First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Hi new here. Thanks for reading.

Two questions.

1. Does anybody know if the front grille camera on 2021 Platinum has any type of proximity or sonar type sensor function along with the camera function. Ia m referring to the one that is housed in the ford emblem middle of the front grill. I have issues with the reverse assist system, and Ford is telling me because I installed an OEM grille on the front, and because "potentially" the camera is not in the exact same spot as it was in the original grille, they cannot calibrate the any of the proximity sensors. Makes no sense to me. None of the bumper sensors were impacted by changing the grille.

I feel like they are just trying to get out of fixing the proximity system. Certain that the reverse assist sensors weren't working when I first purchased the truck (new) but the dealership is still saying they can't calibrate anything because of the OEM grille. said differently, I don't see what they camera system has to do with the proximity systems.

The front camera functions perfect while installed in the OEM - that is the 360 camera and forward looking cameras all function perfectly so I am skeptical that the front camera is having any impact on the proximity and/or reverse assist systems.

I do note that I have to be "really" close to something before the front proximity sensors alert me - i.e about 6 inches away, and sometimes functions when I am close to something on the sides.

Also, I can drive toward an object and get really close, veering away only just in time, and the front collision alert never goes off.

So, I have switched back to the original grille, and have an appointment with the dealership again, but I want to be prepared in case they state that they still can't fix the rear assist system, and that somehow changing grills messed everything up and its my fault - which I suspect is what they will say.

#2. Along with the above. They said that they couldn't calibrate the front system, and the camera was to blame and that they thought they license plate and number were somehow messing up the image - basically they are saying that the OEM grille does not point the camera in the same position as original grill. When looking at the camera image on the screen while camera was installed in OEM grille, you can see the top fo the license plate holder and part of bumper. However, after switching back to original grille, image is definitely different (one is like a fish eye the other is not, which I don't understand) but when installed in the original grill, yo can still see license plate holder and bumper. This tells me that the camera is in essentially the same place with both grills, and is more evidence that the OEM grill has nothing to do with the rear assist, proximity and collision systems . I have attached some images of the camera images. Definitely the picture is different between the two grills so if there IS more than just imagery tecnology in the camera I can see it being a problem, but if not, then the grill shouldn't matter.

Ford F-150 2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost reverse camera and sensor issues IMG_1072

Ford F-150 2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost reverse camera and sensor issues IMG_1076

Ford F-150 2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost reverse camera and sensor issues IMG_1071

Ford F-150 2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost reverse camera and sensor issues IMG_1077
Sponsored

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
I’m not sure I entirely understand, but I’ll try my best to answer. I have a Lariat Powerboost with 360 camera and front & rear park assist. The front sensors will pop the front camera up when they go off so you can see what’s in front, but you’re correct, the front sensors are definitely programmed to only go off very close to something. Ford says 18 inches away is the first warning. The front sensors do NOT incorporate automatic braking like the rear sensors do, so no worries there.

What grille did you swap in? Did it have new camera hardware or do you move the camera from one grille to the other?

I would just take it to another dealer with the original grille in and let them figure it out