Sponsored

2021 Ford Limited F-150 Hybrid Powerboost Whining issue

eamatherne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Limited POWERBOOST Hybrid 4x4
I am having an intermittent issue with my new 2021 Limited POWERBOOST Hybrid. The truck makes a really loud whining noise when stopped and in Electric Mode. It does it in Drive as well. It continues to make the noise even when the engine starts running. The problem is that it doesnt do it all the time when you come to a stop. Below is a link to the video of the noise. It is a different noise than the one when you press the brakes. I noticed that one too, but that one doesnt bother me. Let me know if any of you have noticed this issue.
Sponsored

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
It almost sounds like the background whine of a vacuum cleaner. In fact it could be coming from a vacuum hose in your engine? Just a really quick guess. I don’t have my powerboost yet to compare. Wish I had a better answer.

mmalaski88

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 PowerBoost, 2012 Mustang GT
Occupation
Retail
I am having an intermittent issue with my new 2021 Limited POWERBOOST Hybrid. The truck makes a really loud whining noise when stopped and in Electric Mode. It does it in Drive as well. It continues to make the noise even when the engine starts running. The problem is that it doesnt do it all the time when you come to a stop. Below is a link to the video of the noise. It is a different noise than the one when you press the brakes. I noticed that one too, but that one doesnt bother me. Let me know if any of you have noticed this issue.
That definitely doesn’t sound right. I’ve heard a similar noise, but only when I’ve run propower in generator mode. Wonder if it’s some sort of power inverter noise/issue. I would definitely have the dealer check it out. Guessing this may be related to your low MPG.

How many all electric miles are you getting? I’m averaging 25%-30%with city driving. Just trying to think of things to gauge is the hybrid system is working correctly.

Cire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' F150 Platinum Hybrid 7.2kW
Occupation
Day Dreamer
If you're talking about that humming noise, mine does it as well and it's definitely from the electric motor. I haven't tried listening to it outside with the engine running, but I can certainly hear it with the engine off in electric mode and the windows up.

My truck also vibrates while in electric mode and with my foot on the brake. I keep telling myself it's by design to let me know my vehicle is on. This is how I keep myself from thinking every little sound or annoyance means that the truck is broken. One of the joys of new technology. :)

dantheman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 XLT powerboost
Mine makes a hum at idle sitting there, but nothing like this. There is also no vibration when at a stop at all.

Sponsored

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PowerBoost FX4
Almost sounds like the pedestrian alert noise. Crawl under the front of the truck and see if it’s coming from just in front of the bottom of the radiator on the driver’s side of the truck. That’s where the speaker is located. I noticed in the video it seemed most loud when you first brought the camera into that general area.

OP
OP
eamatherne

eamatherne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Almost sounds like the pedestrian alert noise. Crawl under the front of the truck and see if it’s coming from just in front of the bottom of the radiator on the driver’s side of the truck. That’s where the speaker is located. I noticed in the video it seemed most loud when you first brought the camera into that general area.
I would like to think that, but my son has an XLT POWERBOOST and his does not ever make this sound! Unless this is a "Limited POWERBOOST" feature possibly? It is a really annoying loud whine. I don't think its normal because it doesnt do it all the time?

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It makes a similar sounding noise when driving at slow speeds. The speaker is visible if you get under there abs look. Black round canister with canted vents on the bottom just in front of the radiator. Perhaps there’s an issue with the control module and the speaker is making noise when it shouldn’t. Your Son’s truck likely makes the noise when in motion. The alert system doesn’t make the noise all the time. 0-18 mph. Does your reverse chime work?

OP
OP
eamatherne

eamatherne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It makes a similar sounding noise when driving at slow speeds. The speaker is visible if you get under there abs look. Black round canister with canted vents on the bottom just in front of the radiator. Perhaps there’s an issue with the control module and the speaker is making noise when it shouldn’t. Your Son’s truck likely makes the noise when in motion. The alert system doesn’t make the noise all the time. 0-18 mph. Does your reverse chime work?
OK, for sure the sound is coming from the speaker. We did find it under the truck. My son looked under the truck and was able to hear it. So yes, it is coming from the speaker. The question is why so loud I guess? Also, his truck does make the sound, it is just at a much lower volume. I will say though, it does not make the sound every time I use the truck. This morning for instance it didnt make the noise when I parkerd it when I went to work. Weird, but I guess all normal. Surely no mention of this in the maual or anything the dealer knows about.

Sponsored

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mine seems to make the noise when in motion, regardless if the gas motor is running or not. It is quite loud. It’s much louder than the gas engine in the cabin. I made a post about this yesterday since it’s annoying to me. Was yours making the noise when the truck was n park? If so, that doesn’t make sense.

OP
OP
eamatherne

eamatherne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mine seems to make the noise when in motion, regardless if the gas motor is running or not. It is quite loud. It’s much louder than the gas engine in the cabin. I made a post about this yesterday since it’s annoying to me. Was yours making the noise when the truck was n park? If so, that doesn’t make sense.
I thought it was doing while it was in park the first time it happened. I was in my shop when I came running out to see what the loud whining noise was that was coming from my new truck! I had put it in park (at least I thought I did), left it running and went to get something out of my shop. Could I have had the door open and put the emergency brake on and left it in Drive? Maybe, but I doubt it. As you may know when you leave the truck in Drive or any gear, when you open the door it shifts into park automatically. However, the only time it is whining now is when it is any mode but park. When shifting into park, it stops whining. Also, the whining noise now is not near as loud as that first time. This makes me seem crazy I know!

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My hunch would be you may have auto-hold on or something. I'd have to test on my truck what would occur during auto-hold if the door is opened. At least you know it's nothing major. There could also be something else causing the control module to activate the speaker. These are early trucks and there will likely be many module and primary calibration updates as the trucks quickly rack up miles.

GreatAcorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Hybrid
My hunch would be you may have auto-hold on or something. I'd have to test on my truck what would occur during auto-hold if the door is opened. At least you know it's nothing major. There could also be something else causing the control module to activate the speaker. These are early trucks and there will likely be many module and primary calibration updates as the trucks quickly rack up miles.
I recently bought a new F150 PB Lariat and had it on the service floor more than I have in my driveway. I won’t go into all the details of my journey as a first mover of the PB hybrid in my area, but I’ve had similar pedestrian sounder issues from day 1. I’ve had the sounder replaced, as well as the PACM and now Ford has apparently admitted there is a program issue, at least in my truck. If it’s a program issue, I would think this would be more wide spread. I have not been given a timeframe on the program fix, but it’s annoying to hear this whining buzz sound and even more so when it’s in reverse (where it’s supposed to be a beeping sound). I would like to know if other PB owners are hearing the proper beeping sound in reverse. If not, you could have the same program issue.