First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
In no way shape or form can you make a better truck for cheaper via the aftermarket and at the same time, make it reliable and have a warranty.

You can only make a different truck.

With that being said, good luck with your build.
Changing your wheels, tires, shocks, and bumper components doesn’t not void your warranty. I already looked up the prices, so yeah, I can. ?
Sponsored

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Don’t you think you’re jumping the gun or getting ahead of yourself by saying that about the PowerStroke compared to the other F150 engines?

I mean, it’s only been available in the F150 for 2 year. Also, in no way shape or form is it related to the PowerStroke diesels in the SD lineup.
Based on track record so far, it’s shaping up to be incredibly reliable and free of any major problems, unlike the eco boost and coyote have had. The biggest recall it’s had is EGR bolts ? It’s not the most powerful but it’s the most likely to get to 250k miles without issue. Check out the other forums with owners already surpassing 125k miles without issue. I didn’t say it was related to the SD powerstroke. Don’t get ahead of yourself ? it was however worked on by the same team, so I trust it’ll be just as good.

2017 Silver Lobo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 XLT and 1988 Mustang GT
Occupation
Machinist
It’s a mistake because I can build a better truck for the same money and actually get features on the higher end trims included. The FX4 already has the rock crawl mode, and the other two new add on ones for modes aren’t worth being locked into a lariat interior and eco boost engine. So yeah, they made a mistake by not making this a package to add on to a trim you want, but instead made it a trim. Fox coil over shocks/ leveling kit is better than the tuned Ford shocks anyway and provide better clearance too. The front LSD is basically the only thing you can’t put on a platinum yourself.
Why is the Torsen locker the only thing you can't put on a Platinum? It's a mechanical style locker, should be able to put that in any F150. It's the electronic aids that you would have a difficult or impossible time with like Trail Turn Assist (which sounds amazing for this and Bronco), One Pedal Trail Mode, and Trail Control.

He said settle for a Lariat interior like it's a peasant truck. I strive to even afford that trim level. I don't see the reason for such posh interiors for a trail rig anyways, but to each there own. If I need my ass massaged I'll find a washboard section of trail. LOL

However I do see your point of offering it as a package so you could purchase the trim you desire.

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Why is the Torsen locker the only thing you can't put on a Platinum? It's a mechanical style locker, should be able to put that in any F150. It's the electronic aids that you would have a difficult or impossible time with like Trail Turn Assist (which sounds amazing for this and Bronco), One Pedal Trail Mode, and Trail Control.

He said settle for a Lariat interior like it's a peasant truck. I strive to even afford that trim level. I don't see the reason for such posh interiors for a trail rig anyways, but to each there own. If I need my ass massaged I'll find a washboard section of trail. LOL

However I do see your point of offering it as a package so you could purchase the trim you desire.
The electronic stuff would be hard to add. Not sure if it can be at all through something like FORSCAN.

LOL I didn’t mean to sound snobbish or anything. I ain’t like that. I just really like the platinum interior compared to the lariat, and don’t want the eco boost, so getting a platinum powerstroke one and making my own changes is the way to do. And with the aftermarket stuff you can get, you can surpass much of what the tremor has is all I’m saying.
The superduty offers it as a package and it’s sick! You get the best of both worlds. Idk why they would do the same for their best selling truck.

2017 Silver Lobo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Machinist
Based on track record so far, it’s shaping up to be incredibly reliable and free of any major problems, unlike the eco boost and coyote have had. The biggest recall it’s had is EGR bolts ? It’s not the most powerful but it’s the most likely to get to 250k miles without issue. Check out the other forums with owners already surpassing 125k miles without issue. I didn’t say it was related to the SD powerstroke. Don’t get ahead of yourself ? it was however worked on by the same team, so I trust it’ll be just as good.
The Ecoboost is more proven and on it second iteration, if you put a catch can on it you should be good (which Ford should be doing on all forced induction). I hate to say it, but the Power stroke is rated the lowest out of the big three in fuel economy with GM leading (surprisingly I guess they finally copied something right). Do yourself a favor and don't mod that engine at all as no garage will touch it because of the strict emissions on diesels. See you in my rear view as my 3.5l EB rips past you.

Last edited:

Sponsored

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
PowerStroke in name only but the engine is from England.

Less than two years is not a track record but keep hope alive. ?

So you’re admitting that even though it’s in its second year in the F150, it has had a problem.

Thanks for insight.

2017 Silver Lobo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Machinist
The electronic stuff would be hard to add. Not sure if it can be at all through something like FORSCAN.

LOL I didn’t mean to sound snobbish or anything. I ain’t like that. I just really like the platinum interior compared to the lariat, and don’t want the eco boost, so getting a platinum powerstroke one and making my own changes is the way to do. And with the aftermarket stuff you can get, you can surpass much of what the tremor has is all I’m saying.
The superduty offers it as a package and it’s sick! You get the best of both worlds. Idk why they would do the same for their best selling truck.
Now I agree with you about the Super Duty Tremor being a package and pretty sick at that, but realistically this is the setup you could most likely duplicate with aftermarket goodies if not one up.

