• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Just more evidence that we should mostly ignore what the pre-production truck's Guess-O-Meter says.

If it was towing and it said 200 miles at 100%, then I'd say that's great news because it's within some realm of possibility.

There's no way that in any normal-ish real life scenario that the Lightning is going to get 329 miles while towing.

So, Indicating 329 miles at 100% while towing means one of two things: The range estimate is basically meaningless in this pre-production truck. OR it's a completely unrealistic scenario, like driving a tiny trailer around a parking lot for an entire battery charge.
I'll go a step further... upon further review(examination) the photo they used is a canned photo from FoMo Co. You can find the photo on Ford's website. So either the inside EV guys pulled a fast one, or they were given the photo by ford for their use. (Either way they seemed to give the impression it was their photo).

So its use is sketchy at best. What I will say(with some background during my college years in Public Relations) is released photos matter. They are done with a purpose to sell a product, but also to keep things somewhat realistic. I know they have a disclaimer somewhere.. but they also don't want to be hassled with a lawsuit. so there is a grain of salt there and I'm sure some project manager looked it over(and over) and gave it the OK to be released.

All that said, I do agree with you it does not reflect realistic towing range. They probably snapped a few photos of the display while in a parking lot..at 25mph.

However..do I think it possible to get 329mi or more given that they could STILL get(or at least fool the truck into thinking its in tow mode) ..yes I do, I don't think they pulled those numbers from thin air, nor do I think its a 100% photoshop job.

I believe the truth is somewhere in the middle-- 300mi is a realistic number with a light load(or a light uhaul or utility trailer on city streets)...Unloaded it will probably be 329mi or higher. I do not believe quite 460mi....but I could imagine passenger only(no load) in the mid 300s. That seems reasonable to me based upon everything we've heard.

Sorry to thro everyone for a loop and its anyone's guess right now..but I'm not taking any of this seriously until there are real world tests.

I am gonna push back slightly that we should ignore the "guess o meter"....I just think we have to keep in context.

Nathan
Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Ford is now not confirming the "1000lb load" on the EPA test...but in the past Darren Palmer has been quoted saying this information to at least two independent sources. This is again another "test truck" showing 400+ miles. This is backed up in pictures--this time a REAL picture, not a fake media pic. It seems reasonable the range will easily be more than 300mi in many scenarios.

Also to note Ford has a laudable goal of the range estimate being super accurate within +/- 5%.

Pic Of Ford F-150 Lightning Display Shows Incredible Range Estimate (insideevs.com)

"Ford won't comment officially on whether or not they are including a 1,000lb payload in its estimated range calculation, as Brownlee claims. When I asked them about the picture I took showing a 472-mile range, they responded "This is a prototype vehicle and we still are targeting an EPA-estimated 300 miles".

But here is where it gets interesting. Brownlee was in a different pre-production F-150 lightning than I was. He said his F-150 Lightning was charged to 80% and the vehicle was showing 367 miles of range. Brownlee said the charge gauge looked like the vehicle was "about 80%" charged, so he estimated the range when fully-charged to be about 360 miles.

Looking at his video, the SOC appears to be slightly less than 80%, more like 77% to 78%. My F-150 Lightning was fully charged and showing 472 miles. If you calculate 78% of 472 you get 368, so I'd say both Brownlee's truck and mine would have the same range estimate when fully charged."

(Note: Second paragraph of quote appears to have a typo-- should read 460mi instead of 360.)

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Ford is now not confirming the "1000lb load" on the EPA test...but in the past Darren Palmer has been quoted saying this information to at least two independent sources. This is again another "test truck" showing 400+ miles. This is backed up in pictures--this time a REAL picture, not a fake media pic. It seems reasonable the range will easily be more than 300mi in many scenarios.

Also to note Ford has a laudable goal of the range estimate being super accurate within +/- 5%.

Pic Of Ford F-150 Lightning Display Shows Incredible Range Estimate (insideevs.com)

"Ford won't comment officially on whether or not they are including a 1,000lb payload in its estimated range calculation, as Brownlee claims. When I asked them about the picture I took showing a 472-mile range, they responded "This is a prototype vehicle and we still are targeting an EPA-estimated 300 miles".

But here is where it gets interesting. Brownlee was in a different pre-production F-150 lightning than I was. He said his F-150 Lightning was charged to 80% and the vehicle was showing 367 miles of range. Brownlee said the charge gauge looked like the vehicle was "about 80%" charged, so he estimated the range when fully-charged to be about 360 miles.

