• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler Rubicon and 2018 Mini Cooper S Count
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
That is indicated, not tested - no one has tested it yet. There are many reasons the indicated range could/would be wrong.

I would not expect that kind of range and make your purchase decision based on it.
Agreed. Let’s see the TFL guys or someone else get a real world test to tell us what range they get.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Agreed. Let’s see the TFL guys or someone else get a real world test to tell us what range they get.
I love TFL and can't wait for their review of the Lightning.

Rocky Wabbit

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 F150's
Occupation
retired
The way these cross and head winds blow me around in a Aluminum truck, I'm thinking lucky to get 300 and the extended battery adds another $$$$$ to the cost !

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
In addition to the guess-o-meter/driven at slow speeds points made earlier in this thread, I'd like to chime in that there's been no confirmation whatsoever that the claim re 1000 lb payload during testing is true, either.
I'd call this pretty good confirmation:
"The company is targeting an EPA-estimated range of 300 miles for its extended-range model, and, according to Palmer, it achieved that with 1,000 pounds in the bed and without a bed cover. "

( Ford EV Boss on How F-150 Lightning Conquers Range Anxiety (businessinsider.com) )

Unless you think the head of Ford Evs is lying.....

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I stand corrected.
I'm not trying to be that guy-- I do realize what Ford "says" it achieved in testing is very different that what it will actually achieve in real world conditions. I'd like to see 3rd party validation. :)

At least it shows Ford's intention and that they are taking this seriously. It also is in sync with the Mach E which routinely get EPA estimates or better for range. That is in contrast to Tesla which almost always underperforms EPA estimates...

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
How much of a difference 1000 Ib load makes anyway specially if they tested it on the road not stop and go traffic? It is not an ICE truck with 1000 lb load; regen recovers most of the energy lost taking that 1000 Ib up hill when you come down and if it is tested on flat road, regen inefficiencies wouldn’t even matter.

During the test, cross section of the truck most likely had the same area as lightening without load and aero dynamic may have even improved with load (pending shape of the load, less turbulence in the back could reduce drag).

Don’t let wishful thinking get the best of you. We are lucky steering wheel is not an expensive option. Ford is not going to give you something for nothing. Especially range. They don’t make their own batteries.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
How much of a difference 1000 Ib load makes anyway specially if they tested it on the road not stop and go traffic? It is not an ICE truck with 1000 lb load; regen recovers most of the energy lost taking that 1000 Ib up hill when you come down and if it is tested on flat road, regen inefficiencies wouldn’t even matter.

During the test, cross section of the truck most likely had the same area as lightening without load and aero dynamic may have even improved with load (pending shape of the load, less turbulence in the back could reduce drag).

Don’t let wishful thinking get the best of you. We are lucky steering wheel is not an expensive option. Ford is not going to give you something for nothing. Especially range. They don’t make their own batteries.
Google "Tesla pulling trailer". Prolly about >50% hit to range for a Tesla. For a small trailer.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Google "Tesla pulling trailer". Prolly about >50% hit to range for a Tesla. For a small trailer.
EVs in particular are sensitive to weight changes....mush more than an ICE vehicle. I would not be surprised to see 1000lbs make quite a bit of difference to tell you the truth. Ford is playing it safe here, but I've got to think they were well aware of what the competition is offering up as far as range with Rivian, HUMMER and Tesla. Like the Mach E Ford has made the decision to underpromise and overdeliver.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
As far as regen braking goes if you're starting/returning to the same elevation hills are NEVER going to give you more energy, or even equal the energy. There are always going be a loss(vs flat ground), even under the best of circumstances.

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
No arguments that there will be some loss but it is not the same. Put a bunch of fat guys and their luggage in the same Tesla without the trailer and you will see there is a difference. Trailer adds more drag and friction both due to surface area and tires.

Like the Mach E Ford has made the decision to underpromise and overdeliver.
I do agree that Tesla under deliver and Ford over deliver but the numbers stated in this thread is beyond overenthusiastic.

