snyce1

snyce1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' F150PB PLATINUM, 17'Escape, 15'expeditionEL
I can understand that! Seeing your issues (and others) has me a bit concerned with my PB (due in Jan). I've had issues with just about every brand vehicle I've owned (and had some great ones). Unfortunately even the best car makers push out a lemon from time to time. Hope your situation gets resolved soon. Have you tried going to another dealer? It can be a pain to go that route but in some cases its worthwhile. I had to do that with my last truck (Chevy). The whole experience turned me off GM for a long time
I bought the truck 11/2/21 its a month old . I saw the ground fault error for first 4 weeks and dropped it off to dealer to ask for help . I documented the days out if use and reading up on NY lemon law ...
Service bullwtin they printed for me said to expect software update by april 2022 and check with customer by May 2022 . Main reason i bought powerboost was built in generator . I am possibly on my last Ford vehicle after this situation . I would have not bought this truck .woukd have bought much less expensive truck and bought a dedicated 7500 watt Generator
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I believe you that there is a service bulletin regarding the ProPower Onboard. But I'm not completely convinced that it's applicable to every issue related. Or put another way, I don't understand how your truck's software is any different than others, unless sometime during the build year Ford altered some component or supplier.
They definitely do make changes during the build year. They added active suspension, onboard scales, and smart hitch sometime in June.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is the only Service Bulletin I can find relevant currently. Obviously it is older and has probably served its purpose already

Ford F-150 2021 powerboost 7.2 kw failure when truck new Screenshot_20211206-225954_Edge

OP
OP
snyce1

snyce1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is the only Service Bulletin I can find relevant currently. Obviously it is older and has probably served its purpose already

Screenshot_20211206-225954_Edge.jpg
Well the service bulletin they showed me today was more recent . I will scan tomorrow and post . Said some powerboost f150's may show ground faults that are due to software issue with update planned by April 2022 underpromise overdeliver . Either way ... 78,000 dollar vehicle hobbled generator wise for first 6 mos is what im looking at ??

Mike G-Man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost, 1969 Mustang 428CJ
Occupation
Fed
I bought the truck 11/2/21 its a month old . I saw the ground fault error for first 4 weeks and dropped it off to dealer to ask for help . I documented the days out if use and reading up on NY lemon law ...
Service bullwtin they printed for me said to expect software update by april 2022 and check with customer by May 2022 . Main reason i bought powerboost was built in generator . I am possibly on my last Ford vehicle after this situation . I would have not bought this truck .woukd have bought much less expensive truck and bought a dedicated 7500 watt Generator
I feel for you. You bought a truck for a specific purpose and it doesn't work consistently, then you're told you have to wait 4 months to see a fix. They should compensate you for this until its fixed. That would be the reasonable thing to do. A corporate Ford customer service call would be my approach. I had to do that several times with my Chevy, bought new in July 2018 and problems started in Dec 2018. It was in for a CEL almost every month for a full year and the dealers (two of them) insisted each time the truck was fixed. Corporate paid one car payment, then after a few more times gave me a $1,000 accessories credit, then next time they gave me 3 years free oil change and tire rotation. I finally had enough, sold the truck Nov 2020 as I just couldn't take constantly being at the garage, work/home schedule disruptions, and borrowing a vehicle (loaners weren't always available).

Sponsored

OP
OP
snyce1

snyce1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I feel for you. You bought a truck for a specific purpose and it doesn't work consistently, then you're told you have to wait 4 months to see a fix. They should compensate you for this until its fixed. That would be the reasonable thing to do. A corporate Ford customer service call would be my approach. I had to do that several times with my Chevy, bought new in July 2018 and problems started in Dec 2018. It was in for a CEL almost every month for a full year and the dealers (two of them) insisted each time the truck was fixed. Corporate paid one car payment, then after a few more times gave me a $1,000 accessories credit, then next time they gave me 3 years free oil change and tire rotation. I finally had enough, sold the truck Nov 2020 as I just couldn't take constantly being at the garage, work/home schedule disruptions, and borrowing a vehicle (loaners weren't always available).
Have contacted ford motor company

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Again, I have been very pleased for many decades with my Ford products, but today is a very different Era in many ways and the kinds of things that Ford and other manufacturers fall short on can be very frustrating. And worse is the lack of expertise that exists to quickly address what are often simple to fix IF you can diagnose professionally.

OP
OP
snyce1

snyce1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I ordered a 2022 Powerboost and when it arrives and I am trading in my 2021 Powerboost, I'm so familiar with EVERYTHING about the truck now that I will be testing a lot of things before I make the swap. Lol

The generator is definitely on the list. I use it quite a bit. :)
But honestly, Ford has already sold in excess of 60,000 Powerboost. Only a handful have reported issues publicly. I don't think it's a widespread issue. At least I hope not.
Well they have SSM 50270
SUMMARY : PRO POWER TURNED OFF GROUND FAULT DETECTED .