Looking at his video, the SOC appears to be slightly less than 80%, more like 77% to 78%. My F-150 Lightning was fully charged and showing 472 miles. If you calculate 78% of 472 you get 368, so I'd say both Brownlee's truck and mine would have the same range estimate when fully charged."

(Note: Second paragraph of quote appears to have a typo-- should read 460mi instead of 360.)
Take the following with a huge grain of salt, but a little birdie told me the dealers are being told 350 mile range for extended, 160 miles while towing 10k lbs.

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
Take the following with a huge grain of salt, but a little birdie told me the dealers are being told 350 mile range for extended, 160 miles while towing 10k lbs.
Everything posted on the internet should be taken with a grain of salt.

Until, it is posted for the third time. Then ... It becomes law!

Rocky Wabbit

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 F150's
Occupation
retired
It will be interesting to see that actual mileage average at interstates speeds, 3_7 mph over the speed limit into that strong northwesterly winds with around 500 lbs. in the Cab & 300 lbs. of cargo is. U know your basic weekend out of the Homie area ! So you have to do a mental attitude adjustment, like going down hill and letting it regen charge by easing way up on the pedal and the same at exits, let it slow down gradually, regen, absolutely no braking ! Well: Thas just my HONEST OPINION, belief !

So; how about just commuting 100 to 175 miles a day and enjoy the Lightening. Now that makes
sense to me ! Maybe most all of us can afford the cost of a 3/4 recharge every night. Most likely near $175 a month higher electric bill !

/this seems to be a fact of purchase !
All Ford F-150 Lightning trucks come with a mobile charging unit equipped with a choice of cords that can plug into either a 240-volt NEMA 14-50 outlet (for 13 miles per charging hour) Ford claims 19 and that may be true near there with a like new battery or a conventional 120-volt outlet (for 3-5 miles per charging hour).

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rocky Wabbit

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 F150's
Occupation
retired
Last edited:

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Towing range will still greatly depend on what exactly you are towing. A 32 foot camper trailer has a lot more drag then a load of cement blocks. Both weighing the same, you will get less range towing the larger, less aerodynamic object. This is where the trailer information will be important in the range calculation. The computer will 'know' what trailer you are towing because you will input in the size and weight. Then when you select that trailer in the system it will use that information to influence the projected range calculation. I have a feeling a lot of people are going to guesstimate on their trailer specs and be frustrated when the range calculation is inaccurate.

Rocky Wabbit

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 F150's
Occupation
retired
Knowing your homes absolute tops in KWH per hour daily average are imperative when thinking a 2nd stage charger which is what the EV has to have to be usefull on an every day + weekend extended range needs ownership. Most likely Solar help or a 2nd meter install with power is gonna have to happen. It gets expensive is my thoughts.

Rocky Wabbit

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 F150's
Occupation
retired
I just read this ! This may help those who ask KWH costs cause MPG is obsolete with EV Cars.

Ford plans to build battery cells for future electric vehicles (greencarreports.com)

In the meantime, Thai-Tang said that Ford is working with “the best suppliers from Japan, Korea, China, all around the world.” That includes SK Innovation, which will supply cells for the upcoming F-150 Electric from a plant in Georgia.

Ford F-150 Lightning 2021 F-150 Lightning With Extended Battery May Get ~460 Miles Range, Unloaded! -battery-factories-in-commerce-georgia_100762191_h

and that artists pic ! think visualize all those trees being an EV battery plant of different mixes ?

This may help answer those who wish for cost per KWH instead of miles per gallon of gasoline because MPG'
Is most likely a Technology Mummy-fication obsolete statistic.

Industry analysts have held up $100 per kilowatt-hour battery costs as the point where electric cars will achieve cost parity with internal combustion, but now the target has shifted to an even more ambitious $60 per kwh, according to a blog post by The Mobilist.

Tesla and Volkswagen have already discussed driving battery prices down to around $60 per kwh on the cell level, but that is now also viewed as a viable target by the Department of Energy, the post said. That's based on an interview with Dave Howell, who runs the Energy Department's Office of Vehicle Technologies, which funds battery research.

If costs can be driven down that far, the total cost of ownership for an EV would average 26 cents per mile, compared to 27 cents per mile for an internal-combustion car, Howell said in the interview.

Just a few years ago, even reaching $100 per kwh seemed impossible. That goal is now generally considered to be in reach, but Howell said he was surprised how quickly the industry has gotten there.

Ford F-150 Lightning 2021 F-150 Lightning With Extended Battery May Get ~460 Miles Range, Unloaded! mercedes-benz-battery-production_100748548_h
Mercedes-Benz battery production Thas a vanilla picture of Robotics for publication, missing parts and not running but most likely a Semi conductor connection area. Most likely Battery production area is a Trade Secrete !

