wins on the tech features (Bluecruise is amazing), but the interior is not as nice as my 2500. Leather quality was better, and the finish out/ details were more thoughtful for the Ram. They went 100%, and Ford went 85%. Ford isn’t bad though, it’s just credit to Ram for how good they are.

Towing - zero issues with the F150 getting up to speed and maintaining it. Hills, no issue. Passing, no issue. Stability on the road, no issue, but the boat does push the truck around a bit more than the 2500. To be expected though. I’ve not had to adjust any of my acceleration/cruising habits post diesel, just put it in tow/haul and forget about it. The F150 revs a lot more and is clearly working hard, but it’s not excessive and less than I expected.

Stopping is a different story though. Night and day. The 2500, with its massive brakes (each rotor probably weighs about 45lbs (I know because I did my own brake service), and the exhaust brake worked sooooo well. In fact, I never sweated stopping with the 2500, just ease into the brakes for a drama-free consistent stop. Fool proof modulation, always felt like I had brakes to spare if needed.

For the f150, it feels like to the stars need to align for me to get a smooth stop. If left in tow/haul, you get some engine braking, but it’s more noise than engine braking. The brakes will stop the rig, but damn you gotta stand on them, regardless of drive mode.

Feels like you are constantly chasing the regen braking and then when the hydraulic brakes finally kick in, you are too deep in the pedal and it starts slowing down too abruptly. I do feel like it’s going to stop and the brakes have adequate power, but it’s challenging to craft a smooth, consistent stop from highway speeds to a red light. I see my passengers heads bobbing back and forth as I fight the truck’s transition from regen to brakes, and then compounded by the trailer’s surge brakes.

Anyone else notice this regarding their brakes? Any tricks to resolve or minimize it? Overall, I am very happy with my decision, think the Powerboost checks all the boxes with minimal compromise. It is hard to believe I will likely never have another diesel ever again though, end of an era…

Ford F-150 2022 F150 powerboost Limited vs 2019 Ram 2500 6.7L Longhorn D40F3AE8-356D-4D4F-944E-E24ECE2334B5
Sponsored

Last edited:

GenXeration

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150, Platinum, 5.0 4x4, Agate Black, BAP
I understand what you mean on the interior. I sold my 21 Ram 1500 Limited and ordered a 23 f-150 Platinum. I feel like I slightly downgraded from an interior perspective. I lost HUD, digital rear view mirror, park assist and heated steering wheel. I did gain BlueCruise though. I haven’t received my Ford yet and I hope I change my mind, but I do feel like the interior isn’t quite up to the standards of the Ram.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I don't think there's anything you can do relatively inexpensive to get that F150 to brake like that heavier duty truck.

On my previous 2018 Ecoboost I went all out to get improved braking for towing the RV, but I don't think this 2022 Powerboost with all the CCD and other features will take kindly to the Brembos?

Ford F-150 2022 F150 powerboost Limited vs 2019 Ram 2500 6.7L Longhorn BIGbrake

Ford F-150 2022 F150 powerboost Limited vs 2019 Ram 2500 6.7L Longhorn 20180623_135341

rpold150

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Platinum
I don't think there's anything you can do relatively inexpensive to get that F150 to brake like that heavier duty truck.

On my previous 2018 Ecoboost I went all out to get improved braking for towing the RV, but I don't think this 2022 Powerboost with all the CCD and other features will take kindly to the Brembos?

BIGbrake.jpg

20180623_135341.jpg
That caliper is huuuuge!

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes. They are massive. Required some custom 18mm concentric spacers to keep the OEM +44 wheels from touching.

You only need them on the front. :)

And they could nose-down/tail-up the empty truck on dry pavement.

Really confidence inspiring with an RV coming down a Colorado grade.

Sponsored

air2mag

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum
You could do the electric over hydraulic brakes on you boat trailer but , it’s not cheap. I only tow my boat twice a year and it’s only 4k so not worth the expense to me. As big as your boat is I would definitely go this route.

