bluesman5920

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A4
Hi all,

my budget is about $57-60k. In my area, all of these options fall into this range...

21 Lariat 502A
20 king ranch
20 platinum

and for about $3k more there is one bare bones 21 platinum too. This might be the best for resale.

thoughts?
Sponsored

BigTex22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford F-150 King Ranch
I would test drive them all before deciding. The biggest game changer for me is all the updated technology in the 2021 vs. before, but not sure how important that is to you. Also, if financing over several years, may not make a huge difference if you can stretch your budget up another $5-$10K to get everything you want.

zdjelar

First Name
Saša
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited (AMB)
Occupation
Energy
Hi all,

my budget is about $57-60k. In my area, all of these options fall into this range...

21 Lariat 502A
20 king ranch
20 platinum

and for about $3k more there is one bare bones 21 platinum too. This might be the best for resale.

thoughts?
You know the answer to this..............

NoSnow

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
Hi all,

21 Lariat 502A
20 king ranch
20 platinum

thoughts?
Most of us are biased on this f150gen14 forum as we wanted the latest and greatest for various reasons so you might get a one sided response. However, there are a lot of pros purchasing a the 2020 with price as major factor. If you are considering a 21 there is a lot of great information on here.

OP
OP

bluesman5920

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A4
Drove all 3, and the 21 trucks do seem smoother and quieter. I guess to clarify, I’m wondering if there are some “lesser known” considerations from you experts I should consider besides the obvious: specs, price, etc.

Sponsored

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
I think there are a lot of factors to consider, price certainly being one of them. I sat down last spring with a dealer and was pretty close to having them dealer swap a 2020 King Ranch. I didn't think the dealer was shooting me straight on the price (which it turns out they were not), so I waited to see the 2021 before trying again with another dealer. I don't regret it one single bit. Although my truck won't be delivered for a few more weeks, based on the test drive and the testimony of owners o this forum, the 2021 is hands down a better truck.

I don't know where you are in Oklahoma, but I can tell you that my dealer in Siloam Springs, AR shot me straight on the price and with the incentives, I will be paying less than other dealers are advertising 2020's for. In addition, I have a heavily loaded Platinum Powerboost coming for very close to your top number. Shop dealers, I think you will find that you can make a great deal on a 2021 and get exactly what you want. You will be really happy with the 2021, in my opinion.

truck trader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Powerboost
Occupation
Outdoor Industry
Drove all 3, and the 21 trucks do seem smoother and quieter. I guess to clarify, I’m wondering if there are some “lesser known” considerations from you experts I should consider besides the obvious: specs, price, etc.
I buy a new truck every year. Some years I've even had a couple. I've been doing this for several years.

The technology on the 21's is amazing. I also think the ride saw an improvement this year. I have a 21 King Ranch and experienced some seat size issues. Long story, but I'm driving a 21 XLT and my King Ranch is at the dealership awaiting some resolution. I fit in the XLT seats OK, but they're considerably smaller than the 2020 seats. It pains me to say this, but I don't think I can keep a 2021 F-150. I'm just not comfortable in the drivers seat. They're simply too small for my liking.

Get in both and consider comfort before you buy.

Tireman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum, 2020 Cadillac Escalade
Occupation
I’m a tire man
Hi all,

21 Lariat 502A
20 king ranch
20 platinum

thoughts?
spend the extra 3k for the platinum.

lcrain

First Name
Lawson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150, '95 911 c2, '97 miata, '98 M3/4/5
You could also shop around. I have a ‘21 701a platinum on the way and expect to pay <$62k after incentives and the crystal clear, aggressive pricing from Granger Ford in Iowa.

Last edited:

Sponsored

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PowerBoost FX4
Coming from a 2018, I much prefer the 2021. I spent the extra coin and so should you. ?

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Hard to compete with the 2021/Gen14s. Also $57-$60K is a pretty good for a Lariat with 502A High package.

OP
OP

bluesman5920

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A4
I talked to them about the 21 platinum today and it turns out it was “mis-priced” online. Haha. The tricks they use are laughable... luckily I stopped in on my way to dinner so I had a quick excuse to leave the dealership after that junk.

Probably will look at a Lariat again.

Do you all think a 21 502a lariat or the 20 KR/plat will have better resale? It’s not a major factor in my decision, but don’t want to ignore either.

Last edited:

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
These guys coming from their late models. Heh heh heh.
I’m coming from a 98 Chev k1500 that I have grown to have quite an affection for.
5.7/5spd base Cheyenne with tilt, Cruise & AC. Dead quiet, rattle free dependable pickup.

This new one is a nice ride ( I have a mid level XLT) but I am having trouble accepting the automatic trans behavior. Comes with 40 yrs of stick shift trucks.

I have spent quite a bit of time in rental 14-18 trucks, and this does have its advantages.

Resale has never really been an issue for me as I tend to keep them til the wheels fall off. I usually don’t get rid of them till they are ready for the scrapyard.

I get that some want the latest and greatest in their rides, but I took a different approach. What do I want in it, what will I use, how will I use it, how much time do I plan on being in it.

I didn’t need any more than a base XLT, but I did step it up for a power seat, and nicer instrument panel-couple other perks that were nice, but not needed.
Had no desire to have a bunch of stuff on it that would never get used or require me to mortgage my home to repair
Sponsored