The research firm Wood Mackenzie has predicted we'll reach the $100 per kwh price on a pack basis in 2024. That's based on the cost of an entire battery pack, rather than per-cell cost, as discussed in the blog post.

According to Bloomberg New Energy Finance, battery prices fell to an average $137 per kwh in 2020—with prices already below $100 per kwh on a pack basis in some instances.

Granted, these analyses indicate battery costs aren't falling as rapidly as they were earlier last decade, but the turn rate should still put parity with internal combustion in sight.

Perhaps the lower price-per-kwh target will help reconcile the idea that higher costs in other manufacturing areas will keep EVs from quite reaching parity until late in the decade.
Kia Seltos overview
This might also fit in another thread about EV charger Costs ? This is mostly Robotics hands on. I got a bit of experience with Robotics. It comes down to # of stations easily acceptable to Maintenance ! Added room = adaptabilities + future changes= success ! Each Robotic needs to sit on its own very secure Cement block. So XYZ Axis is always very much there !

Edit Quote Multi Quote Quick Reply

Rocky Wabbit

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 F150's
Occupation
retired
Have a picture of a Lightening sitting in its drive with over 20' power cord plugged into it.

Sponsored

Rocky Wabbit

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 F150's
Occupation
retired
This seems to make complete and accurate sense ! It also streatches the time frame out to 7 years, 100,000 miles of driving and the battery availability dropping to 70% as garanteed over those years. Many homes use an average of 50-60 KWH per day and that reduces to 20% or around 15 KWH per day with just Refrigerators/Freezers as most homes have more than one & running for whole house power from the Lightening.. a reasonable assumption is you need a portable generator to recharge the Lightening if the power remains out for over a week. Think the 70% battery charge thing is most likely the most important thing about it all since most all will be running around at 70% battery charge ? That make common sense !

https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_163051380205211&key=d6a769dd7a35593518c5c56785914b9d&libId=kt1pt8s601000azm000DLl0gt3kvb&loc=https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1667323-here-comes-another-one-2024-a-2.html&ccpaConsent=1---&v=1&opt=true&out=https://insideevs.com/news/508674/battery-capacity-ford-f150-lightning/&ref=https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum311/&title=Here comes another one! 2024 - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums&txt=What Is The Battery Capacity Of Ford F-150 Lightning? (insideevs.com)

Last edited:

Rocky Wabbit

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 F150's
Occupation
retired
4/500 mile range cannot happen with a 1800 lb battery this year.

Rocky Wabbit

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 F150's
Occupation
retired
Battery weight 1800 lbs. Depleted battery Charge time to full charge with the 50 amp charger is about 2 days. Average over night charge range is about 200 miles. There is no golden Calf here. You most likely will be doing a lot of expensive fast charge 80% time. It all comes down to how many miles / gallons of gasoline you got to buy over $4 a gallon. it becomes a saver here to have the EV.
A 2.7 XLT F150 + 21 mpg and average $48,000
The Lightening = $65,000 and whatever your Electric bill is + fast charger prices. $17,000 in gas before you break even with the lightening. The EV, Its a Cash Cow of Want not cost savings. Will it help the environment, absolutely not. Will a million of them help the environment, absolutely not. Will a Billion of them help the environment, maybe a little but way too late ! Tell the Chinese to stuff the exhaust stacks and get a nuke in yours !

Last edited:

Rocky Wabbit

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 F150's
Occupation
retired
Following what I have read so far. You seldom sit around and fully charge up the battery, and it will last longer if you don't. So; following a 95% charge and thinking 95% of full range say 400 ya start out at 380 miles of range then think warning coming on at 30 % and ya are sitting at a fast charger a lil below 20 % of charge left say 2 hours from the destination. Then basically 300 miles is a usefull thing to know as a safe range estimate for lifetime use, but where things get dicy is when vehicle is nearing 7 years old and the battery is maybe 70% what it was. following the same principle then, 260 is a reasonable expectation but if you still keep the 30 -20 recharge plan then ya got a real world range of 208 miles in the 7 year old guy, give or take a bunch of traffic jambs, wrecks, road closures and detour routes. At this point a new battery falls in the mix. and thas a mighty expensive Year in college. Maybe at this point there are remanufactured batteries, you know the juices changed to a 95% range thing again ! Going back to the beginning of storage batteries there have been Battery repair companies that replaced bad cells in the old Lead Acids ! Yep it only took one bad cell to mess up the capacities of those guys. How many cells are in those tubes of Lithium's 1000 ?

I get it simply from the manufactures Press notes release ~!
Sponsored

Last edited: