First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Agriculture
Is anyone having issues configuring the sticker set-up on the 2021 F150? I had a 2016 XLT -- the setup was intuitive and no issue. The 2021 version has added a trailer sensor that appears to be designed for Gooseneck or 5th wheel trailers. I have a conventional boat trailer.

When I complete the setup for my trailer and press the trailer button it prompts me to install the trailer sensor. Question 1: Is the trailer sensor applicable for a conventional trailer? I don't think so.

Because I can't get past the trailer sensor install there is no option for me to configure the system using the stickers that come with the owners manual to apply to the trailer. This was the default config on my 2016 XLT but can't be found on the 2021 Lariat.

Question 2: Is anyone else having this issue and how do you get past it?

Ford chat site was no help. Next step is to take it to the service dept. Any help?

thanks

Dave
Sponsored

BMWtoF150

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 3.5 Eco
Occupation
Retired, Part Time Consultant
On the F150 the sensor is for conventional bumper trailers. You can use stickers, but you will have to get the software updated in the truck.

OP
OP
DFlynn68

DFlynn68

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Agriculture
On the F150 the sensor is for conventional bumper trailers. You can use stickers, but you will have to get the software updated in the truck.
thanks. I have a conventional trailer. Do you know how to get the software update for the stickers? I am connected to my home wifi and update every night. Do you know if they are going to push something? Thanks

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I'll be following this saga to see how it goes.... I thought my sticker on conventional trailer hitch was easy as well. But I guess I will have to strap this thing on tight and secure another cable to my hitch.

My concern is I have a 2nd utility trailer that I put a sticker on. Both trailers are in my trailer list in the F150 memory. Now I don't know if I can have 1 trailer with a sensor and a 2nd trailer with a sticker! So I'll be eager to know what the software update does...

BMWtoF150

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 3.5 Eco
Occupation
Retired, Part Time Consultant
thanks. I have a conventional trailer. Do you know how to get the software update for the stickers? I am connected to my home wifi and update every night. Do you know if they are going to push something? Thanks
I think you have to go to the dealer for the update. From what I read after the update you can use the sensors or the stickers???

Sponsored

OP
OP
DFlynn68

DFlynn68

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Agriculture
Yeah -- thanks. I'll give the dealer a call and report back what I find.

OP
OP
DFlynn68

DFlynn68

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Agriculture
I think you have to go to the dealer for the update. From what I read after the update you can use the sensors or the stickers???
Called the dealer today and the service department had never heard of an issue with the sticker set up. I called the ford help desk about the software update and they said there is no update scheduled that she could see. This was an operator not a tech person. I'm at a loss. Next step is to take it in and see if they can make heads or tails of it.

TommyGun

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT & 2013 Ford Escape
Occupation
Environmental Scientist
Any solution. I tried to set mine up using the sticker as well and got the same issue.

OP
OP
DFlynn68

DFlynn68

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Agriculture
Any solution. I tried to set mine up using the sticker as well and got the same issue.
thanks for confirming I'm not crazy. Haven't had time to get to the dealer. Will update when I learn something new

Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum Powerboost sold, 2023 Tremor 5.0 now
The only method in the owners manual is to use the sensor. It only works on conventional trailers. No mention of the stickers that I see. Detailed step by step instructions starting on page 410.

Sponsored

TommyGun

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT & 2013 Ford Escape
Occupation
Environmental Scientist
thanks for confirming I'm not crazy. Haven't had time to get to the dealer. Will update when I learn something new
I contacted my dealer, they want me to bring it in to se if there are any bugs to work out since it's a new vehicle. Called Ford customer service, they are clueless to this problem that seems wide spread. I also reached out to Andre at TFL Truck to see if maybe he has a contact at Ford, or at least give the problem more attention to get Ford to address it. Will update.

OP
OP
DFlynn68

DFlynn68

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Agriculture
I contacted my dealer, they want me to bring it in to se if there are any bugs to work out since it's a new vehicle. Called Ford customer service, they are clueless to this problem that seems wide spread. I also reached out to Andre at TFL Truck to see if maybe he has a contact at Ford, or at least give the problem more attention to get Ford to address it. Will update.
Nice! Thanks for the update. On the other BackUp Assist thread here, the group believes the wire harness with the sensor attachment works with conventional trailers. I'm going to give that a whirl next weekend and see if it works. WIll let you know.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Sensor seems "ok" if you don't mind yet more cables and wires to secure, but it sure seems that a system that is designed to handle/remember more than one trailer would have defaulted to being able to use stickers ALSO. Uninstalling the sensor and moving it to a 2nd trailer would likely require new calibration unless you can match it exact again? I don't know if the sensor is only for yaw detection or also the other axes, or much else about it until I can play with it. Also my travel trailer and utility trailer already have stickers on them and I can be good to go after I go and enter all the measurements I already took (wrote them in the the little book the first time).

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I was wondering what that silly looking connection plug was for and then the bag with the cabling. I used it maybe twice on my boat just to see it work. Then went back to doing it the old fashion way. Lol

Will be interesting to see the answers though.

OP
OP
DFlynn68

DFlynn68

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Agriculture
I was wondering what that silly looking connection plug was for and then the bag with the cabling. I used it maybe twice on my boat just to see it work. Then went back to doing it the old fashion way. Lol

Will be interesting to see the answers though.
Hey Bob -- I posted this to the other Backup Assist thread yesterday. Sensor with wire harness works great on my boat trailer. Not crazy about the extended cord length. And not sure if my placement of the sensor will survive the first boat launch at the ramp. May be a one-time use only :)

Ford F-150 2021 Trailer Backup Assist setup? IMG_7763.JPG

Ford F-150 2021 Trailer Backup Assist setup? IMG_7764.JPG

Ford F-150 2021 Trailer Backup Assist setup? IMG_7765.JPG

Ford F-150 2021 Trailer Backup Assist setup? IMG_7766.JPG
Sponsored