HAPPENS SPONTANEOUSLY IN MY TRUCK , NOT JUST IF TEST IS DONE . RESET WORKS UNPREDICTABLY . BULLETIN SAYS SOFTWARE UPDATE EXPECTED APRIL 2022 .
WHAT MANUFACTURER EXPECTS TO RETAIN CUSTOMERS IF THEY SELL EXPENSIVE TRUCKS LIKE THIS THAT HAVE MAJOR FLAW IN FUNCTION IMMEDIATELY ??
Ford F-150 2021 powerboost 7.2 kw failure when truck new 20211207_183847

OP
OP
snyce1

snyce1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well they have SSM 50270
SUMMARY : PRO POWER TURNED OFF GROUND FAULT DETECTED .

HAPPENS SPONTANEOUSLY IN MY TRUCK , NOT JUST IF TEST IS DONE . RESET WORKS UNPREDICTABLY . BULLETIN SAYS SOFTWARE UPDATE EXPECTED APRIL 2022 .
WHAT MANUFACTURER EXPECTS TO RETAIN CUSTOMERS IF THEY SELL EXPENSIVE TRUCKS LIKE THIS THAT HAVE MAJOR FLAW IN FUNCTION IMMEDIATELY ??
20211207_183847.jpg
Marketing called me to say sorry and no solution other than 6 mos wait until april 2022. I asked to speak with an engineer but was denied . The engineers dont speak to customers. Im working on some software reset ideas that are easier and adaptable to reset software without update myself if Ford cannot help . Thinking of a battery disconnect switch that may allow software reboot if generator is critical but will not reset which its done many times so far ..

WRS

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Aviation
Turn in an arbitration case and get rid of it or settle on a solution with Ford. Modify the truck and see where that gets you in arbitration. Ford obviously knows the fix and has a timeline for correction, if the timeline is unacceptable to you follow the process. It is not a widespread issue.

Sponsored

OP
OP
snyce1

snyce1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turn in an arbitration case and get rid of it or settle on a solution with Ford. Modify the truck and see where that gets you in arbitration. Ford obviously knows the fix and has a timeline for correction, if the timeline is unacceptable to you follow the process. It is not a widespread issue.
Theres a service bulletin out so must be a significant number

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It's actually not a TSB (yet), but only a Special Service Message.
SSM: Special Service Messages, generally an acknowledgement that an issue exists and Ford Technical is looking into a possible fix

And it is my opinion that it is being presented as a catch-all for any/all trucks presenting the ground fault error, when there could be more than one potential cause.
I've already stated that I'm skeptical of the "OTA future solution" because that would imply that my same year same option truck has a software issue too. Why wouldn't it? Yet mine, and thousands of others, are working as designed.
I'm of the opinion that the Powerboost brings a considerable amount of new-to-dealership technology that has never been seen before by the service departments and that training and support from Ford is lagging for the kind of issue that you are experiencing. I mean name one mechanic that has ever gone home for supper and told his wife that he now knows everything he needs to know about F150 Powerboost ProPower Onboard system. ?
I like the idea of you at least attempting a "reset" to anything that can be reset. You have nothing to lose while you wait.

Do you know if it throws any kind of codes?
Do you have Forscan by any chance?

WRS

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Aviation
Does your pro-power work? That Bulletin is for a message after test. if yours is not working with this fault then you have a different problem. If it works without kicking off but have this nuisance message then wait for the update.

OP
OP
snyce1

snyce1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It's actually not a TSB (yet), but only a Special Service Message.
SSM: Special Service Messages, generally an acknowledgement that an issue exists and Ford Technical is looking into a possible fix

And it is my opinion that it is being presented as a catch-all for any/all trucks presenting the ground fault error, when there could be more than one potential cause.
I've already stated that I'm skeptical of the "OTA future solution" because that would imply that my same year same option truck has a software issue too. Why wouldn't it? Yet mine, and thousands of others, are working as designed.
I'm of the opinion that the Powerboost brings a considerable amount of new-to-dealership technology that has never been seen before by the service departments and that training and support from Ford is lagging for the kind of issue that you are experiencing. I mean name one mechanic that has ever gone home for supper and told his wife that he now knows everything he needs to know about F150 Powerboost ProPower Onboard system. ?
I like the idea of you at least attempting a "reset" to anything that can be reset. You have nothing to lose while you wait.

Do you know if it throws any kind of codes?
Do you have Forscan by any chance?
Thanks....i do have A codereader which i will use goibg forward. Having just bought this truck i wanted Dealer to have first try to make it work like it is supposed to . So far 1 reset with battery disconnect at home . Not feasable to disconnect battery leads everytime this occurs but ill consider figuring out a lever switch for battery switch or automatic remote switch if i can find one rated to handle the current that the powerboost runs thru its system that ill research but the ones ive seen handle 12v/ 300A. Meanwhile the salespeople are going to try to get compensation from Ford for me. My dealership is awesome they back up everything they sell though this is a manufacturer responsibility in my opinion

OP
OP
snyce1

snyce1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Theres a service bulletin out so must be a significant number
Here is pic of Error screen that is happening spontaneously. Reset never works from this screen . Following reset by reboot fewer errors only 2 since dec 6th and reset works after the test screen . Next to run the generator to higher loads and test again .
Ford F-150 2021 powerboost 7.2 kw failure when truck new 20211128_194407
Sponsored