Sponsored

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum FX4 5.0
Haha that’s awesome. So when Blue Cruise comes out later this year, what is the main difference between the ankle weight video(current lane keeping system) and the new software? Other than no longer needing the ankle weight ?

CommoSGT

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 Lariat SCrew, 2021 F150 Lariat SCrew
Occupation
Engineer
@Baby Beast

You have the active prep or just the assist package?

Sponsored

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
I suppose I am going to have to apply this hack until blue cruise comes out. Last time I was on the interstate it pinged me to put my hands on the wheel eleventy billion times... even though I never took them off. I guess I just hold the wheel too lightly for it.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 XLT on Order/Mazda Roadster Club/Model 3
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired/Student
lol......just like a Tesla, except I think Ford will actually send out an update to mitigate this

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
Am I the only one that gets nervous at how casual he's being trusting the Co Pilot to pass a semi and a concrete barrier at 78 MPH? I don't trust any machine/sensor 100% in that specific scenario...anything can fail and there's a number of ways something can spoof the sensors...and the potential accident at that speed would be no joke...

Sponsored

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Funny, I devised my own little device to do this same thing. I got a spare impact socket with a hook in it that I can just hang from the side of the wheel whenever needed. Obviously still need to have a constant focus on the road, regular Co-Pilot Assist is by no means capable of completely autonomous driving, but for the highway, it works great to save you having to constantly grab the wheel to keep that chime away.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Haha that’s awesome. So when Blue Cruise comes out later this year, what is the main difference between the ankle weight video(current lane keeping system) and the new software? Other than no longer needing the ankle weight ?
The main thing is Blue Cruise will only even be available to be activated on roads that have been mapped/approved by Ford, coverage will be limited to major highways for a while. Even GM's Super Cruise, which has a pretty good head start on Ford is fairly limited on its coverage. This is is just using the lane centering feature of the Co-Pilot Assist stuff, and will work anywhere it can see the lines. It works great on well marked lanes, but we have a lot of poorly marked lanes, TONS of crack filler everywhere, and construction here in New England that just throws the cameras for a loop all the time. Only really works safely on highways around here, but where it can be activated it works great. I can get on the highway and not need to touch the gas, brakes, or steering wheel for 10 miles at a time in some places.

The disclaimer does of course need to be added that this is NOT a reason to start texting, watching Netflix, or taking a nap while driving. The system on a regular Co-Pilot Assist equipped truck is by no means capable of "thinking on its feet" well enough to have a completely inattentive driver. You absolutely need to have your hands available to take over at any time (And the truck will make you if it loses sight lines of the lanes) and need to be paying attention to what's going on around you.

Last edited:

Itsjustmd

First Name
Jayce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
I suppose I am going to have to apply this hack until blue cruise comes out. Last time I was on the interstate it pinged me to put my hands on the wheel eleventy billion times... even though I never took them off. I guess I just hold the wheel too lightly for it.
This! I'd add this just because even though my hands stay on the wheel I have to constantly move them or exaggerate me holding it for it to stop beeping at me.

lol......just like a Tesla, except I think Ford will actually send out an update to mitigate this
I don't think they can, otherwise it wouldn't work with a person's hand on it. It just senses weight.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
The only thing I could see them doing is forcing the driver attention thing on to prevent people from not paying attention at least.
But yes, the way it work is by feeling resistance to it trying to turn, assuming your hands are doing that. It’s not so much just weight, but the fact that the weight makes it feel like someone is tugging on the wheel and there holding it.

newdeal99

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 on order
I determined a while ago that if I put the strap of my ball cap around the wheel that I can use the ball cap as a little holder for my hand and the weight of my hand will allow the cruise to continue to work without turning off. I guess this is a better solution though because if I try to turn really hard to the left sometimes the hat gets tangled on the turn signal lever. The same trick did not work reliably in my previous vehicle which was a Genesis G70 but on the highway the G70 even without holding the wheel would go a very very long time without dinging at me (I think the added speed of highway driving was perhaps giving the system enough feedback to not ding...the same is not true with the Ford system though).
Sponsored