As far as regen braking goes if you're starting/returning to the same elevation hills are NEVER going to give you more energy, or even equal the energy. There are always going be a loss(vs flat ground), even under the best of circumstances.
Obviously. Hence the use of “regen inefficiencies” in my comment.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Food for thought..I was watching a video review on INside EVs of a media test ride in a prototype Lightning. They were taken on the std media course-- high speed oval, trailer test, off road course. They did NOT really discuss range other than repeat the std EPA range 230/300mi. All old news.

However they did have some video footage and got a picture of the dash and few things caught my eye. I posted a screen capture below. It was in the "tow test" segment and was clearly the media portion that dealt with towing. The host was talking about it being in "tow mode"-- indicated by the trailer icon. Also note that this truck was repeatedly used for towing(they had 3 different trucks at the different stations for this media event). It was an extended battery, with 18,000mi on it.

The range indicated to the left is 263mi and the bar seems to indicate ~80% capacity. IF things are linear then 263mi/80% == 329mi @100%(full battery).

Thats not all... Also realize its in tow mode and probably had been towing for quite a bit of time. According to Ford, the truck "knows" what trailer you have, the weight and load and automatically adjusts range. It would be reasonable to think the the range was at least partially adjusted(for the trailer) and an unloaded range would be higher than 329mi.

As always, YMMV and nothing is a sure thing until it gets test in the real world. However, my thoughts are this confirms everything we've heard so far that the Lightning will be able to exceed the EPA 300mi in real world applications. It could possibly be significantly more if you are empty and/or flat terrain. I think Ford is going conservative as to not upset the f150 crowd. They can't afford to be reckless here, this truck is a big deal.

The video can be found at : Ford F-150 Lightning Test Ride: Best-Selling Pickup Goes Electric (insideevs.com)

Thoughts?
Ford F-150 Lightning 2021 F-150 Lightning With Extended Battery May Get ~460 Miles Range, Unloaded! F150_range

Last edited:

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Food for thought..I was watching a video review on INside EVs of a media test ride in a prototype Lightning. They were taken on the std media course-- high speed oval, trailer test, off road course. They did NOT really discuss range other than repeat the std EPA range 230/300mi. All old news.

However I did some video footage and got a picture of the dash and few things caught my eye. I posted a screen capture below. It was in the "tow test" segment and was clearly the media portion that dealt with towing. The host was talking about it being in "tow mode"-- indicated by the trailer icon. Also note that this truck was repeatedly used for towing(they had 3 different trucks at the different stations for this media event). It was an extended battery, with 18,000mi on it.

The range indicated to the left is 263mi and the bar seems to indicate ~80% capacity. IF things are linear then 263mi/80% == 329mi @100%(full battery).

Thats not all... Also realize its in tow mode and probably had been towing for quite a bit of time. According to Ford, the truck "knows" what trailer you have, the weight and load and automatically adjusts range. It would be reasonable to think the the range was at least partially adjusted(for the trailer) and an unloaded range would be higher than 329mi.

As always, YMMV and nothing is a sure thing until it gets test in the real world. However, my thoughts are this confirms everything we've heard so far that the Lightning will be able to exceed the EPA 300mi in real world applications. It could possibly be significantly more if you are empty and/or flat terrain. I think Ford is going conservative as to not upset the f150 crowd. They can't afford to be reckless here, this truck is a big deal.

The video can be found at : Ford F-150 Lightning Test Ride: Best-Selling Pickup Goes Electric (insideevs.com)

Thoughts?
F150_range.jpg
Positive sign, but also notice the speed. I haven't heard any of the reviewers talk about how fast they went in the tow test. Here they are going 25mph. So yes they are towing, and yes they are going up and down hills, but they are going at slow speed. Most of the range reduction while towing comes from Aero drag at higher speeds.

Would have been great if we could have gotten this picture from the high speed test!

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro

Just more evidence that we should mostly ignore what the pre-production truck's Guess-O-Meter says.

If it was towing and it said 200 miles at 100%, then I'd say that's great news because it's within some realm of possibility.

There's no way that in any normal-ish real life scenario that the Lightning is going to get 329 miles while towing.

So, Indicating 329 miles at 100% while towing means one of two things: The range estimate is basically meaningless in this pre-production truck. OR it's a completely unrealistic scenario, like driving a tiny trailer around a parking lot for an entire battery charge.
Sponsored