Sponsored

2021 PowerBoost and Towing... Terrible MPG while towing

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I'm also towing an Imagine 2400bh. I got 11 mpg today driving over 200 miles at 5,000-8,000 feet altitude. Top speed was 65 mph. I'm also getting better fuel efficiency as I break in the truck, currently at almost 6,000 miles.
I'm at 1900 miles so I'm hoping that's part of it. I think I also need to redo my hitch setup, that might help as well....
Sponsored

HCFX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat BAP
Poor towing MPG has, and always will be an Ecoboost platform downfall. Hybrid won't help you since the hybrid motor has basically zero contribution to any fuel usage while towing. The only thing that could help you is a slight RPM advantage having the 3.73 rear end that isn't available on the standard 3.5. The 3.5 also has more power than any half ton you've towed with, and air requires fuel. I'd actually venture to say that both the standard gas and Hybrid 3.5 are both overpowered for what a half ton chassis should actually be able to handle in the real world.

I've towed thousands of miles with several Ecoboosts since I bought the first one in my area in October of 2010, and all of them have been identical. If you get 10mpg towing any enclosed trailer you should be tickled. I have averaged 5-7.5mpg towing my toy hauler with 3 different generations of 3.5 Ecoboost in varying conditions. The best I've seen is 9mpg with a tailwind at 60mph. That's the way it is with the hilly terrain I live in. I'm confident that anyone that tells you they get any better than 9-10mpg towing any enclosed trailer consistently with a 3.5 is either lying to you, they live on a desert floor with no hills, or their dash computer is lying to them. ?‍♂

The alternative is a screaming V8 that might better you by 1-2mpg, or the small diesel which will best both by several MPG but won't tow with nearly the amount of power reserve the Ecoboost trucks have. DEF usage is also heavy with the 3.0 Powerstroke while towing. You have to ask yourself what engine will work best for your needs, which is why Ford offers you the option.

For the 5-6 times a year I tow recreationally I accept the thirst because there is no cheaper alternative. The 3.0 diesel will cost me $5k over the 3.5 and I won't make that back in the time I will own this truck (and I wouldn't be able to plant my foot in the carpet and pass anything in short order with that engine), the 5.0 will be almost as thirsty and far less effortless with it's power band, and I'll sell my trailer before I'll buy any 3/4+ ton truck. I've had 3 2017+ F250 company trucks that I put a combined 140,000 miles on up and down the same shitty highways and logging roads, enough miles to know I will never want to daily drive one. Cest La Vie.

Ford F-150 2021 PowerBoost and Towing... Terrible MPG while towing 20215

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Correct, I got 6mpg on that leg (I wasn't quite full from picking my trailer up 25 mins away and bringing it home). I did the same trip a couple weeks later and got maybe 8mpg. Trailer is an Imagine 2400bh with an empty weight Of 5725 lbs....not massive. Very disappointed in mileage
Hmm. I had a 2800BH and overall life before selling was 9.0MPG. I would get roughly 7MPG going to campgrounds (sierras) and 11-13 headed home. On flat interstates I can get between 10.5-11 if I do 8th lockouts on over/underpasses and minor stretches where 8th enters boost.

I've only done one trip home with my new 2500RL, one camp trip (3000ft) and one flat 45 mile trip. So far 9.6MPG over the life.

I don't go over 60mph (except maybe to quickly pass a semi). I also would be disappointed with your 2400BH fuel economy.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I'm also towing an Imagine 2400bh. I got 11 mpg today driving over 200 miles at 5,000-8,000 feet altitude. Top speed was 65 mph. I'm also getting better fuel efficiency as I break in the truck, currently at almost 6,000 miles.
This is more in line with what I expect, if I calibrate versus my data on my 2800BH and 2500RL at 60mph. Our trailers all have the exact front wind profile, just tiny difference in lengths and weights.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I'm at 1900 miles so I'm hoping that's part of it. I think I also need to redo my hitch setup, that might help as well....
Can you describe your hitch setup? I'm curious what could be the difference and hurting you versus what others are getting.

FYI when hitched up with my WDH, my wheel wells are both roughly 38.5" off the ground. I upgraded my stock 205/75r15's to 225/75/r15's, which raise my trailer about 0.5". My trailer is very level as well (maybe 1/2" high at nose but my shank adjust notches are 1.25" so it is optimal).

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Poor towing MPG has, and always will be an Ecoboost platform downfall. Hybrid won't help you since the hybrid motor has basically zero contribution to any fuel usage while towing. The only thing that could help you is a slight RPM advantage having the 3.73 rear end that isn't available on the standard 3.5. The 3.5 also has more power than any half ton you've towed with, and air requires fuel. I'd actually venture to say that both the standard gas and Hybrid 3.5 are both overpowered for what a half ton chassis should actually be able to handle in the real world.

I've towed thousands of miles with several Ecoboosts since I bought the first one in my area in October of 2010, and all of them have been identical. If you get 10mpg towing any enclosed trailer you should be tickled. I have averaged 5-7.5mpg towing my toy hauler with 3 different generations of 3.5 Ecoboost in varying conditions. The best I've seen is 9mpg with a tailwind at 60mph. That's the way it is with the hilly terrain I live in. I'm confident that anyone that tells you they get any better than 9-10mpg towing any enclosed trailer consistently with a 3.5 is either lying to you, they live on a desert floor with no hills, or their dash computer is lying to them. ?‍♂

The alternative is a screaming V8 that might better you by 1-2mpg, or the small diesel which will best both by several MPG but won't tow with nearly the amount of power reserve the Ecoboost trucks have. DEF usage is also heavy with the 3.0 Powerstroke while towing. You have to ask yourself what engine will work best for your needs, which is why Ford offers you the option.

