OP
OP

axial_pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat Powerboost

YES! If not more so.

@axial_pro , try installing a new 12V battery. The one under the hood.

It seems Ford has had quite a few batteries that test OK at the dealer, but are in fact bad.
The dealer claims to have replaced the battery already. However, we learned today from another forum member, that Ford's data does not show the same information that the dealer conveyed to us.

For example, in the troubleshooting process, the dealer claims to have replaced the gateway module (GWM) and we just learned that this is a lie - it was just reprogrammed. They could have just as easily lied about replacing the battery!
Sponsored

OP
OP

axial_pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat Powerboost
I don't fully understand the scope of the issues from the post, but could be connections, ground, or software which I'm leaning towards. More details? What version update?

Frankly, this braintrust is better than 80% of the ford shops out there.

@Gros, was that rotten Groton? I was in Newport News Shipbuilding for a hot second myself.
The OP listed several examples of the types of failures we are experiencing, but here are some more specific examples:
  • my 72-year-old fell out of the truck to the ground when she instinctively reached for a running board that didn't deploy
  • in general, the running boards deploy/retract as they see fit. Sometimes stay deployed when locked, sometimes not. Sometimes deploy when unlocking, sometimes not.
  • the main infotainment screen remains black on start-up, sometimes manages to boot, and then goes black again. Process repeats ad infinitum.
  • truck does not unlock via any means despite mirrors unfolding and running boards extending
  • Pro Power Onboard sometimes will not turn on. Sometimes, it won't turn off. The user basically has NO CONTROL over how or when this feature works.
  • Wipers sometimes work, sometimes do not - regardless of stalk status
There's more, but this is a representative sample of the issues we face on the daily with no help from Ford.

KTM753

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XL
Buy a subscription to FDRS, a Mongoose cable, a battery voltage maintainer, and update all the software on your truck yourself.

Henfield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Screw 5.0,4x4,302Asport,
I notice you've done the same post over on the other F150 forum. Can't blame you, but I think the responses over there are better suited to your needs.

Borchelt

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT, Powerboost Hybrid
Occupation
Retired
Also you might try resetting the fuses both in the cabin and under the hood. I found that most of mine were very loose and not pushed in as they should have been. I can imagine that a few good bumps might dislodge some of them.

Sponsored

devern

First Name
Devern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A PowerBoost
Occupation
DevOps
I went through a saga with my electrical issue on my 2021 F-150 PowerBoost. In the end, a section of wiring harness was replaced. My issues were much different than yours and resulted in the inability to start the vehicle, and the dealer was able to reproduce the issue early on in my story... so your mileage may vary.

In my specific case, some key terms that were mentioned leading up to my dealer successfully isolating the problem:
- Pull test: they connect to the truck computer interface, watch various data points and quite literally pull on the harness in various spots to watch for modules disappearing / module parameters outside spec
- Pinpoint test: typically less applicable to intermittent faults, but if the pull tests can reliably reproduce a problem, they can measure specific points in the harness for expected voltage/resistance (would help determine if short to ground, or broken wire)

Los150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 3.5L EB Platinum w/BAP
Occupation
Info Tech
I have a new 2023 3.5 EB. I took mine to the dealer 2 weeks ago because of some weird things I noticed. TPMS, wireless charging, etc....

Short version is they had to tear apart the truck and replacing a bunch of the electrical harnesses which were causing the problems. Took about 1 week because Ford didn't have some covers they needed but according to my service advisor, the cables were damaged and with body flex, etc the system would act up. It's been solid so far since.

Sounds like something electrical and I'd ask they either look over the entire electrical system, replacing the harnesses, check for loose connections or open a case with Ford and ask them to replace it if you've been w/o a truck for 6 months worth of time.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
It’s under warranty. You should be able to stand there and show them the blank screen when they start the vehicle. Cmon

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
The dealer claims to have replaced the battery already. However, we learned today from another forum member, that Ford's data does not show the same information that the dealer conveyed to us.

For example, in the troubleshooting process, the dealer claims to have replaced the gateway module (GWM) and we just learned that this is a lie - it was just reprogrammed. They could have just as easily lied about replacing the battery!
I said this in the other forum, but CHECK THE FUSE BOX. Reseat all the fuses. 2021s had a lot of trucks with loose fuses that caused a lot of weird electrical gremlin looking issues.

Don't trust them on the new battery replacement. Get your own battery and swap it out personally. I know it's a pain in the ass, but many of us have discovered that Ford Dealers these days are not reliable.

Sponsored

OP
OP

axial_pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat Powerboost
Also you might try resetting the fuses both in the cabin and under the hood. I found that most of mine were very loose and not pushed in as they should have been. I can imagine that a few good bumps might dislodge some of them.
Just went and did this. Despite the Ford dealers having had the vehicle for months at a time, we found a ton of fuses that were not fully seated. Insane that the techs wouldn't have pursued this early on in the process. That said, I do not remain optimistic that this will resolve this issue. Seems too easy!

OP
OP

axial_pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat Powerboost
It’s under warranty. You should be able to stand there and show them the blank screen when they start the vehicle. Cmon
Intermittent issues do not always present themselves on command, unfortunately.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
The previous couple of posts of Powerboost owners who had wiring harnesse replaced AND the issue(s) resolved, speaks loudly to me.

First, that's NOT something we see posted often around here. In fact, quite rare! Yet it is literally what was required to fix the vehicles experiencing the kinds of strange behavior that is NOT rare on the forum.

So why did their trucks get appropriately diagnosed and then repaired without leaving the truck parked in a service lot for weeks/months?
I'm only guessing, but I think the difference between their trucks and the lemons, or the buybacks, is simply a qualified human being being handed the service ticket.

Those two technicians did more than read a code or "put a call into Ford".
They were logical. They did process of elimination. They have an understanding of how the truck is built and how it works. They CARED. And they must have at least felt accountable for the shirt and title they wear.

At this point, 3+ years in, there absolutely should be more Powerboost expertise in the field. Maybe in some places there is.

OP
OP

axial_pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat Powerboost
The previous couple of posts of Powerboost owners who had wiring harnesse replaced AND the issue(s) resolved, speaks loudly to me.

First, that's NOT something we see posted often around here. In fact, quite rare! Yet it is literally what was required to fix the vehicles experiencing the kinds of strange behavior that is NOT rare on the forum.

So why did their trucks get appropriately diagnosed and then repaired without leaving the truck parked in a service lot for weeks/months?
I'm only guessing, but I think the difference between their trucks and the lemons, or the buybacks, is simply a qualified human being being handed the service ticket.

Those two technicians did more than read a code or "put a call into Ford".
They were logical. They did process of elimination. They have an understanding of how the truck is built and how it works. They CARED. And they must have at least felt accountable for the shirt and title they wear.

At this point, 3+ years in, there absolutely should be more Powerboost expertise in the field. Maybe in some places there is.
The increasing complexity of modern vehicles is certainly causing some challenges at the service side of things. I fully agree that a competent and engaged tech should be able to reach a resolution on this.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
In their defense, I don't know what the process and policies are at each service center. Is it normal for your truck and its new service ticket to arrive in his/her bay, and they have the green light (autonomy) to be as thorough as it might be required to narrow things down to a wiring harness?

I suspect technicians have some kind of hierarchy and that not all have equal trust and/or leeway?
Sponsored