• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

MannyFrescoSC

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Unbox Therapy’s new video shows 406 miles of range at about 90% charge. Falls in line with 450-460 mi or range
Sponsored

ansky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Audi RS3
I’m actually talking about US-87 between Amarillo,TX and Trinidad, CO.
I recall Tesla owners fretting about this stretch quite often. Didnt know they got a respite. Devil of a drive for EVs

Luke the Duke

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Ford Explorer, 2015 Ford C-Max
Occupation
Energy Engineer
Unbox Therapy’s new video shows 406 miles of range at about 90% charge. Falls in line with 450-460 mi or range
I saw that too. Chances are it's the same f150 from the OP video though. Still hoping...maybe I'll put on an AeroCap.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler Rubicon and 2018 Mini Cooper S Count
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
I’m actually talking about US-87 between Amarillo,TX and Trinidad, CO. I ask EA to put fast chargers on that route every chance I get. Tesla just recently put a Supercharger in Clayton, NM so Tesla owners don’t have to negotiate that fast charging desert any more.

I've driven that stretch a few times myself. Even a gas vehicle can have an issue if you don't pay attention. I remember driving up from Amarillo, for the first time. I didn't gas up in Amarillo and there were zero gas stations almost all the way to the Texas state line. It was like an episode of Seinfeld as we watched the gas gauge drop below Empty.

Since then, I never pass a gas station on that route...

I've noticed that if I want to drive from Denver to Denton, TX I would be routed over to Wichita and then down to Texas. Routing from Denver to Amarillo makes you take the road to Limon, Lamar, through the OK panhandle, and on to Amarillo...

If Tesla opens up access to Superchargers, a lot of problems will get resolved.

Sponsored

wingfiry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I've driven that stretch a few times myself. Even a gas vehicle can have an issue if you don't pay attention. I remember driving up from Amarillo, for the first time. I didn't gas up in Amarillo and there were zero gas stations almost all the way to the Texas state line. It was like an episode of Seinfeld as we watched the gas gauge drop below Empty.

Since then, I never pass a gas station on that route...

I've noticed that if I want to drive from Denver to Denton, TX I would be routed over to Wichita and then down to Texas. Routing from Denver to Amarillo makes you take the road to Limon, Lamar, through the OK panhandle, and on to Amarillo...

If Tesla opens up access to Superchargers, a lot of problems will get resolved.
I won't hold my breath for that one.. They will supposedly open them up 3rd quarter of 2022, but only in Norway.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
I won't hold my breath for that one.. They will supposedly open them up 3rd quarter of 2022, but only in Norway.
Unfortunately, I agree with you. It'll take a government regulation to resolve it.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I really think everyone is making way to much over what these videos show for range. Their are many reasons why they could be showing high, but my biggest guess is that they are just not calibrated for the F150 yet. They could be using the Mach-e range calculation, which would give about the range shown due to the larger battery. (~50% larger battery = ~50% more range (300mi vs ~460 mi).

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
I really think everyone is making way to much over what these videos show for range. Their are many reasons why they could be showing high, but my biggest guess is that they are just not calibrated for the F150 yet. They could be using the Mach-e range calculation, which would give about the range shown due to the larger battery. (~50% larger battery = ~50% more range (300mi vs ~460 mi).
I'm sure there are several ways this could be wrong. But we know that Ford has been sandbagging on their range. The EPA and real life numbers are proving that. Frankly, I'm impressed with Ford for under-promising and over-delivering.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I'm sure there are several ways this could be wrong. But we know that Ford has been sandbagging on their range. The EPA and real life numbers are proving that. Frankly, I'm impressed with Ford for under-promising and over-delivering.
If you think the F-150 Lightning is trending and attractive right now to the 100k+ who have already reserved it...just wait for the accurate range estimates to come out.

Sponsored

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
I think the point is that even if they're sandbagging, which they probably are, and that they'll "overdeliver" the official range, it's not going to be 460 miles if they say it's 300 miles. Maybe 350 miles or something. Not over 50% more.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I think the point is that even if they're sandbagging, which they probably are, and that they'll "overdeliver" the official range, it's not going to be 460 miles if they say it's 300 miles. Maybe 350 miles or something. Not over 50% more.
Actual videos are surfacing showing range over 400 miles without the 1,000lb payload.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Actual videos are surfacing showing range over 400 miles without the 1,000lb payload.
That is indicated, not tested - no one has tested it yet. There are many reasons the indicated range could/would be wrong.

I would not expect that kind of range and make your purchase decision based on it.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
That is indicated, not tested - no one has tested it yet. There are many reasons the indicated range could/would be wrong.

I would not expect that kind of range and make your purchase decision based on it.
I wouldn't make a purchase decision based on untested speculative specs.

Though, with the advanced range calculation on board, I also don't think we can ignore that those numbers do exist and it's plausible that the actual range on the extended battery could be higher than what was originally stated.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
I wouldn't make a purchase decision based on untested speculative specs.

Though, with the advanced range calculation on board, I also don't think we can ignore that those numbers do exist and it's plausible that the actual range on the extended battery could be higher than what was originally stated.
Yes, I think it's plausible that the EPA range and actual range will both be >300 miles. I don't think it's reasonable to believe that they're going to be anywhere near 460 miles, though.

The onboard range calculator can only go by the information it has. If all you have been doing is driving around a parking lot at 20 mph, then it may assume that you're going to continue to do so, and in that case, you might get 460 miles of range. But you won't get anywhere near that under normal driving scenarios.

We don't know how well that range calculator is calibrated right now, either, since it's not a production truck.
Sponsored