Sponsored

2021 Power Running boards .. are they all new?

Six7Kevin

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Limited
I have had 2010 Platty and now 2016 Limited. My power running boards have gummed up numerous times on both vehicles. Are the 14 gen boards/motors new. I’ve been reading that the motors are louder now. I’m hoping they have corrected this design flaw!1 I’m looking to trade to 21 Limited this year
Sponsored

charliecbp

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F 150 Limited PowerBoost
I have had 2010 Platty and now 2016 Limited. My power running boards have gummed up numerous times on both vehicles. Are the 14 gen boards/motors new. I’ve been reading that the motors are louder now. I’m hoping they have corrected this design flaw!1 I’m looking to trade to 21 Limited this year
I had a 2011 harley edition and a 2019 Limited and now 2021 Limited, all with power running boards, I have never had a problem with them. I do think the 2021's are a little louder but doesn't bother me at all. I like the longer design and really like the kick switch to deploy and stow them without having to open and close doors

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
The 2021 F150 is the first vehicle I've owned with power running boards, and IMO they are much louder than they should be. Any time someone new gets in and the boards retract, they're a bit startled with a "What was that?!".

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR SQ 4X4 PB
Occupation
Retired Army
I don’t consider mine that loud. Check out You Tube for maintenance, especially if you live in snow country.

OP
OP

Six7Kevin

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Limited
I don’t consider mine that loud. Check out You Tube for maintenance, especially if you live in snow country.
I will have to look that up. I’m definitely in snow country

Sponsored

OP
OP

Six7Kevin

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Limited
Still wondering if Ford is still using same motors , since people said they definitely sound louder than the old ones. Hopefully they are an improvement over the old ones. Around here (Mass) I always see Plattys/Limited F150s and Expeditions driving around with them stuck in the down position. Not sure if it’s cold weather/ salt thing or if it is an issue everywhere. I wash my truck all the time in the winter with the undercarriage deluxe wash and still have problems with the power boards

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
I'm to the point where I'm going to try leaving my running boards in extended/deployed mode all the time. The motor noise getting in and out of the vehicle is annoying to me, I like the look better with them deployed, and I would think in deployed mode they'd help keep some of the road debris away from the body.

Goose2

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 ford f150
I had a 2011 harley edition and a 2019 Limited and now 2021 Limited, all with power running boards, I have never had a problem with them. I do think the 2021's are a little louder but doesn't bother me at all. I like the longer design and really like the kick switch to deploy and stow them without having to open and close doors
Might be because you live in the climate you live in. I would not own them here in Idaho. It’s the snow and ice build up that eats them up

OP
OP

Six7Kevin

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Limited
Where is the “kick switch’ for the running boards on the 21s?