2021 F-150 VIN DECODER (14th Gen)

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I know you posted this a while ago, but now that I finally have a VIN, I’ve been going number by number decoding mine.

Do you happen to know what the “check digit” represents?

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I know you posted this a while ago, but now that I finally have a VIN, I’ve been going number by number decoding mine.

Pretty sure I have seen barcodes on most items with VIN on it.
I think even my OLD Chev has a barcode on the dash--I know my Trailblazer does.

"Check Digit" is a character used by barcode scanners to identify a legitimate code.
Most barcodes, it is the last character of the code.
at any rate, it is needed for the scanner.

Be interesting to see if it may correspond to a wheelbase

For what it is worth----my check digit is '4' and my wheelbase is 164

brnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat

Directly from the govt docs:

(c) The third section shall consist of one character, which occupies position nine (9) in the VIN. This section shall be the check digit whose purpose is to provide a means for verifying the accu- racy of any VIN transcription. After all other characters in VIN have been de- termined by the manufacturer, the check digit shall be calculated by car- rying out the mathematical computa- tion specified in paragraphs (c) (1) through (4) of this section.​

Without getting super nerdy (OK, maybe a little), it's a checksum digit. Checksums exist everywhere--credit card numbers, bar codes, computer network protocols, cryptography, you name it. It's a way of ensuring that some piece of data data didn't get mangled (or intentionally altered) from its original form, or that data adheres to an expected format (like a VIN or CC number).

The rest of the characters in the VIN (other than the check digit) are passed to a universally known formula, whose output is a single digit. Anyone can use the formula to check whether any VIN is a "real" VIN (or at least formatted correctly). The formula isn't secret, you can see the details here (starting on page 160):

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...49-vol5/pdf/CFR-2002-title49-vol5-part565.pdf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Limited Powerboost
Here's some more info on the Check Digit...

" The check digit, found in position 9 of the VIN and compulsory for vehicles in North America, is used to validate a VIN. This is helpful for computers to immediately tell if there is an error or issue with the VIN. The check digit is calculated by removing all of the letters and substituting them with their appropriate number counterparts. You then take those numbers and multiply them against a weight factor table. You then have 16 numbers which you add together and divide by 11. The remainder is the check digit. If the remainder is 10, then the check digit is “X." "

Here is a Check Digit Calculator:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resourc...e check digit, found in,or issue with the VIN.

Sponsored

66F100Again

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'66 F100, '11 Mustang GT, '21 F150 Lariat
Fiver-0, Thanks for posting the VIN decoder.
I'm assuming the A00001-G99999 numbers run sequentially at both plants (Kansas City and Dearborn), so there's potential for 700k x 2 = 1.4Million F150 trucks. (?).
I received the VIN for my Lariat; last digits FB45562 so mine will be the 145,561 built at the (Dearborn) plant.
Hoping that means the early bugs will all be worked out by the time my truck hits the assembly line. ;)

67440dodge

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 XL on order 67 Dodge Coronet 440
Occupation
Retired
Not sure if it’s valid, but model year code for 2022’s appear to be “N”

ryant601

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ram 1500, 2022 F150 King Ranch ordered
Interestingly enough, IIRC the star white King Ranch's were supposed to be built at the KC plant. According to my VIN - my 22 is to be built at Dearborn.