First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Construction Laborer
Guy is definitely not a fan of Fumoto drain values. Online reviews are overwhelmingly positive. My guess is a remnant of what was once the piston clogged the valve. Anyone else ever experience this issue?
I was thinking the same thing. Dude was processing a piston through his oil system and complaining about things being plugged up and therefore junk. lol
Sponsored

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
The lower static compression is key to taking advantage of the additional boost. It used to be crazy to think of boosting anything with over 10:1 static compression. 12:1 is nuts for even an NA street car but it’s possible with high speed processing of the real time engine data. These engines are already close to their limits naturally aspirated.
Not any-more the case with direct injection. The 5.0’s direct injection portion of the fueling system runs at 3,000 psi. Fuel can be jetted against serious head pressure into the cylinder on the compression stroke. This dodges the old detonation issue. I posted similar on previous page too. The 5.2 Shelby motor doesn’t have direct injection like the production Ford 5.0, so it requires the lower static compression. The 5.0 can simply delay and inject fuel on compression stroke. The 5.2 has to suck fuel in with the intake stroke, meaning the fuel cannot be used to cool the intake charge and is all ready in the cylinder at the start of compression. They could in theory raise the static compression if they added DI to the 5.2, but to date it only uses port injection with high flow pumps.

Last edited:

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
The 5.2 doesn’t need advanced fuel injection because it doesn’t need to meet the increasingly stringent EPA goals that the millions of 5.0 engines do.

It’s a lot cheaper and less of a risk to just throw fuel at the problem and not go to the heroic effort of high pressure fuel injection which is required because all of the manufacturers are pushing the limits of internal combustion in their engines. Go a little outside of the ideal fuel/air/spark at WOT and these engines are smoked just like the one in video, boost or not.

I’d actually argue that they are closer to the edge stock than with a tune because they have their hands tied with emissions and fuel economy along with providing good HP and that nice flat torque curve. Just like all of the manufacturers getting busted over gaming the EPA drive cycle and having the engine only operating at the crazy limits that are only possible because of what you’re describing with direct injection. Then when the ECM can sense the vehicle operating outside of the EPA cycle; it dials things back or even can safely use lean burn to get good MPG at low throttle openings.

Same thing with a tune or e85; you can add a little more fuel and have a better cushion against detonation or play with the timing more. Just because you can get more HP with a tune doesn’t mean much. Also, static compression is one of those things that are never seen again once you start the engine. You can play with it in the timing to some extent like the Atkinson Cycle engines. If There weren’t CAFE or EPA standards; I would not be surprised if Ford stayed with steel bodies and pushrod engines for the trucks.

Ford bought 10 years over GM with the DOHC Ti-VCT when it came to avoid using a cylinder deactivation scheme but ran out because they absolutely are pushing the platform to its limit. They’re looking for anything and everything to get safely to the edge of the operating capabilities, including the drive belt for the oil pump. There’s no where else to go other than small iterative things like that.

When the SVT 4.6 Cobra came out and I saw/heard the 32v V8; with its badge signed by the dudes that built the engine, I never would have guessed that they would start putting an improved version in a half ton truck and cranking them out by the millions. Or even that there would be V6 Toyota minivans pushing 300HP!

Any of these factory engines that can push the limits of HP per pound and HP/liter would be a series winning motor back in even the early EFI days in whatever class they would be in and go over a hundred thousand miles. I think that the Coyote would be competitive in Group C back in the day; when they first started worrying about fuel economy and power. A lot of the old HP numbers were the qualifying output and sometimes they were even allowed a different fuel blend. The actual race numbers would be disappointing by today’s standards. It’s all from the newest technology that ekes out every last BTU from the fuel.

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
The only place left to go is raise compression even more (Mazda is running 14:1 in their Skyactiv line) or hybrid. The 3.5 EcoBoost and 5.0 both produce similar emissions, and are both at their platform limits in current forms. They cannot lean out the EcoBoost any more as that extra fuel is needed to cool the intake charge and not burn up the turbine. That’s why the PowerBoost followed to cut emissions further. It’s just shuts the engine off or assists when needed.

Frankly I would rather have a hybrid V-8 than no V-8. I think Farley has gotten that message, as on a recent call he said a hybrid V-8 is “highly likely” very soon. It would be wise to just cut the 2.7 EB for the pickups and offer a hybrid 5.0 and the 3.5 PowerBoost. I think most EcoBoost guys would be fine with the 3.5 as they are both turbocharged V-6 and the PowerBoost can get 2.7 MPG’s. I also think Farley knows us V-8 guys do not follow that same mantra and is starting to get it. Realistically I will say even thought the current cylinder deactivation scheme Ford came up with seems well designed and reliable compared to the competitors pushrod setups, it could be still be eliminated from a cost standpoint with a series hybrid.

Babbage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 3.5 XLT 302A FX4 PP2K 36GAL TOW
Occupation
Wild horse rider
When the SVT 4.6 Cobra came out and I saw/heard the 32v V8; with its badge signed by the dudes that built the engine, I never would have guessed that they would start putting an improved version in a half ton truck and cranking them out by the millions. Or even that there would be V6 Toyota minivans pushing 300HP!
I absolutely loved my 2003 300A Mercury Marauder - 44cc 32v heads - 4.6 N/A Aluminator. 4400lbs - 0-60 under 5 - 13.7 @99 1/4 - what a great engine. The last of the great v8 rwd American full size sedan.

Sponsored

oldschool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'14 escape, '04 f150, '03 fjr1300, 21 xlt PB 2wd
Occupation
retired
Seriously, when I heard him say, "If the blocks okay I'm gonna sleeve it."
I just about threw up. Then he said he wondered if the water pump was the same for Expeditions because he needed one?!

This guy Frankensteins used parts for his repairs\builds??? I'd never use him.
He probably thinks of this as a seasoned block

brfertig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 5.0 4X4 ELocker Fox Racing w/35's
Occupation
Sr Project Manager & Investor
I built this 5.0 Ford Windsor for my Shelby Cobra MK4 from Factory Five Racing 4 years ago.

It made 475HP and 11:1 Compression but ran great on 91 octane. I had the dyno tune done at guy who builds boat engines. He was impressed that this is the first engine I ever built.

Ford F-150 2022 F-150 Blown 5.0L Coyote Engine Complete Teardown Video 1708406198931
Ford F-150 2022 F-150 Blown 5.0L Coyote Engine Complete Teardown Video 1708406325927
Sponsored