2021 Ford F150 EB FX4 3.5L

Carlito's way

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 EB FX4 302-A high
Purchased a Lead Foot in color FX4 EB 3.5L back in April of 2021. This after owning a mostly trouble free 2017 F150 XLT EB 3.5L

I have noticed the following:

> Intermittent rough Idle in park or on drive (especially when hot/humid weather in FLA)

> Very harsh/rough down shifting (thump noise and jerky feel) on Eco, and Normal driving modes in particular from 9-8-7th gear.

> Lastly, intermittent slight engine knocking/pinging during low RPM acceleration in all driving modes (especially during warmer days, I always use top tier fuel stations, and have used both 87 & 93 octane ethanol and non ethanol fuels to no avail).

I have already taken to Ford and they claim this is normal on these 2021's?

Somewhat disappointed to here! for a 50K plus truck and I never experienced none of these issues when I had my 2017 F150 3.5L EB 4X4 Sport?????

I would greatly appreciate any feed back on above issues, and what if any recommendations you all may have.

Thanks
Sponsored

• Sad
Reactions: Doc

Upnorth

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f 150
I have the exact same complaints on my March 21 f150. Other threads suggest this may be a problem for the early 21’s. My Ford dealer reproduced the complaints but Ford corporate told me this was normal. I know it is not having put 110,000 miles on a 2018 with no issues. How do we get fords attention ? I would trade my truck in for a 2022 but want to be sure these issues have been resolved. Can’t get an answer on that either. I hope I don’t need to buy a 22 tundra

• Sad
OP
OP
Carlito's way

Carlito's way

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am sorry to hear but, I'm thinking the same in getting rid of this truck despite being a Ford F150 fan at heart. Very unfortunate since it is a great looking truck with awesome accessories/options.

First incident I experienced was at 4,500 miles when I experienced a sudden loss of power and luckily near the ford dealer, check engine oil light activated. Dealer found oil dip stick dry?

Blamed it on improperly seated air filter????? When asked where did the oil go? No answer. Now I know enough to determine the oil was prematurely consumed and burned out through the exhaust!

Second and third major incident for me was when driving and I experienced a low oil light, loss of power just recently. I checked oil, dip stick showed oil within the hashmarks? 15K miles on it.

I contacted Ford Customer Care which has been less than for me really but obtained a case number to formalize and have dealer checked. Dealer could not duplicate the issue with the low oil pressure light, requested the service manager to drive with me and after a few minutes/miles was able to duplicate the issue with low oil pressure light and slight loss of power(no check engine light activated unfortunately).

Kept it over the weekend, apparently on that Monday changed the oil and called it good. Ford dealer requested I drive 1-k miles and bring It back for an oil consumption test! Well I said ==== why not check now at that moment, no reasonable explanation exept that the advisor blurred out. " want to make sure it is not being tampered with". Surely I wasn't happy with that but I'll play along with their process. I am Due back to check the truck on November 1st, 2021. Granted, and needless to say I purchased this beautiful truck in March of 2021 and I am having old truck 200,000 plus miles problems?

I still hear slight engine piston/spark plug/tapping knock during acceleration in low gears, I have not heard or felt however the hard down shifting, and I have yet to have a low oil pressure light activate but it has only been less than 400 miles since taking it from the dealer.

Note: I did find some interesting information when I googled: "2021 F150 low oil pressure light" on the web the other night. It is somewhat disturbing to find there are issues with these F150's coming from CANADA? The only difference is I read it is happening with the F150's having the Cayote V8 engines. I have a 3.5 L twin turbo/eco?

Ford F-150 2021 Ford F150 EB FX4 3.5L 1634997729330
Ford F-150 2021 Ford F150 EB FX4 3.5L 1634997729330
I'll keep you abreast on my dealings with my truck and Ford Dealer when I take it back, and yes I am "eye balling" another truck unfortunately.This, for I may have a "LEMON" for the first time in my adult life.
Good luck Mr. Ben from up north. Hope this helps some.

