First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
I'm thinking there must be something wrong in the calibration of the feedback sensors on some trucks.. Mine constantly complains when my hands are on the wheels, and I added a 2lb ankle weight to one side yesterday and it still complains. I know sockets can be heavy, but most aren't 2 lbs.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Yeah 2lbs is a lot, I’ll weigh my thing later but I don’t think it’s 2lbs. One thing that definitely does matter is where you put it on the wheel. It’ll cause the most resistance (Have the most leverage) at the 9:00 or 3:00 positions, if you just hang something on the bottom, unless it’s actively in a fairly sharp turn, it’s not going to feel much resistance at all and assume you’re not holding the wheel. It bases it all off of force it feels trying to turn the wheel essentially, not necessarily just weight hanging from it.

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
I had mine at 4:00 just like the video. Not as much force as at 3:00, but it is enough i can definitely feel it while turning the wheel.

Sponsored

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
This is pretty great! It is a little annoying how much the system will ping you. It has basically trained me to change how I drive and ensure I always have pressure on one side of the wheel. Still not ideal though because I feel it's less "safe", as it has me not driving with equal grip/pressure on the wheel like I usually do.

Coolrain

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Raptor
This is pretty great! It is a little annoying how much the system will ping you. It has basically trained me to change how I drive and ensure I always have pressure on one side of the wheel. Still not ideal though because I feel it's less "safe", as it has me not driving with equal grip/pressure on the wheel like I usually do.
[/QUOTE

Is there a way to turn it off?

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Is there a way to turn it off?
No, that's the whole reason people have come up with these workarounds. I'm hopeful someone will be able to find a way with FORScan to extend the time between it checking on your or just disabling it all together, but there's nothing available yet that I know of.

Coolrain

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Raptor
No, that's the whole reason people have come up with these workarounds. I'm hopeful someone will be able to find a way with FORScan to extend the time between it checking on your or just disabling it all together, but there's nothing available yet that I know of.
I'm surprised they don't have a setting to just shut off the driver assist altogether. I hope they update that before I get my rig.... super annoying to modify your driving habits due to this... takes away from the experience

Edit: Just googled it - you can turn this off in your settings

Sponsored

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
I'm surprised they don't have a setting to just shut off the driver assist altogether. I hope they update that before I get my rig.... super annoying to modify your driving habits due to this... takes away from the experience

Edit: Just googled it - you can turn this off in your settings
Oh, yeah you can absolutely disable all the driver assist features like adaptive cruise, lane centering, etc. I thought you were asking if they had an option to disable the requirement to keep your hands on the wheel.

RT21KRH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch 2013 Lariat
Occupation
Physicist
Am I the only one that gets nervous at how casual he's being trusting the Co Pilot to pass a semi and a concrete barrier at 78 MPH? I don't trust any machine/sensor 100% in that specific scenario...anything can fail and there's a number of ways something can spoof the sensors...and the potential accident at that speed would be no joke...
Yes you are correct. I saw another moron doing this on a two lane road in a snowstorm! With oncoming traffic. Fortunately nature has a way of getting rid of these idiots… just don’t take mom and her kids with you.

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum FX4 5.0
Am I the only one that gets nervous at how casual he's being trusting the Co Pilot to pass a semi and a concrete barrier at 78 MPH? I don't trust any machine/sensor 100% in that specific scenario...anything can fail and there's a number of ways something can spoof the sensors...and the potential accident at that speed would be no joke...
Haha I thought the same thing. The 78mph pass really had me nervous.

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
There is definitely a calibration issue with the required pressure / input on the steering wheel with the LKA..
I am one who would always want to keep my hands on the wheel just in case but I would prefer a loose/relaxed grip. They need to make it so that people can use the lane centering with just resting their hands on the wheel at the ready. Then this sort of hack would be much less appealing.

I don’t have mine yet to say how far it is from what I would like but from everyones comments it sounds like it will be which makes this sort of thing tempting even having my hands on the wheel.

Maybe find the right size weight to dial it in where it would alert when hands are off the wheel but not require firmly gripping it.

CJ912

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 2017 Explorer Sport
Occupation
Warehouse consultant
I did not want the lane centering on my vehicle, I purchased A higher trim option than I had planned due to what was available during the chip shortage.

that said, I love using it when it works. Unfortunately I’ll turn it off most of the time because I get sick of it bitching at me even when my hands are on the wheel. Thanks for the hack, I’m going to try it later and hope for an update that works.
Sponsored