First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremmaaahhh
Occupation
Pilot
Hey guys asked last night but I’ll sound stupid and ask again. What’s the difference between the tow tech package that comes on the 402a and the trailer tow package you can add for $1090? I don’t tow so I didn’t add the package but seems like most these window stickers have it. Wondering if I should’ve… thanks.
Sponsored

Antimatter Tremor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blue sticker = dealer stock
green sticker = customer order

Yep that's how it is now Use to not be like that. I ordered my '14 Raptor and it's blue. My '19 Lariat is green.

Madeinchina

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor, 2012 Mustang GT
Hey guys asked last night but I’ll sound stupid and ask again. What’s the difference between the tow tech package that comes on the 402a and the trailer tow package you can add for $1090? I don’t tow so I didn’t add the package but seems like most these window stickers have it. Wondering if I should’ve… thanks.
Hiya. I dug pretty deep into this question myself. I'm afraid the answer isnt super clear. Attached are pages 17 and 20 from the latest revision of the 2021 ford towing guide. You'll notice that on page 17 that the combination of the trailer tech package (17T) and the class 4 hitch (53B) covers all of the items in the trailer tow package (53A). Meanwhile on page 20 of the same document, it is noted that without the trailer tow package, the max trailer weight is capped at 7,000lbs.

Now adding to this is a screenshot I grabbed from the 2021 F150 Technical Specifications guide. In this document the trailer tow package is listed as having a different radiator. That said, why is this upgrade not listed in the marketing material? I have no idea. I asked around several dealerships and tried to reach out to ford directly. Ultimately I had the trailer tow package added just to hedge myself.

Sorry this isn't a clear answer. Ford made this pretty complicated.

Ford F-150 2021 F-150 Tremor Scheduled 1626737890704

Attachments

Golf17

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremmaaahhh
Occupation
Pilot
Hiya. I dug pretty deep into this question myself. I'm afraid the answer isnt super clear. Attached are pages 17 and 20 from the latest revision of the 2021 ford towing guide. You'll notice that on page 17 that the combination of the trailer tech package (17T) and the class 4 hitch (53B) covers all of the items in the trailer tow package (53A). Meanwhile on page 20 of the same document, it is noted that without the trailer tow package, the max trailer weight is capped at 7,000lbs.

Now adding to this is a screenshot I grabbed from the 2021 F150 Technical Specifications guide. In this document the trailer tow package is listed as having a different radiator. That said, why is this upgrade not listed in the marketing material? I have no idea. I asked around several dealerships and tried to reach out to ford directly. Ultimately I had the trailer tow package added just to hedge myself.

Sorry this isn't a clear answer. Ford made this pretty complicated.

1626737890704.png

Okay awesome I appreciate the detailed response. For someone who doesn’t tow, seems safe to have left it off then? I know could affect resale down the road ( if anyone’s paying attention). But hopefully I’ll have this truck for awhile anyways ( kidding myself here).

BA73

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremor
Occupation
Construction
Im just going to leave this here...

Last edited:

Sponsored

Antimatter Tremor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Big debate on this. Not very clear info. Some say don't need Trailer Tow Package with 402A , some say yes.

Ford F-150 2021 F-150 Tremor Scheduled 1626736471879

Clearly they are 2 different packages, otherwise they wouldn't be individually itemized. Yes I know that isn't the 402a not t they are still 2 separate packeages.

Antimatter Tremor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Im just going to leave this here...
View attachment 21491
Makes sense, I guess.

A few things I have noticed about these dealer stock units I've looked at. Very few 402a. Mostly 401a and 400a.

Most were ordered 6/23 and Vin 6/24. Build dates ranging from 7/19-7/27

Haven't seen one with Torsen Diff option. Production on those axles just started last week. Numbers go up significantly each week, starting today

So hopefully we will start seeing some Vin#s and build dates soon.

Golf17

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremmaaahhh
Occupation
Pilot
Big debate on this. Not very clear info. Some say don't need Trailer Tow Package with 402A , some say yes.

1626736471879.png

Clearly they are 2 different packages, otherwise they wouldn't be individually itemized. Yes I know that isn't the 402a not t they are still 2 separate packeages.

Even when I went to my dealer they couldn’t explain the difference. Why make
It so complicated?! Again I don’t tow and any boat is probably 5 years out until our kids get a little older so not that concerned.. thanks for the info though!!

Madeinchina

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor, 2012 Mustang GT
Okay awesome I appreciate the detailed response. For someone who doesn’t tow, seems safe to have left it off then? I know could affect resale down the road ( if anyone’s paying attention). But hopefully I’ll have this truck for awhile anyways ( kidding myself here).
Honestly I feel like years down the road when you trade out of this truck, no one will be scrutinizing the tech manual for differences and the only info left regarding the tow rating would be the features on the marketing material where there won't be any listed difference between 53b + 17t vs 53a.

Sponsored

Golf17

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremmaaahhh
Occupation
Pilot
Honestly I feel like years down the road when you trade out of this truck, no one will be scrutinizing the tech manual for differences and the only info left regarding the tow rating would be the features on the marketing material where there won't be any listed difference between 53b + 17t vs 53a.

Yea I agree with you there! Feel better about having left it off with your responses. Thanks for the info!

Antimatter Tremor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yea I agree with you there! Feel better about having left it off with your responses. Thanks for the info!

For resale value it may be a good idea to add it. It's only $1,090

I tow, so I opted for it.

Ford F-150 2021 F-150 Tremor Scheduled 65391
Ford F-150 2021 F-150 Tremor Scheduled 110832

Golf17

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremmaaahhh
Occupation
Pilot
For resale value it may be a good idea to add it. It's only $1,090

I tow, so I opted for it.

65391.jpeg
110832.jpeg
Any chance adding something before the vin is assigned messes up the order and delays it?