2021 Turning Diameter

dmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 5.0 (sold), 21 PB (sold), 22 5.0
Occupation
Gearhead!
Does anyone feel it is worse on the 21s?

Listed as the same per ford's online spec.

On a 21 Platinum, noticed it feels worse than my a prev gen truck, maybe because the 33" tires that come with the 20" wheels on the 21, as opposed to the 32" tires that come with the 18" wheels and most 2020/previous F150s are causing this.

That may be why the published specs are the same, but different for the 2 trucks.

Note: both trucks above are 4x4 145 wheelbase crew cabs.

Guys with 275 65r18 tires on their 21 F150 I'd be curious to hear if you guys feel a difference in turning radius compared to previous models. It's definitely noticeable on the platinum with 275 60r20's.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Whoosh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' PB F150,18&20 Ecoboost Explorer Platinum,
Occupation
Worker of lead
Odd, it feels like my 21' is a little less of a cruise ship to turn around than my 19' was (yes the wheel and tires are the same size on both)

Whoosh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Worker of lead
Do your parents feel as if they're having more trouble with this one than the previous one?

OP
OP
dmac

dmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 5.0 (sold), 21 PB (sold), 22 5.0
Occupation
Gearhead!
Do your parents feel as if they're having more trouble with this one than the previous one?
Yes. And I can confirm after driving theirs the radius is bigger.

You may be referring to the adaptive steering making it easier to maneuver in lots until you lock out (shorter turn to lock at lower speeds), which I agree is true and super nice.

KartRacer25

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SuperCab Sport 4x4 5.0 3.73 Space White
Occupation
Senior Software Engineer
It is 3/4" wider wheelbase too.
At 145", 1k miles and I'm better but still suck at parking it.

Sponsored

Whoosh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Worker of lead
Does anyone feel it is worse on the 21s?

Listed as the same per ford's online spec.

My suspicion is that on my parent's 21 Platinum, turning is noticably worse than my old 2015 4x4 Lariat, because the 33" tires that come with the 20" wheels on the 21, as opposed to the 32" tires that come with the 18" wheels and most 2020/previous F150s are causing this.

That may be why the published specs are the same, but different for the 2 trucks.

Note: both trucks above are 4x4 145 wheelbase crew cabs.

Guys with 275 65r18 tires on their 21 F150 I'd be curious to hear if you guys feel a difference in turning radius compared to previous models. It's definitely noticeable on the platinum with 275 60r20's.
As I’ve proven in life and on this forum far too many times...I ain’t smart enough to keep my f’n mouth shut so here goes...you’re talking about the difference between a tire that’s 32.07”’s tall and has a dimension of 100.77 inches and a tire that measures 32.99 inches tall and has a rolling dimension of 103.65 inches; effectively 3/4” taller...in the words of sheriff Roscoe p. Coletrane “son, that’s one mighty sensitive posterior you got on you there!

Whoosh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Worker of lead
As I’ve proven in life and on this forum far too many times...I ain’t smart enough to keep my f’n mouth shut so here goes...you’re talking about the difference between a tire that’s 32.07”’s tall and has a dimension of 100.77 inches and a tire that measures 32.99 inches tall and has a rolling dimension of 103.65 inches; effectively 3/4” taller...in the words of sheriff Roscoe p. Coletrane “son, that’s one mighty sensitive posterior you got on you there!
Ever wonder why we all have the same sized spare no matter which trim level we bought?

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
I wish they had improved it a bit for the 21s. I have an annoying U-turn I make quite frequently and there’s anyone parked on that side of the road it inevitably turns into a 3-point turn for me. Really would have liked to see a slight improvement but they instead appear to have gone the opposite direction…

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum FX4 5.0
It is 3/4" wider wheelbase too.
At 145", 1k miles and I'm better but still suck at parking it.
Ha! We are going to Florida in August and if I have delivery by then I would love to drive the new truck down there but also terrified of all the tiny parking spots in condos/restaurants.

Long story short.. It will stay at home ?

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Parking spots can be annoying, but it's parking garages that scare the hell out of me. Always paranoid of hitting the roof on something. Most are 6'6" and you can just squeeze under everything under safely, but some do have extra low clearances in random areas and it's always my biggest fear for some reason.

Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
The overall track on the Gen. 14 Ford F-150s is 3/4” wider than the last generation. That will contribute to a larger turning radius.

Compared to my Mazda, the turning radius on my F-150 is straight GARBAGE! This is my first truck, and I’m still a little surprised with how much real estate it takes up while making a U-Turn or other maneuvers. This is my first full size truck, so guess it’s on par for the truck class, though.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
The overall track on the Gen. 14 Ford F-150s is 3/4” wider than the last generation. That will contribute to a larger turning radius.

Compared to my Mazda, the turning radius on my F-150 is straight GARBAGE! This is my first truck, and I’m still a little surprised with how much real estate it takes up while making a U-Turn or other maneuvers. This is my first full size truck, so guess it’s on par for the truck class, though.
I drove a slammed 79 Chev long wheelbase 2wd from 79-08 when I finally parked it for the last time.
slammed square longbed 2-wheelers need about a whole county to get turned around. My square 4x4 truck could do circles inside that black one.
But it sure did ride nice and went like a bat outta hell.

I don’t even try to find decent parking for my new one.
just back it as far away as I can, ‘cause a Super8 ain’t turning either, but sure does ride nice.

Whoosh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Worker of lead
I drove a slammed 79 Chev long wheelbase 2wd from 79-08 when I finally parked it for the last time.
slammed square longbed 2-wheelers need about a whole county to get turned around. My square 4x4 truck could do circles inside that black one.

just back it as far away as I can, ‘cause a Super8 ain’t turning either, but sure does ride nice.
lol, I taught my daughter to drive in the 97' extended cab with an 8' bed when she was ten (saturday morning's at 5am in the local shopping mall parking lot was our Daddy Daughter time, I'd take a lawn chair and a news paper and sit next to a light pole and she'd knock herself out for an hour or so practicing drills I gave her [no one learns to drive well with a freaked out parent in the passenger seat making those unintelligible noises we make while stomping the imaginary brake pedal through the passenger side floorboard!] with cones or until mall security turned up) and all of her friends are shocked that she can parallel park on either side of the street (she's 25 now) I didn't do a lot of crap well as a father when they were young [it's often like looking in a funhouse mirror] but they all know how to shoot, how to drive and how to ride a motorcycle lol

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150

I remember your previous posts about your old truck! Yeah, that SuperCrew 8 footer is a big girl! I can’t even imagine trying to maneuver that thing with how long it’s wheelbase is!

I’m the same way, I just find a spot as far away from others as I can. That’s probably because it’s still so new to me.

Whoosh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Worker of lead
Parking spots can be annoying, but it's parking garages that scare the hell out of me. Always paranoid of hitting the roof on something. Most are 6'6" and you can just squeeze under everything under safely, but some do have extra low clearances in random areas and it's always my biggest fear for some reason.
I duck in parking garages when I drive under the concrete support beams....like that's going to do any f'n good lol
Sponsored