2021 F150 Lariat 3.5L shifter stuck in gear

SOAMELT

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2020 Expedition, 1962 Galaxie 500XL
new to this forum, just letting you guys know about an issue with my 2021. I have 2600 miles.

The shifter is stuck in Drive. The Manual button is blinking and the shifter will not move into any other position (Park, Reverse, Neutral). I have turned the truck on and off several times to try to remedy this issue. Roadside assistance towed it to the dealer. Awaiting a diagnosis.
Sponsored

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
Pls, pls post the results of what was found, its cause and especially how it was fix!

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PowerBoost FX4
I posted a thread in the issues section which references the Gear Selector Module (GSM). Ford has indicated there's a software issue, but that was for being stuck in park.

CaptainAmericaRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat FX4 PB
Occupation
Machine Designer - Ford Motor Co.
welp, I got hit with the GSM module issue last night lol.
Dove to pick up my Chipotle dinner and boom... the shifter wouldn't come out of DRIVE.
tried everything i could. did most of the suggestions on the forum, but to no avail.
used the Ford Pass App and the 24/7 roadside assistance... HA... what a joke! after waiting nearly 5 hours for a tow truck, i cancelled it, got a ride home and will try again today.
annoying to say the least.
it is a Lease, so hopefully i will get a loaner vehicle.
this shifter is a weak flimsy P.O.S! we can do better than this! a redesign is in order!

Jerry Can

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 KR Powerboost, 2-tone Rapid Red, 157”
Occupation
Fuel Container
Dove to pick up my Chipotle dinner and boom... the shifter wouldn't come out of DRIVE.
How do you safely park a truck that’s stuck in drive? Or does the selector just indicate that truck is in drive when it’s actually parked?

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
tried everything i could. did most of the suggestions on the forum, but to no avail.
used the Ford Pass App and the 24/7 roadside assistance... HA... what a joke! after waiting nearly 5 hours for a tow truck, i cancelled it, got a ride home and will try again today.
annoying to say the least.
it is a Lease, so hopefully i will get a loaner vehicle.
this shifter is a weak flimsy P.O.S! we can do better than this! a redesign is in order!
Hey there! I can look into your F150's gear shifter concerns on my end if you’d like. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info?

CaptainAmericaRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat FX4 PB
Occupation
How do you safely park a truck that’s stuck in drive? Or does the selector just indicate that truck is in drive when it’s actually parked?
I pulled forward into the parking spot, still in drive. I set the electronic parking break. turned the vehicle off completely, opened and closed the drivers door and restarted the truck, it shifted the transmission into park as soon as the door was opened, but the gear selector remained in the Drive position.
the gear selector release button on the front of the gear selector, is electronic.
Normally you can hear and feel a solenoid "click" on and off when you press the release button.
that audible "clicking" sound was noticebly absent! I knew right away what the issue was.

it is awesome that the computer will shift the trans into park automatically when it senses the trans is in D and the drivers door is opened.

Jerry Can

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 KR Powerboost, 2-tone Rapid Red, 157”
Occupation
Fuel Container
I pulled forward into the parking spot, still in drive. I set the electronic parking break. turned the vehicle off completely, opened and closed the drivers door and restarted the truck, it shifted the transmission into park as soon as the door was opened, but the gear selector remained in the Drive position.
the gear selector release button on the front of the gear selector, is electronic.
Normally you can hear and feel a solenoid "click" on and off when you press the release button.
that audible "clicking" sound was noticebly absent! I knew right away what the issue was.

it is awesome that the computer will shift the trans into park automatically when it senses the trans is in D and the drivers door is opened.
This is a serious safety issue, and Ford must address this problem. I‘ve been somewhat apprehensive about the flimsy feel of this console shifter, thinking it might break someday, but having the vehicle stuck in drive could result in an accident depending on where I’m trying to park (Let’s say at the edge of cliff on a mountain road). I’m even more concerned now that my truck was stuck in park yesterday, which was only resolved by turning it off and then back on.

CaptainAmericaRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat FX4 PB
Occupation
my truck did automatically put the transmission in PARK as soon as the drivers door was opened and/or the key cycled off and on.
Ford is looking into it.

CaptainAmericaRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat FX4 PB
Occupation
UPDATE:
Friday morning i got a ride from my neighbor up to Bill Brown Ford to get a loaner vehicle while mine was waiting for service.
so i sit down with a service rep to fill out the paperwork and he's looking at his screen and says "oh, its been sent to billing... would you just like to to take your truck now? i laughed and said of course! lol
they had replaced the entire gear selector and the module... BOOM, done!
The Silver Beast is back home!
Sponsored