Di2

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, 2012 Challenger R/T Classic 5.7
Occupation
Retired
Sorry to hear about your troubles with the new truck. I only have 680 km's on mine, and no issues. I'll definitely keep an eye open as I rack up the km's.

Sponsored

HATCH

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 xlt with 302A and FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I am sorry to hear but, I'm thinking the same in getting rid of this truck despite being a Ford F150 fan at heart. Very unfortunate since it is a great looking truck with awesome accessories/options.

First incident I experienced was at 4,500 miles when I experienced a sudden loss of power and luckily near the ford dealer, check engine oil light activated. Dealer found oil dip stick dry?

Blamed it on improperly seated air filter????? When asked where did the oil go? No answer. Now I know enough to determine the oil was prematurely consumed and burned out through the exhaust!

Second and third major incident for me was when driving and I experienced a low oil light, loss of power just recently. I checked oil, dip stick showed oil within the hashmarks? 15K miles on it.

I contacted Ford Customer Care which has been less than for me really but obtained a case number to formalize and have dealer checked. Dealer could not duplicate the issue with the low oil pressure light, requested the service manager to drive with me and after a few minutes/miles was able to duplicate the issue with low oil pressure light and slight loss of power(no check engine light activated unfortunately).

Kept it over the weekend, apparently on that Monday changed the oil and called it good. Ford dealer requested I drive 1-k miles and bring It back for an oil consumption test! Well I said ==== why not check now at that moment, no reasonable explanation exept that the advisor blurred out. " want to make sure it is not being tampered with". Surely I wasn't happy with that but I'll play along with their process. I am Due back to check the truck on November 1st, 2021. Granted, and needless to say I purchased this beautiful truck in March of 2021 and I am having old truck 200,000 plus miles problems?

I still hear slight engine piston/spark plug/tapping knock during acceleration in low gears, I have not heard or felt however the hard down shifting, and I have yet to have a low oil pressure light activate but it has only been less than 400 miles since taking it from the dealer.

Note: I did find some interesting information when I googled: "2021 F150 low oil pressure light" on the web the other night. It is somewhat disturbing to find there are issues with these F150's coming from CANADA? The only difference is I read it is happening with the F150's having the Cayote V8 engines. I have a 3.5 L twin turbo/eco?

1634997729330.jpeg
1634997729330.jpeg
I'll keep you abreast on my dealings with my truck and Ford Dealer when I take it back, and yes I am "eye balling" another truck unfortunately.This, for I may have a "LEMON" for the first time in my adult life.
Good luck Mr. Ben from up north. Hope this helps some.
Hey! New to the forum here. I wanted to join just to tell you I have the same situation. 4400 miles I had 2 quarts of oil. After a pile of bs they swapped a pcv valve. Up till then I was getting horrid fuel mileage. I figured it was me, but they changed it. I got 23mpg hwy. A couple thousand miles later I bring it in for an oil change and again I'm without oil. Currently I'm doing another test. It's all games. WA state has generous (ish)lemon laws, I have a feeling ill be using it. How many others with the 2021 3.5 are having this issues. 2x with that low of oil is surely to cause engine damage right? How thought are these things? I came from an 06 Cummins.
Cheers

• Sad
OP
OP
Carlito's way

Carlito's way

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Man that sucks! That is my major concern as far as engine damage goes.

i have experienced this twice as well.

Note: Went and took My truck back for an oil compression test (loss) on 11-01-2021@ Dealer and after 1-K miles driven.

Dealer claimed oil compression test and oil levels was good???????

I still hear a slight and intermittent engine knock when accelerating at low speeds/RPM’s. Almost sounds like octane knock or lack of octane knock.

Dealer at least called to check on truck amd I advised of this knock. Advisor said he will report this to upper management. I haven’t heard back for two days now.

I Will continue to monitor and advise.

thanks.

