First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT (302A), 2016 Harley Davidson Sports
Occupation
Car Sales Consultant
Alexa HMI? Does that make Alexa the default voice assistant in the vehicle? I know that's a feature coming in an OTA later this year. It'd be pretty sweet if we were able to enable that now!
Bumping this question from earlier. Does anybody know what Alexa HMI does?

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
Bumping this question from earlier. Does anybody know what Alexa HMI does?
I think it's still easier to use a phone … at least in the phone you can turn off the "listen" mode so Google/Amazon don't record everything the phone can hear. And Google's voice interface and map routing prove more efficient than the Ford system (which seems to ignore traffic till it's too late and take routes that don't turn out to be quicker.)
I'd like Android Auto to be wireless, but wired isn't that much of a problem since there's a USB-C right there in the console (and I use a magnetic mount to keep the phone up on the dash next to the air vent.) AA is probably the most convenient and efficient nav I've used (compared to Tesla, Porsche, Mercedes, Ford, Land Rover.)

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
I think it's still easier to use a phone … at least in the phone you can turn off the "listen" mode so Google/Amazon don't record everything the phone can hear. And Google's voice interface and map routing prove more efficient than the Ford system (which seems to ignore traffic till it's too late and take routes that don't turn out to be quicker.)
I'd like Android Auto to be wireless, but wired isn't that much of a problem since there's a USB-C right there in the console (and I use a magnetic mount to keep the phone up on the dash next to the air vent.) AA is probably the most convenient and efficient nav I've used (compared to Tesla, Porsche, Mercedes, Ford, Land Rover.)
I thought AA was wireless? That was the big upgrade to Sync 4

Sponsored

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I thought AA was wireless? That was the big upgrade to Sync 4
Doesn't seem to offer it in the F-150. Maybe in other vehicles with Sync-4.
There are "wireless" options in the menus, but it seems to work through USB only.
(maybe I need to try harder …)

mhoffman54

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Car Sales Consultant
I agree with everything you said about Android Auto, but I'm too far deep into the Alexa eco system to just switch to Google now. Even after Alexa is officially launched on these vehicles, I will continue to use AA for all things related to the vehicle. But to be able to say "Alexa, set my home thermostat to 70°" on my way home, or "Alexa, arm my alarm" when I leave the house... Little things like that really are a game changer for me.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I agree with everything you said about Android Auto, but I'm too far deep into the Alexa eco system to just switch to Google now. Even after Alexa is officially launched on these vehicles, I will continue to use AA for all things related to the vehicle. But to be able to say "Alexa, set my home thermostat to 70°" on my way home, or "Alexa, arm my alarm" when I leave the house... Little things like that really are a game changer for me.
Yep. Google does all that stuff. Automated window blinds. Front door bell/camera/intercom. It all works pretty easily with some weird, weird limitations like window/door open sensors don't report if the system is in "home" (rather than "away") mode. Bizarre. Anyway, inexplicable unforced error, Google just discontinued their "Nest Secure" product, which is sort of the hub of all their home security gizmos. Inexplicable … I guess they didn't make enough billions or eavesdropping on every word spoken in the household was not enough. : )
I trust Amazon about as far as I can comfortably spit a dead rat.
In the car for phone or nav, Google is still ahead of Apple, but at least iPhone works now and doesn't try to drive across golf courses or rivers.

YOCUBED

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 GLE 450, 2016 BMW M3, 2021 F150 Limited
Occupation
Emergency Physician
Doesn't seem to offer it in the F-150. Maybe in other vehicles with Sync-4.
There are "wireless" options in the menus, but it seems to work through USB only.
(maybe I need to try harder …)
AA is most definitely wireless in my F150 Limited. When I get into the truck each morning it automatically connects over wireless. Every once in a blue moon it will tell me that it couldn't connect but if I go into the phone list and choose my phone and then android auto it will wirelessly reconnect. Maybe it's related to the phone. I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy S20+

mhoffman54

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Car Sales Consultant
AA is most definitely wireless in my F150 Limited. When I get into the truck each morning it automatically connects over wireless. Every once in a blue moon it will tell me that it couldn't connect but if I go into the phone list and choose my phone and then android auto it will wirelessly reconnect. Maybe it's related to the phone. I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy S20+
Wireless works well in my XLT 302A as well. I do get the occasional "can't connect" message too. Drives me nuts...

Sponsored

mhoffman54

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Car Sales Consultant
A few random thoughts I had this morning. I know there are values for different features that your truck may, or may not have. Has anybody played with those at all? Most notably, I was wondering about Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control. My truck does not have the front sensor, so I wouldn't be able to pace myself to the vehicle in front of me, but if I enable that feature, any chance that I could set a variance instead of setting my actual speed? The truck already knows the speed limit via connected nav, as displayed on my speedo, so in theory wouldn't I be able to set it to 5 mph over the speed limit instead of, say, 60 mph?
Lane centering too, for that matter. I have lane keeping, so it already has the camera to watch the lines. Couldn't it technically keep me centered in my lane instead of just not letting me cross the line? Or does centering require additional sensors?

Icewraithusa

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XL 3.5 EcoBoost

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I have a Platinum. I guess wireless is "in there" – I'll just have to go find it. I guess it could be a phone thing. I recently replaced my phone. I just futzed around with the touchscreen and the only thing I get is this USB prompt:
Ford F-150 2021+ F-150 FORScan List / Database / Spreadsheet ? IMG_20210909_173250

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
What? No, I want to install the display, I already know how to use FORScan and have been contributing to this thread?
ok, well, you quoted someone asking about fixing the bugs in what they're doing. I haven't read the 14+ pages of this thread. : )

YOCUBED

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 GLE 450, 2016 BMW M3, 2021 F150 Limited
Occupation
Emergency Physician