2021 Driver side rear door will not open

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
I guess every time it’s cold I’ll have to drive with the door open. It’s going to be a long long winter if they don’t have a fix for it.
Oh, they have a fix for it. They've been dealing with this since the all aluminum body truck came out in '15, at least. They wait until they have a bunch of complaints each year then they open a TSB for the model year to let dealers do a band-aid fix. I'm on my 3rd Gen13 F-150 and have had the TSB done on my first two with an open TSB on my current '19 vehicle. My '19 hasn't frozen yet so I'm not taking it in to get the TSB performed.

Probably need to wait until someone actually falls out of a vehicle and gets seriously injured because a frozen door won't latch before Ford will do anything about their design. That, in my opinion, speaks volumes about what the company thinks about its customers.
Sponsored

Cincy150

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SC Sport
Occupation
Application Engineer
I took mine to the dealer yesterday. They took the door apart and did not find any issues. They said they cleaned it out with alcohol to remove any moisture / water from the locking cables and such.

I have to bring it back for the undercarriage recall when they get the parts, so I will continue to try the door at various temperature, after snow, rain etc and see if it still occurs. I highly doubt they resolved anything.
At least they tried something.. the technician at my dealer simply said "advise customer mechanical parts don't want to move in extreme cold temperatures." :rolleyes:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Yes, that is what the original poster of the de-icing suggestion indicated.
Again, I never experienced the problem but LOTS of folks did. Very annoying and one of those things that Ford's solution was hit/miss.

Cincy150

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SC Sport
Occupation
Application Engineer
Yes, that is what the original poster of the de-icing suggestion indicated.
Again, I never experienced the problem but LOTS of folks did. Very annoying and one of those things that Ford's solution was hit/miss.
Thanks for sharing that. I'm gonna give it a shot. Will share the results!

Sponsored

Cincy150

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SC Sport
Occupation
Application Engineer
Temps dipped down into the teens overnight/this morning. And I had the issue again. Either I didn't spray well enough, or because I didn't use the same product. One thing I have noticed the last couple times this has happened is if I punch in the SecuriCode # on the door, it let's me right in, but the other unlock methods don't. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What product did you use? Just curious.
Were you able to see exactly what you were spraying?

Mont1414

First Name
james
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
-11 Celsius here today, door not working again and was brought to the dealer. They just called to say the lock assembly and actuator needs to be replaced.. part is on backorder obviously and won’t be here until Monday/Tuesday, no loaner vehicle for me to take.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-11 Celsius here today, door not working again and was brought to the dealer. They just called to say the lock assembly and actuator needs to be replaced.. part is on backorder obviously and won’t be here until Monday/Tuesday, no loaner vehicle for me to take.
I'd rather warm my own door latching mechanism up while they wait for parts. It's the lesser of two irritations. :)

Mont1414

First Name
james
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
I'd rather warm my own door latching mechanism up while they wait for parts. It's the lesser of two irritations. :)
Oh I know but they insisted that it be left at the dealer since the whole entire door is taken apart…. I rather them take the whole door off and cover it with a sheet of plywood with a window cut out. I’ve had to climb out of the passenger door for the past 3 weeks anyways so what’s the difference

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Temps dipped down into the teens overnight/this morning. And I had the issue again. Either I didn't spray well enough, or because I didn't use the same product. One thing I have noticed the last couple times this has happened is if I punch in the SecuriCode # on the door, it let's me right in, but the other unlock methods don't. It doesn't make any sense to me.
Hi there! Can you send us a PM with your VIN and Ford dealership name? I’d be happy to look into this on my end.

stangsandatruck

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
Software Engineer
A bit of an interesting update to mine. I have had it happen again now that the very cold temps have returned. I do notice if I go for a drive / trip and immediately lock the doors, I can no longer open the driver door with the issue. If I leave them unlocked until everything returns to a below freezing temperature, the door seems to work fine. Tonight I went out and it was about 14ºF and tried the method of leaving it unlocked and the door opened just fine. Ran some errands and never let the truck get cooled off. Returned home, locked immediately because I figured I was in for the night. Well had to go back out (currently 2ºF) and have found the lock stuck.
Unfortunately, I cannot get it into the dealer until I return from a trip, so maybe I'll get good at jumping over the center console to use the passenger door.

psambrose

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 2018 Mustang GT 2017 Lincoln MKZ
You would think after making car doors for 120 years, Ford would pretty much have them perfected. Apparently not - I'm still crawling in and out through my driver window. $72K...lol.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
A bit of an interesting update to mine. I have had it happen again now that the very cold temps have returned. I do notice if I go for a drive / trip and immediately lock the doors, I can no longer open the driver door with the issue. If I leave them unlocked until everything returns to a below freezing temperature, the door seems to work fine. Tonight I went out and it was about 14ºF and tried the method of leaving it unlocked and the door opened just fine. Ran some errands and never let the truck get cooled off. Returned home, locked immediately because I figured I was in for the night. Well had to go back out (currently 2ºF) and have found the lock stuck.
Unfortunately, I cannot get it into the dealer until I return from a trip, so maybe I'll get good at jumping over the center console to use the passenger door.
Hello, Chris!
Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer.
I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this door concern. Thanks!

Cincy150

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SC Sport
Occupation
Application Engineer
Hi there! Can you send us a PM with your VIN and Ford dealership name? I’d be happy to look into this on my end.
Thanks. I'm dropping it off at the dealer tomorrow - they seem to want to make this right. If I have any further trouble, I will follow up.
Sponsored