• Sad
OP
OP
Carlito's way

Carlito's way

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well,

today 11-15-2021 after driving two thousand miles after the oil change, I have very little oil inside engine oil Pan. Truck is currently sitting at the dealer.

According to the dealer, truck is down a quart of oil, reported to Ford Headquarters

funny-seems like its down more than a
Quart. See snap shot?
Ford F-150 2021 Ford F150 EB FX4 3.5L 6AA6FC0D-2F24-48E0-A88E-9E5888D878F6

Dealer cleared the truck back to me claiming its in Ford’s hands? Ford will determine which parts will need to be replaced.

OP
OP
Carlito's way

Carlito's way

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well folks,

As of 01-06-2022 and Ford Motor Co. finally coordinating an inspection/repair of my truck with the Dealer and me, revealed it needs an engine replacement :-(.

Guess I'll be in a loaner for a while now taking into the account the "state of the country" supply and staffing shortages?????.

Trying real hard to remain optimistic with this ordeal.

I hope at least that my experience helps others to check and monitor all vehicle fluids every so often. Even on a new Truck /Car.

Happy New Year folks!

Upnorth

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f 150
Well folks,

As of 01-06-2022 and Ford Motor Co. finally coordinating an inspection/repair of my truck with the Dealer and me, revealed it needs an engine replacement :-(.

Guess I'll be in a loaner for a while now taking into the account the "state of the country" supply and staffing shortages?????.

Trying real hard to remain optimistic with this ordeal.

I hope at least that my experience helps others to check and monitor all vehicle fluids every so often. Even on a new Truck /Car.

Happy New Year folks!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Carlito's way

Carlito's way

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Still waiting on specifics. Ford Engineer assigned to inspect my rig informed the service advisor that it needed an engine replacement.

So late in my stress full day at work, scrambling to find a loaner since there is a shortage of just about everything in this new world, hoping to have loaner and prepare for my one hour ride back home after work, felt like I got sucker punched in the gut,

All I wanted at that moment was to go home and cry in my bed man!

LOL!

Dnpbakon

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT F150 leadfoot
Occupation
Retired Military
Yep this is the EXACT scenario happening to me. Except the dealer tried to screw me and another one didn’t so I blamed the dealers negligence for fault and they also “stole” my truck. Took it home over night just for a joy ride. I tracked it the whole time and sent photos to my attorney. Plain and clear case.

Once I showed the dealer the work order of the KNOWN issues from the other dealer, AND the screen shots of my truck being driven through the night ( I was never called to approve the dealer to let a foreman take it home), they immediately called me and are working on getting me a new truck.

Shitty situation but I hope this helps a bit. If you do keep the truck, look into reminisced value claims for the vehicles history already needing an engine change.

OP
OP
Carlito's way

Carlito's way

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yep this is the EXACT scenario happening to me. Except the dealer tried to screw me and another one didn’t so I blamed the dealers negligence for fault and they also “stole” my truck. Took it home over night just for a joy ride. I tracked it the whole time and sent photos to my attorney. Plain and clear case.

Once I showed the dealer the work order of the KNOWN issues from the other dealer, AND the screen shots of my truck being driven through the night ( I was never called to approve the dealer to let a foreman take it home), they immediately called me and are working on getting me a new truck.

Shitty situation but I hope this helps a bit. If you do keep the truck, look into reminisced value claims for the vehicles history already needing an engine change.

Kevin,

First and foremost thank you for your service brother.

My only objective at this point is that Ford makes it right at the end.

I hope your outcome is a positive one, and they make you whole again.

Dnpbakon

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT F150 leadfoot
Occupation
Retired Military
Kevin,

First and foremost thank you for your service brother.

My only objective at this point is that Ford makes it right at the end.

I hope your outcome is a positive one, and they make you whole again.

From what I was told, Ford is aware of the problem and they have a repair. But it’s intensive and costly. Probably why they haven’t advertised it yet.

So I have no doubt they will correct your issue and get you on your way, HAPPILY.

And I appreciate the thank you, question how did you know inserved?
Sponsored