First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Raptor
Occupation
Writer
here's my write up. Thanks to many of you for the info and the speculation. I incorporated some of that into this story. https://www.torquenews.com/9539/all-engine-details-leaked-2021-ford-f-150

All Engine Details Leaked for 2021 Ford F-150

A leaked document, supposedly from Ford, hit the internet and several various Ford-related forums recently. The document offers a good look at the engine lineup for the next-generation Ford F-150.

The document reveals five carryover engines from the 13th-generation, plus the new hybrid-electric engine. None of this is overly surprising, but there was some good little tidbits that help give us more insight into the 2021 Ford F-150. Let’s take a look at each of the six engines.

2.7-liter EcoBoost V6

According to the leaked document, this will be a straight carryover from the standard, 2.7-liter Ecoboost engine offered with 325 horsepower. While we don’t know the full specs, I don’t expect anything to change from this base engine, meaning that it will 325 hp and 400 lb.-ft. of torque.

This engine is a twin-turbocharged and intercooled V6 with overhead cams.

3.3-liter Ti-VCT V6

This is Ford’s only naturally-aspirated V6 engine. It appears to be a straight carryover from the 2020 model year. According to the leaked document it will make 290 horsepower, which is the same amount as the current-generation 3.3-liter F-150. Therefore, we can assume nothing is changed and that means a torque rating of 265 lb.-ft. from this aluminum block with aluminum heads.

3.5-liter EcoBoost V6

This is the most-popular engine configuration for the F-150, so it’s no surprise that it will return for the 2021 F-150. This engine is a twin-turbocharged and intercooled V6 with overhead cams.

According to the leaked document, it will make 375 horsepower, which is the same amount as the current generation.

This engine configuration is so popular because of the torque rating of 470 lb.-ft. (at 3,500 rpm). It’s both a fuel-efficient and incredibly capable engine for towing.

3.5-liter Hybrid-Electric

Here’s where the leaked document provides little insight. We know this hybrid F-150 is coming. That’s no secret. We do see that the gasoline portion of this hybrid engine will be the 3.5-liter along with an electric motor assist (off a battery that will require a plug to recharge).

Now some of the forum rumors speculate that this will be a naturally-aspirated 3.5-liter instead of the Ecoboost. I don’t believe that will be the case at all as Ford does not offer such an engine.

Rather, the hybrid F-150 will have the 3.5-liter EcoBoost plus a hybrid motor. How much extra horsepower and torque that translates is unknown at this point. It will surely take the horsepower to over 400 hp, and the torque to over 500 lb.-ft..

One savvy forum member used the Lincoln Aviator hybrid as an example of amazing horsepower and torque and speculated that the slightly bigger 3.5-liter could even exceed the Aviator Hybrid’s performance of 494 horsepower and 630 lb.-ft. of torque. If true, that will be an exciting and viable option for truck buyers.

I don’t think it will get that much power and performance, but I do think Ford could really play up the hybrid F-150 as a legitimate contender for those who need to tow. Ford’s PR message needs to be clear, this isn’t a hybrid like a Prius, but rather a legitimate work truck that will also get great fuel economy without having to skimp on performance.

I can just imagine the torque!

3.0-liter Power Stroke Diesel

I wrote last week about the possibility that Ford would discontinue this engine due to poor sales of it. Interestingly enough, the leaked document reveals a horsepower rating of TBD (to be determined). So what is Ford up to with this engine then? Could there be a tweak to it?

The current-generation baby Power Stroke makes 250 hp and 440 lb.-ft. of torque. The EPA rating is impressive with a rating 22 mpg/city and 30 mpg/highway. But, surely the new hybrid F-150 will exceed these numbers, so I wonder if the hybrid will directly compete with the Power Stroke?

So if Ford lists the horsepower TBD, then does that mean they’re making modifications in some way to this engine? It’s quite curious why it would be listed TBD and why Ford had acted coy regarding the future of this engine. Let the speculation begin.

5.0-liter V8

A widely-circulated rumor was swirling about Ford developing a new V8 for the F-150. It was supposedly a slightly smaller 4.8-liter version. Many wondered if it would be ready for 2021. It isn’t. The popular, but slightly long-in-the-tooth naturally aspirated V8 will continue in the 2021 Ford F-150.

The leaked document shows it’s status quo for this engine which makes 395 horsepower and 400 lb.-ft. of torque.

It will either be a sigh of relief for the die-hard fans of the V8 engine or a little bit of disappointment that Ford isn’t launching a new V8 for this next-generation F-150. I would expect something new in this regard during some portion of the 14th-generation F-150, just not for 2021. Perhaps, Ford will introduce a new V8 in the 2021 Raptor? That would make sense, since it’s rumored that the 2021 Raptor will have a V8 engine.

BOB L

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Mustang GT, 2015 Wrangler
Nice summary. And agree that the 3.5L hybrid will use the twinturbo V6 ecoboost. Ford hasn't been making hybrids that go after fuel efficiency, but instead they're focusing on performance hybrids so I expect the F150 hybrid will be the same.

here's my write up. Thanks to many of you for the info and the speculation. I incorporated some of that into this story. https://www.torquenews.com/9539/all-engine-details-leaked-2021-ford-f-150

All Engine Details Leaked for 2021 Ford F-150

A leaked document, supposedly from Ford, hit the internet and several various Ford-related forums recently. The document offers a good look at the engine lineup for the next-generation Ford F-150.

