Sponsored

2021 F150 XLT 12' Screen - Blackout!!

Simo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Dealership told me they couldn't fix it with a reprogram and needed to order some module which is on backorder... Also, they did not do anything about my battery dying. Said maybe the new module will fix the battery issue. Once the module comes in it will have been my 8th trip to the dealer in 11 months. My 2015 F150's first non-matinence "service" happened at year 5. Very dissapointed in the 2021 quality.
Sponsored

OP
OP
WFordKid

WFordKid

First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
Accounting
Has anyone had the February "update" yet to see if the dark screen of death and battery drain issues (and reset of user preferences) fix these issues. Thanks

Capt Obvious

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat SUper Crew 500a 3.5 EB Max Tow
I have a case number at Ford to take mine in.
If the screen goes off then push your dash light dimmer button up or down. Note if the dimmer is all the way up then it will only light the screen back up by pushing it down and the opposite if it is already all the way down.

nhamp07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 lariat
crazy how many of us have the same problem and same wonky fix.

My dealer told me I had to drop my truck off to get in line and it would be 2-3 weeks to have them look at it. No appts no virtual line. Just leave a drivable truck for weeks and have to pay hundreds of dollars for a rental.

bosro

First Name
rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150
"Took my truck in yesterday to replace a trim piece and look into the nav screen blackout issue...I seem to only have it at dawn,never any other time tho.
"Refer to tsb 21-2310...checked for APIM update....one available,updated APIM and cleared codes"

My screen would only black out around that dawn/dusk transition.
Since I had this done my screen has not blacked out.
Been out multiple times around then since and yet to black out again.....time will tell if it stays that way.

Sponsored

OP
OP
WFordKid

WFordKid

First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
Accounting
"Took my truck in yesterday to replace a trim piece and look into the nav screen blackout issue...I seem to only have it at dawn,never any other time tho.
"Refer to tsb 21-2310...checked for APIM update....one available,updated APIM and cleared codes"

My screen would only black out around that dawn/dusk transition.
Since I had this done my screen has not blacked out.
Been out multiple times around then since and yet to black out again.....time will tell if it stays that way.
Never thought of when my screen went blank..but come to think of it, it was dawn/dusk - dusk for me. Hope the update works. Got about 1,000 miles until my oil needs to be chagned..i will inquire about this TSB 21-2310. Thanks for you post. I am hoping this helps other too.

Capt Obvious

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Update
My truck is at Ford for the insulation recall and this screen issue. The Dealership called me today and told me that there is a solution to this issue and it will require the tech spending about 2-1/2 hours with the truck updating/programming modules. They will need a constant voltage to the truck with a type of charger that they did not have. They have requested the charger and will schedule an appointment to drop off the truck for the programming. I’ll follow up after that and let y’all know if it worked out.

OP
OP
WFordKid

WFordKid

First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
Accounting
Update
My truck is at Ford for the insulation recall and this screen issue. The Dealership called me today and told me that there is a solution to this issue and it will require the tech spending about 2-1/2 hours with the truck updating/programming modules. They will need a constant voltage to the truck with a type of charger that they did not have. They have requested the charger and will schedule an appointment to drop off the truck for the programming. I’ll follow up after that and let y’all know if it worked out.
Thanks so much for the update. Seems to be a lot of work for a known issue effecting numerous trucks. Keep us updated as I will be taking my truck in for the same issues.

warsbc43

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2020 Ford Escape
Occupation
Project manager
Little update for 3/7/2022. Truck was dropped off at dealership on 2/26/2022. Dealer checked it out and ran all the diagnostics from Ford as they were supposed to. I understand from them that it is the screen or a component of the screen that was needed. Was told on 3/1/2022 that the part will be received in 3-5 days. As of 3/5/2022, the dealership did not have an update at that time. By no means am I upset or anything like that, I would rather them have it and make sure it is right. The dealer has given me a loaner (Escape) to drive until my truck is ready. I am VERY PLEASED with my dealer.

OP
OP
WFordKid

WFordKid

First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
Accounting
Little update for 3/7/2022. Truck was dropped off at dealership on 2/26/2022. Dealer checked it out and ran all the diagnostics from Ford as they were supposed to. I understand from them that it is the screen or a component of the screen that was needed. Was told on 3/1/2022 that the part will be received in 3-5 days. As of 3/5/2022, the dealership did not have an update at that time. By no means am I upset or anything like that, I would rather them have it and make sure it is right. The dealer has given me a loaner (Escape) to drive until my truck is ready. I am VERY PLEASED with my dealer.
Thanks for the update..took my truck on a 600 mile trip this weekend and everything work as it should. Which is annoying. However, when my screen went black, it was dusk and my iphone was plugged in as well. Since that day i haven't had it repeat. But also really haven't repeated the same scenario to see if the screen goes blank as well. My truck will be do for an oil change soon so i will have Ford look at this issue as well as any updates that may be available.

Sponsored

jbagnell4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew
Has anyone received a definitive resolution for the screen going out yet? It drives me nuts...somedays it will turn off 10x on a 20 min drive...

Capt Obvious

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I drive my truck all day today and the screen never went dark. It would black out several times every time I drive it even on short trips. I could cover the light sensor on the dash and duplicate the problem at any time. I have been pushing the dash light dimmer button to turn it back on for months. I looked at the FordPass app today and it said “update successful”. It seems that whatever update that I got cures the problem. I outside and covered the sensor to cycle day to night several times and it worked every time. My truck is perfect again.

Capt Obvious

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I drive my truck all day today and the screen never went dark. It would black out several times every time I drive it even on short trips. I could cover the light sensor on the dash and duplicate the problem at any time. I have been pushing the dash light dimmer button to turn it back on for months. I looked at the FordPass app today and it said “update successful”. It seems that whatever update that I got cures the problem. I outside and covered the sensor to cycle day to night several times and it worked every time. My truck is perfect again.
Wow, my iPhone typing is poor at this hour.

bosro

First Name
rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150
Since I had this done over a month ago the screen has not blacked out....we will see if it continues

Pete6114

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2023 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Retired Ford employee
Dealership told me they couldn't fix it with a reprogram and needed to order some module which is on backorder... Also, they did not do anything about my battery dying. Said maybe the new module will fix the battery issue. Once the module comes in it will have been my 8th trip to the dealer in 11 months. My 2015 F150's first non-matinence "service" happened at year 5. Very dissapointed in the 2021 quality.
Mine does it too as of late, morning and late aft. is when it don't know what to do and just goes dark. Comes back and repeats till the sun is up or it's dark outside. Dealer cant fix it. Dealer also cant fix not having interior lights, driver window bounce back and the alarm going off when my 4 pin trailer is plugged in. Very disappointed in the 21 crappy F150
Sponsored