First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Explorer, 2008 Sea Ray
Occupation
Retired
More bad news for those waiting, Hopefully it will clear up soon.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/04/for...roduction-due-to-semiconductor-shortage-.html

Ford forced to cut profitable F-150 pickup truck production due to semiconductor chip shortage
PUBLISHED THU, FEB 4
  • Ford is cutting production at plants in Michigan and Missouri that produce its profitable F-150 pickup trucks due to a global semiconductor chip shortage.
  • The shortage began impacting the global automotive industry late last year.
  • Semiconductors are extremely important components of new vehicles, for areas ranging from infotainment systems to more traditional parts such as power steering.
DETROIT — Ford Motor is significantly cutting production of its highly profitable F-150 pickup trucks due to an ongoing semiconductor chip shortage plaguing the global automotive industry.

The automaker said Thursday that its Dearborn Truck Plant in Michigan will drop to one shift from three for a week beginning Monday, while truck production at its Kansas City Assembly Plant in Missouri will drop to two shifts from three. Ford spokeswoman Kelli Felker said both plants are expected to return to three shifts the week of Feb. 15.

“We are working closely with suppliers to address potential production constraints tied to the global semiconductor shortage and working to prioritize key vehicle lines for production, making the most of our semiconductor allocation,” she said in an emailed statement.

Shares of Ford appeared to be unaffected by the cuts, trading up by about 3% during intraday trading late Thursday morning. The automaker is scheduled to report its fourth-quarter earnings and give guidance for 2021 after the market closes Thursday.

Automakers and parts suppliers began warning of a semiconductor shortage late last year after demand for vehicles rebounded stronger than expected following a two-month shutdown of production plants due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Semiconductors are extremely important components of new vehicles for areas ranging from infotainment systems to more traditional parts such as power steering. They’re also used in consumer electronics.

Ford’s confirmed plans come a day after General Motors said it would take down production next week at four assembly plants in Fairfax, Kansas; Ingersoll, Ontario, and San Luis Potosi, Mexico. GM will also run a plant in South Korea at half capacity that week.

Ford and other automakers — from Nissan Motor to Volkswagen — have previously cut vehicle production due to the chip shortage.

Kumar Galhotra, Ford president of the Americas and international markets, described the chip shortage earlier this week as a “very dynamic situation.” He said the company has been working with its suppliers to mitigate impact to its plants and resolve the issue as quickly as possible.

“It’s changing all the time, but we think we will be dealing with it for at least the first half of this year,” he told CNBC.
Sponsored

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
I have some chips to sell to the highest bidder..

Yeah that sucks. I recall in I think 2019 or maybe the year before that there was a part that Ford ran out of and couldn’t build any more F-150s for a while. Dealer stock began to dwindle. I think it was a radiator support?

tcp

First Name
Trieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum, 2019 Accord
Occupation
IT MGR
So why can’t these chips be manufactured here?
This is the result of relying on other countries for our goods
Results of a global economy + COVID. Read somewhere 2020 when it all started orders for chips and related components dropped due to shut downs of factories or companies buying them.

You can't really ramp up production overnight or weeks to meet current demands, these things take time. Also US based manufacturing of complicated components is not on par with factories overseas. Look at Intel.... who's been in the game of chip making forever and they can't keep up with newer chip designs or quality control....

Can't always blame on relying on other countries, its not Ford, Apple,, GM loves other countries more than the US making parts or goods overseas because they hate their country.... its all about the $$$ end of the day.

Toyota and other overseas companies have manufacturing plants over here due to US regulations and import fees making it cheaper to do business here instead of importing...

OP
OP
mdmeints

mdmeints

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Explorer, 2008 Sea Ray
Occupation
Retired
The sad issue is this shortage will affect more than our vehicles. It will also cause shortages for phones, computers, just about everything as chips are now a vital part of most things manufactured.

Sponsored

Orlando150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
So why can’t these chips be manufactured here?
This is the result of relying on other countries for our goods
No this is entirely the car company’s fault. They cut chip orders last year so the chip manufacturers went out and found different customers to fill the gap (mostly personal electronics as demand went up during quarantine).

Now that Ford and others want the orders they cancelled they were surprised to find out that they can't get them back.

The same thing would have happened if the chip factories were in China, France, the US, or the moon.

brnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat
Results of a global economy + COVID. Read somewhere 2020 when it all started orders for chips and related components dropped due to shut downs of factories or companies buying them.

You can't really ramp up production overnight or weeks to meet current demands, these things take time. Also US based manufacturing of complicated components is not on par with factories overseas. Look at Intel.... who's been in the game of chip making forever and they can't keep up with newer chip designs or quality control....

Can't always blame on relying on other countries, its not Ford, Apple,, GM loves other countries more than the US making parts or goods overseas because they hate their country.... its all about the $$$ end of the day.

Toyota and other overseas companies have manufacturing plants over here due to US regulations and import fees making it cheaper to do business here instead of importing...
^^ This. The short version is that both global economics and modern supply chains are very complicated and affected by thousands of factors. This makes then very hard to predict/control. There is no simple fix and the "problem" isn't personal (one country screwing another).

Bama18

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 XLT SPORT, 14 F150 XL, 63 Galaxie 500 XL
Occupation
Retired
I have some chips to sell to the highest bidder..

Yeah that sucks. I recall in I think 2019 or maybe the year before that there was a part that Ford ran out of and couldn’t build any more F-150s for a while. Dealer stock began to dwindle. I think it was a radiator support?

Bama18

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 XLT SPORT, 14 F150 XL, 63 Galaxie 500 XL
Occupation
Retired
In 2018 the factory that made the radiator support for the 2018 F150 was almost destroyed by a fire. Production was held up for 3-4 months. A friend of mine had ordered a 2018 F150 in January 2018, did not receive it until July 2018.

Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Saw this earlier, however, the source I read it from seemed like an illiterate toddler wrote it so I hoped it was false.....

ddfarmer

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350
The sad issue is this shortage will affect more than our vehicles. It will also cause shortages for phones, computers, just about everything as chips are now a vital part of most things manufactured.
Looks like I may have to live in my truck! ;)

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I ordered in sept and my build date was pushed to now in march....
Really starting to suck...
Welcome, friend. Mine was supposed to be built this week, but inexplicably got pushed to 3/3. Doubt it’ll even be built on that date now....

jfdube999

First Name
Jean-Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum 4x4 FX4, 2020 Edge Titanium, 2019 Escape Ti, 2019 Mustang GT PP2
Sucks.. For those who already have a Feb build date, and have gotten their VINs, does this mean the parts/chips/etc. have already been set aside, or...?

Caneman88

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost F150 Platinum ,MB GLC 300
Occupation
Pella Windows and Doors
I'm happy my chip is on the train heading to Texas :p
Sponsored