The document reveals five carryover engines from the 13th-generation, plus the new hybrid-electric engine. None of this is overly surprising, but there was some good little tidbits that help give us more insight into the 2021 Ford F-150. Let’s take a look at each of the six engines.

2.7-liter EcoBoost V6

According to the leaked document, this will be a straight carryover from the standard, 2.7-liter Ecoboost engine offered with 325 horsepower. While we don’t know the full specs, I don’t expect anything to change from this base engine, meaning that it will 325 hp and 400 lb.-ft. of torque.

This engine is a twin-turbocharged and intercooled V6 with overhead cams.

3.3-liter Ti-VCT V6

This is Ford’s only naturally-aspirated V6 engine. It appears to be a straight carryover from the 2020 model year. According to the leaked document it will make 290 horsepower, which is the same amount as the current-generation 3.3-liter F-150. Therefore, we can assume nothing is changed and that means a torque rating of 265 lb.-ft. from this aluminum block with aluminum heads.

3.5-liter EcoBoost V6

This is the most-popular engine configuration for the F-150, so it’s no surprise that it will return for the 2021 F-150. This engine is a twin-turbocharged and intercooled V6 with overhead cams.

According to the leaked document, it will make 375 horsepower, which is the same amount as the current generation.

This engine configuration is so popular because of the torque rating of 470 lb.-ft. (at 3,500 rpm). It’s both a fuel-efficient and incredibly capable engine for towing.

3.5-liter Hybrid-Electric

Here’s where the leaked document provides little insight. We know this hybrid F-150 is coming. That’s no secret. We do see that the gasoline portion of this hybrid engine will be the 3.5-liter along with an electric motor assist (off a battery that will require a plug to recharge).

Now some of the forum rumors speculate that this will be a naturally-aspirated 3.5-liter instead of the Ecoboost. I don’t believe that will be the case at all as Ford does not offer such an engine.

Rather, the hybrid F-150 will have the 3.5-liter EcoBoost plus a hybrid motor. How much extra horsepower and torque that translates is unknown at this point. It will surely take the horsepower to over 400 hp, and the torque to over 500 lb.-ft..

One savvy forum member used the Lincoln Aviator hybrid as an example of amazing horsepower and torque and speculated that the slightly bigger 3.5-liter could even exceed the Aviator Hybrid’s performance of 494 horsepower and 630 lb.-ft. of torque. If true, that will be an exciting and viable option for truck buyers.

I don’t think it will get that much power and performance, but I do think Ford could really play up the hybrid F-150 as a legitimate contender for those who need to tow. Ford’s PR message needs to be clear, this isn’t a hybrid like a Prius, but rather a legitimate work truck that will also get great fuel economy without having to skimp on performance.

I can just imagine the torque!

3.0-liter Power Stroke Diesel

I wrote last week about the possibility that Ford would discontinue this engine due to poor sales of it. Interestingly enough, the leaked document reveals a horsepower rating of TBD (to be determined). So what is Ford up to with this engine then? Could there be a tweak to it?

The current-generation baby Power Stroke makes 250 hp and 440 lb.-ft. of torque. The EPA rating is impressive with a rating 22 mpg/city and 30 mpg/highway. But, surely the new hybrid F-150 will exceed these numbers, so I wonder if the hybrid will directly compete with the Power Stroke?

So if Ford lists the horsepower TBD, then does that mean they’re making modifications in some way to this engine? It’s quite curious why it would be listed TBD and why Ford had acted coy regarding the future of this engine. Let the speculation begin.

5.0-liter V8

A widely-circulated rumor was swirling about Ford developing a new V8 for the F-150. It was supposedly a slightly smaller 4.8-liter version. Many wondered if it would be ready for 2021. It isn’t. The popular, but slightly long-in-the-tooth naturally aspirated V8 will continue in the 2021 Ford F-150.

The leaked document shows it’s status quo for this engine which makes 395 horsepower and 400 lb.-ft. of torque.

It will either be a sigh of relief for the die-hard fans of the V8 engine or a little bit of disappointment that Ford isn’t launching a new V8 for this next-generation F-150. I would expect something new in this regard during some portion of the 14th-generation F-150, just not for 2021. Perhaps, Ford will introduce a new V8 in the 2021 Raptor? That would make sense, since it’s rumored that the 2021 Raptor will have a V8 engine.

star reno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 Lariat
Electric is for 2022. We knew that all along.
This pandemic has Ford pushing back production according to what I've read about Bronco. The same might happen with the P702. Given the model year dilemma with this I wonder if Ford will shorten the 2021MY, or if it production delay lasts even longer than expected, possibly "combine" the two years and push forward its full electric to a late 2021MY F-150 (??)

TheOne

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger XLT, 2015 Mustang Ecoboost convertible 50 Year Appereance Package
Occupation
Work
Notice the current gen Raptors 450HP 3.5L TT isn't listed.

Sponsored

mclroy

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Analyst
I now own a 2015 3.5 ecoboost. My next 2021 truck gonna have a five-o!

F150Writer

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Raptor
Occupation
Writer
IDK, I think that's a gigantic assumption. They treat the Raptor like a separate vehicle even though it's technically an F-150. So I think the Raptor is excluded altogether. But that's also an assumption on my part.
Sponsored