For the 5-6 times a year I tow recreationally I accept the thirst because there is no cheaper alternative. The 3.0 diesel will cost me $5k over the 3.5 and I won't make that back in the time I will own this truck (and I wouldn't be able to plant my foot in the carpet and pass anything in short order with that engine), the 5.0 will be almost as thirsty and far less effortless with it's power band, and I'll sell my trailer before I'll buy any 3/4+ ton truck. I've had 3 2017+ F250 company trucks that I put a combined 140,000 miles on up and down the same shitty highways and logging roads, enough miles to know I will never want to daily drive one. Cest La Vie.

20215.jpg
Holy cow that looks awesome! What is the GVWR on that bad boy? I looked at toy haulers for the large living room but we won't haul toys and they intentionally put so much hitch weight that if you don't counter balance it with heavy toys they overload the F150 when dry. Have you ever used a tongue scale? I'm curious what you get, as it seems like you haven't had issues thusfar and your setup looks nice and level!

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Holy cow that looks awesome! What is the GVWR on that bad boy? I looked at toy haulers for the large living room but we won't haul toys and they intentionally put so much hitch weight that if you don't counter balance it with heavy toys they overload the F150 when dry. Have you ever used a tongue scale? I'm curious what you get, as it seems like you haven't had issues thusfar and your setup looks nice and level!
and looks sweet and level even with the 2" level and wheel/tire upgrade. :)

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
What is your average speed while towing?

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
With all the talk of limiting the transmission to 7th, 8th - I wonder: is there a negative to running for an extended time @ 2.5k RPMs?

We are going on a 3000 mile RV trip pulling a 7600# travel trailer. If I lock out 8-10 for that long, am I asking for trouble?

Sponsored

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
With all the talk of limiting the transmission to 7th, 8th - I wonder: is there a negative to running for an extended time @ 2.5k RPMs?

We are going on a 3000 mile RV trip pulling a 7600# travel trailer. If I lock out 8-10 for that long, am I asking for trouble?
As along as all your temps are fine it shouldn't matter. The transmission won't hate it because on automatics heat is mostly built up in the torque converter, running at a higher RPM at that speed shouldn't matter to it though. The engine will produce more heat, but not a crazy amount more than 1800 RPM. So again as long as temps stay in the normal ranges it won't really matter. I mean 2500 RPM for 3 hours is more general wear on parts that 1800 RPM for 3 hours, but only because the moving parts in the engine are doing those extra revolutions. But it's a drop in the bucket when considering the life of the truck.

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Can you describe your hitch setup? I'm curious what could be the difference and hurting you versus what others are getting.

FYI when hitched up with my WDH, my wheel wells are both roughly 38.5" off the ground. I upgraded my stock 205/75r15's to 225/75/r15's, which raise my trailer about 0.5". My trailer is very level as well (maybe 1/2" high at nose but my shank adjust notches are 1.25" so it is optimal).
I don't think I have enough weight moving forwards and I think I'm a little nose down. I was towing around 65-68. I suspect people posting good MPG are down at 60 as stated.

Ford F-150 2021 PowerBoost and Towing... Terrible MPG while towing 40BEC218-FB10-449B-908E-9F8F436C999E

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I don't think I have enough weight moving forwards and I think I'm a little nose down. I was towing around 65-68. I suspect people posting good MPG are down at 60 as stated.

40BEC218-FB10-449B-908E-9F8F436C999E.jpeg
Man, I really don't know why you would get so much less than me or the others. The front looks only a little higher than the back on the truck so maybe you can make adjustments after measuring. I wonder if your front lifted a bit, and made the air damming less effective? I really don't see how that makes that much difference in wind resistance than mine.

Ford F-150 2021 PowerBoost and Towing... Terrible MPG while towing 1623732255987

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Man, I really don't know why you would get so much less than me or the others. The front looks only a little higher than the back on the truck so maybe you can make adjustments after measuring. I wonder if your front lifted a bit, and made the air damming less effective? I really don't see how that makes that much difference in wind resistance than mine.

1623732255987.png
Yours looks way more level, having that weight balanced back on the trailer wheels vs the rear of the truck must make a diff....the squat may be misleading, because the more it squats, the more weight on the rear, the less is probably sags since your tensioning against the springs...it's not a linear thing I imagine

We have the same Reese hitch, you had to flip the drop hitch over, as I suspected I have to do to get it level so that confirms it. You're ball is up at the top of the license plate, mine is towards the bottom of the bumper. Can you send me close up shots of your setup. I will just set mine to yours as a starting place.

HCFX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat BAP
Dry is 6330lbs, can't remember what the GVWR is. Somewhere around 10k. You are right, lots of weight forward of the axles but since I sold my 4 wheeler we intentionally load all of our camping crap into the garage to counterbalance the weight as much as possible and try to drive dry and get water close to where we camp.

Will be doing 3 passes over a scale next time we go out. One weigh with each individual axle on the truck with no trailer, hook the trailer back up and weigh all axles with trailer but no WDH, and then a final measure of all axles individually measured with WDH in place. That will give me a great idea of how my hitch is working and how much weight is being transferred to each axle including trailer axle. Measuring height is great for aesthetics but it's important to know exactly how much weight is going where it needs to go. The science that goes into this WDH shit is fascinating to me so I'm a little bit more analytical than the average person about my trailer setup.

I am around 3/4" lower in the rear than the front when the WDH is in place. So about the same as stock with no leveling kit or RAS. I'm sure if I adjusted the RAS slightly I'd bring that right back to level.
Sponsored

Last edited: