JakeSM

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150 XLT
Hey all,

I’m having a issue with OTA updates. My ford pass says 2.7.3 is waiting to update, and my truck is saying “up to date”. It’s had a time scheduled for the update since November and the update has not gone through. I recently had my battery replaced due to voltage codes. I know the truck failed on the update cause the battery issue, and that is resolved now.

The update is now queue’d and will not push through. I’m guessing I have to wait till ford pushes 2.7.3 through again? What’s my solution other than the dealer? If anyone can run my VIN to see what updates I have through the systems in my truck, or see why it’s queue’d? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.
Sponsored

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A SuperCab 3.5EB, Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Your OTA issues are not uncommon. It has affected hundreds of 2021 owners including myself. I had to buy a Mongoose and update the truck myself as did many other people. If you are going to wait on OTA's, then there is nothing you can do but wait and hope that when you do get an update, it goes through. If you want to go through a dealer, good luck because Ford does not pay them for module updates.

If you want your truck updated right and quickly, read the first post of the thread below and decide if this is something you want to tackle yourself. There are plenty of people on that thread that are willing to help.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/ecu-module-programming-guide-using-fdrs.8249/

Sponsored

OP
OP

JakeSM

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150 XLT
Your OTA issues are not uncommon. It has affected hundreds of 2021 owners including myself. I had to buy a Mongoose and update the truck myself as did many other people. If you are going to wait on OTA's, then there is nothing you can do but wait and hope that when you do get an update, it goes through. If you want to go through a dealer, good luck because Ford does not pay them for module updates.

If you want your truck updated right and quickly, read the first post of the thread below and decide if this is something you want to tackle yourself. There are plenty of people on that thread that are willing to help.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/ecu-module-programming-guide-using-fdrs.8249/
So they won’t even update anything under a number to bumper warranty?

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
I’m sorry a bumper to bumper*
No. Unless your truck has bluecruise updates pending and the recall to program it is registered to your VIN. Even then, Ford asked all dealers to stop performing the bluecruise updates since January 4th due to an issue the IPC wasn't updating properly, so right now, they won't do that, either.

OP
OP

JakeSM

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150 XLT
No. Unless your truck has bluecruise updates pending and the recall to program it is registered to your VIN. Even then, Ford asked all dealers to stop performing the bluecruise updates since January 4th due to an issue the IPC wasn't updating properly, so right now, they won't do that, either.
That’s insane. Literally gives me another reason to never buy a ford again. I love m’y truck, but my goodness they need to get their stuff together. I’ll probably buy a mongoose in the future and just update everything myself.
Thank you for all your help it really clarified everything for me.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
That’s insane. Literally gives me another reason to never buy a ford again. I love m’y truck, but my goodness they need to get their stuff together. I’ll probably buy a mongoose in the future and just update everything myself.
Thank you for all your help it really clarified everything for me.
The really dropped the ball with their OTA process. You can always add yourself to the list on my community Mongoose thread if you don't want to spend the money. Once you get all the older updates installed, the rest are easier to get.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/community-mongoose-thread.13145/

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
My advice is to breath and try to absorb the WEALTH of information here for addressing your truck and the various things YOU can do.

It's easy to throw rocks at Ford (and GM and Ram and....) and swear off ever buying another.......

But the real challenge is to find a way to enjoy the truck. Afterall, you're paying/paid for it. And they are AMAZING trucks. Worthy, in my opinion, of the efforts to get everything out of them that they have to offer. :)

OP
OP

JakeSM

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150 XLT

Pelican

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat (502A) Supercrew 3.5L EcoBoost
Occupation
Financial Management
So they won’t even update anything under a number to bumper warranty?
At my local dealer today and no, they will not update software under any warranty unless Ford screws up your truck with an update they push out. Today, I just paid my local dealer $100 for them to update my truck. I didn't entertain doing it myself because I didn't want to screw anything up and I would think if the dealer had they would take care of me. Lastly, I was told that when I get home to enter my home wifi information because some OTA's will only go through with such a connection because OTA's would take so long to process over the Ford cellular connection it could kill the battery. Best of luck.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Nobody has ever been able to capture any evidence that an F150 can even receive an update over Wi-Fi.

Ever.

And that's with some really capable network engineers logging every packet that the truck uses it's WiFi connection for.

Still, I don't blame your dealership for believing what they told you. That's on Ford, the manufacturer, for their very misleading documentation regarding the subject.

Lite4d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 2020 Explorer ST
I still don’t understand why updates have to be a “Push” vice ”Pull”. You would think that they could update the software to do that and fix a lot of the issues with waiting could be fixed. The truck could pull when in optimum configuration And pull it from the servers. If phones could do it, why can‘t Ford figure that out? Hmmmmmmm…….
Sponsored