Last edited:

Joe_Lee

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB FX4
I enjoyed reading your perspective. I sold a 2022 F-350 Tremor 6.7 Powerstroke to buy my 2022 F-150 PB FX4 because I sold my saltwater boat and went back to a bass boat.

I’ve owned a lot of diesels over the years and everytime I swapped to a 1/2 ton gasser (had a few 1/2 tons diesels as well), I’d end up going back to a 3/4-1 ton diesel. I always missed the torque of the diesel.

The torque of the twin turbo ecoboosts engines and the quietness of the F-150 have almost convinced me to stop thinking about diesels 😂

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
One issue w/ the powerboost is brake by wire. You're not going to get analog smooth because it's digitally blended with the hybrid regen motor. Towing is supposed to rely on it less but it is what it is. The F150 has plenty of mass in the brakes, you just have to push harder. It's like the truck keeps questioning you if you reeeaallly want that much force. Now if they were smart about it they'd use the digital brakes to see speed delta v. pedal input and really go to work on stopping it.

The ecoboost engine could have better engine braking, but there's a nice premium you pay for a 250 upgrade. Logically I see a F150 PHEV in the future. Take the powerboost, add a larger electric motor and 12-14x the current battery. That'd allow for regen braking about on par with a medium setting in a 2500 series truck depending on SOC.

The cells from 1 base lightning would give us enough for FIVE of such trucks. A damn fine trade.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I love how you think man. :)

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
Two things:
1) electric trailer brakes. Nice for stopping, required for arresting sway.
2) Brake kit like Powerstop. Cheap, actually makes a difference. It's also way easier to spend money on brake rotors/pads for a hybrid because the pads will last 50k miles with light use (i.e. unladen and using mostly the electric motor to stop the truck). I have a pair of front EBC rotors that I'm not using if you want a cheapo option (I'm in Houston...not sure if that's convenient), but you'd be on your own for pads. I wound up getting the Powerstop kit after getting tooled around on EBC pads and a ship date for over a year.

Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
I haven't towed with this Powerboost. Braking has always been kind of wonky. There have been many times coming up to stopped traffic that normal brake pressure wasn't stopping me. I've had to stand on them plenty hard more than once to get woahed down.
I also came from a Ram 1500 Limited 4X4 and the Ram interior was nicer. The Sync 4 is about the same as Uconnect. I like the landscape infotainment screen much better on the F150.
Now, if everything falls my way tomorrow, I'll be swapping the 2021 F150 Platinum 4X4 Powerboost for a 2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 1500. There is one that the guy that ordered it has become wishy-washy and has til noon tomorrow to buy or pass. I'll be there tomorrow morning....

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost
I haven't towed with this Powerboost. Braking has always been kind of wonky. There have been many times coming up to stopped traffic that normal brake pressure wasn't stopping me. I've had to stand on them plenty hard more than once to get woahed down.
I also came from a Ram 1500 Limited 4X4 and the Ram interior was nicer. The Sync 4 is about the same as Uconnect. I like the landscape infotainment screen much better on the F150.
Now, if everything falls my way tomorrow, I'll be swapping the 2021 F150 Platinum 4X4 Powerboost for a 2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 1500. There is one that the guy that ordered it has become wishy-washy and has til noon tomorrow to buy or pass. I'll be there tomorrow morning....
What motor in the Denali

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
For me the Powerboost has no challengers yet.

I'm actually surprised that it's entered its 3rd year of production and nobody has stepped up to the plate yet. Surely it wasn't that big of a secret in the spy network of manufacturing?
Perhaps it was viewed as a fad?

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
What motor in the Denali
6.2l. Same engine as my ZL1 just not supercharged. I don't drive enough miles per year for the gas mileage difference to matter much. This will be my first GM truck if this deal comes together tomorrow.

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost
6.2l. Same engine as my ZL1 just not supercharged. I don't drive enough miles per year for the gas mileage difference to matter much. This will be my first GM truck if this deal comes together tomorrow.
I’m very familiar with it. It’s literally the only motor that could get me out of this truck
Sponsored