I don't think FORSCAN will be able to pull that off, but I could be wrong. Time will tell.

Where as this F-150 is stand alone and badass. Besides not being offered with a 6.5' BED. It completely fits my idea of a dream truck that seems like I can afford it. We'll see when pricing comes out.

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
Changing your wheels, tires, shocks, and bumper components doesn’t not void your warranty. I already looked up the prices, so yeah, I can. ?
Now you’re cherry-picking because that’s not all you said.

? Your money your truck so if you think you can build a vehicle that’ll match or exceed the Tremor for cheaper and not void the factory warranty, go for it hoss.

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
The Ecoboost is more proven and on it second iteration, if you put a catch can on it you should be good (which Ford should be doing on all forced induction). I hate to say it, but the Power stroke is rated the lowest out of the big three in fuel economy with GM leading (surprisingly I guess they finally copied something right). Do yourself a favor and don't mod that engine at all as no garage will touch it because of the strict emissions on diesels. See you in my rear view as my 3.5l EB rips past you.
the fact that you need to add a catch can out of the gate says it all LOL. Cam issues, timing chain problems, carbon buildup, condensation buildup, misfiring, recalls and lawsuits all plague the eco boost. I’m glad they did the revisions on it but the engine got revised in 18’, so it still needs to prove itself as reliable and free of *major* issues. The lawsuits over failures and fuel economy isn’t making a case for it either. The 3.0 powerstroke doesn’t need mods and isn’t made for racing lol. I’m talking about longevity and your response is “mine is faster?” ? I ain’t in a rush buddy. Enjoy the fake engine sounds coming from the speakers tho lol, don’t need that with the 3.0 ?

Last edited:

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
PowerStroke in name only but the engine is from England.

Less than two years is not a track record but keep hope alive. ?

So you’re admitting that even though it’s in its second year in the F150, it has had a problem.

Thanks for insight.
As you pointed out, the engine is from Europe. So yeah. Been around a while. And like I said before, same guys who built the 6.7 worked on the 3.0. So idk where you getting “in name only” from. And 2 bolts in the EGR is not an engine issue, but an emissions component one. No major issues with the engine as it approaches year 4 now. Can’t find any lawsuits on it either, unlike the eco boost ? try actually owning both (or at least trying) so you actually know what both have to offer. You’ll be hard pressed to find someone who went from the eco boost to the 3.0 on the forums and regretted it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

2017 Silver Lobo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Machinist
the fact that you need to add a catch can out of the gate says it all LOL. Cam issues, timing chain problems, carbon buildup, misfiring, recalls and lawsuits all plague the eco boost. The 3.0 powerstroke doesn’t need mods and isn’t made for racing lol. I’m talking about longevity and your response is “mine is faster?”. Okay ? Enjoy the fake engine sounds coming from the speakers tho.
No fake engine noises in an XLT just raw power. However that speaker making engine noises in sport mode is ridiculous. Most of the issues you're referring to plagued Gen 1 engines mine is Gen 2 most of the bugs are worked out. Also it can tow and haul more than the Power Stroke, hell I think it out does the 6.2 in the SDs as well.

Last edited:

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
No fake engine noises in an XLT just raw power. Most of the issues you're referring to plagued Gen 1 engines mine is Gen 2 most of the bugs are worked out.
You may want to do some research on that. There are countless forum threads dedicated to the fake V8 engine noises that come from the speakers on eco boost F150s and how to disable it via software. And Gen 2’s are still having some issues man, you can find that one the forums too. Also, if you check places like IG and YouTube, the biggest complain about the F150 tremor is being forced into the eco boost. Most people don’t want it and prefer the V8. That’s why I originally said, making this a trim and not a package was a mistake. Mixing and matching what you want is king.

2017 Silver Lobo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Machinist
You may want to do some research on that. There are countless forum threads dedicated to the fake V8 engine noises that come from the speakers on eco boost F150s and how to disable it via software. And Gen 2’s are still having some issues man, you can find that one the forums too. Also, if you check places like IG and YouTube, the biggest complain about the F150 tremor is being forced into the eco boost. Most people don’t want it and prefer the V8. That’s why I originally said, making this a trim and not a package was a mistake. Mixing and matching what you want is king.
I think I'd know if my truck made ridiculous engine noises through a speaker. That's on higher trim levels than an XLT. I know it's on a Lariat Sport.

If you don't like the EB then don't buy this Tremor. I shall provided it's affordable and doesn't have a stupid speaker to make me think it's a V8.

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I think I'd know if my truck made ridiculous engine noises through a speaker. That's on higher trim levels than an XLT. I know it's on a Lariat Sport.

If you don't like the EB then don't buy this Tremor. I shall provided it's affordable and doesn't have a stupid speaker to make me think it's a V8.
it’s subtle, so it’s very likely many wouldn’t notice the fake engine noises. But they are there. I won’t buy the tremor obviously lol