2021 Driver side rear door will not open

DSB1995

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Yesterday I took the kids to basketball practice last night and they could not get the left side rear door to open from the inside and got out on the other side. While they were at practice I opened it from the out side and did not see an issue. When later I picked them up they were able to open it from the outside and then later from the inside when we got home.

This morning I could not open it from the outside or the inside and it seems the lock nob (?) on top of the door does not move and has lots of resistance.

I scheduled an appointment at the dealer for next week, but has anyone else had or seen this issue? Will they be able to remove the door panel with out it opening?

Update: After work I was still not able to open the door, but after driving home I could open it, so I think it might be temperature related. It has been ~ 20 out today and this is the first cold spell so far this year. I will check it again in the morning to see if it is 'frozen' again. Perhaps there is too much grease somewhere that is getting stuck or something.

Update 2: The door had been working with out issue, so I canceled the service appointment and I guess no one else has had the issue. If it comes back I will take better notes and take it in for inspection.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mont1414

First Name
james
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Yesterday I took the kids to basketball practice last night and they could not get the left side rear door to open from the inside and got out on the other side. While they were at practice I opened it from the out side and did not see an issue. When later I picked them up they were able to open it from the outside and then later from the inside when we got home.

This morning I could not open it from the outside or the inside and it seems the lock nob (?) on top of the door does not move and has lots of resistance.

I scheduled an appointment at the dealer for next week, but has anyone else had or seen this issue? Will they be able to remove the door panel with out it opening?

Update: After work I was still not able to open the door, but after driving home I could open it, so I think it might be temperature related. It has been ~ 20 out today and this is the first cold spell so far this year. I will check it again in the morning to see if it is 'frozen' again. Perhaps there is too much grease somewhere that is getting stuck or something.

Update 2: The door had been working with out issue, so I canceled the service appointment and I guess no one else has had the issue. If it comes back I will take better notes and take it in for inspection.
Had that issue today, driver door wouldn’t open, got inside from passenger door and opened the driver door from inside, drove it then I wasn’t able to open the door from the inside and had to climb to the passenger side, pulled on the driver door a couple times from the outside and it opened but the locking tab continued to stay down,
Couldn’t get it to pop up when unlocking from the remote and door panel control. Thought it fixed itself from me clicking lock and unlock about 6 times and finally was able to get the tab to move up and down. Now It is stuck again and I unable to lock the driverside door, inside door handle is stuck and doesn’t move. Tried using the manual key and couldn’t get it to turn and lock the door. Service appointment booked for Thursday.. they said they had one in with a similar issue. It has been cold here -8 to -15 at night.

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
Had that issue today, driver door wouldn’t open, got inside from passenger door and opened the driver door from inside, drove it then I wasn’t able to open the door from the inside and had to climb to the passenger side, pulled on the driver door a couple times from the outside and it opened but the locking tab continued to stay down,
Couldn’t get it to pop up when unlocking from the remote and door panel control. Thought it fixed itself from me clicking lock and unlock about 6 times and finally was able to get the tab to move up and down. Now It is stuck again and I unable to lock the driverside door, inside door handle is stuck and doesn’t move. Tried using the manual key and couldn’t get it to turn and lock the door. Service appointment booked for Thursday.. they said they had one in with a similar issue. It has been cold here -8 to -15 at night.
Have had the same issue with my driver door — something is freezing in the mechanism. Neither door locks nor latch will function and had to climb out of the truck via the passenger side. It’s somewhat intermittent (always cold though) and I can ‘fix’ it by using lock de-icer - or sometimes it resolves on its own.

In my case I suspect that my door seal isn’t tight all the time (I can hear some wind noise, was planning on having it checked out before the lock freezing) and water is getting in and then freezing. Frustrating when you are able to get in your car, drive to the store and then be unable to get out. Ha.

Need to make an appt with the dealer to take a look at the door alignment.

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 302A FX4 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired Systems Integrator
I couldn't open the rear driver side door last night either. I approached the truck and put my hand in the front drivers side door handle before I put my hand in the rear driver side door handle like I usually do to unlock all doors. I could only open the front door last night. I only tried opening the rear door twice because it was 20 degrees outside - too cold to want to figure this out, especially since I had the drivers front door open. I ended up putting the bag I was carrying on the front passenger seat after I got in from the drivers side front door.

I'm guessing that because I drove the truck several hours earlier (rear door opened that time BTW) that maybe some moisture refroze in the door. It should be noted that I did remote start the truck and it warmed up for 15 minutes immediately before I had this issue. Perhaps the front of the truck cabin gets warmer and the front door thus opens faster in cold weather. :unsure:

I'll follow this thread in case there is more to this than what I think.

Last edited:

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I couldn't open the rear driver side door last night either. I approached the truck and put my hand in the front drivers side door handle before I put my hand in the rear driver side door handle like I usually do to unlock all doors. I could only open the front door last night. I only tried opening the rear door twice because it was 20 degrees outside - too cold to want to figure this out, especially since I had the drivers front door open. I ended up putting the bag I was carrying on the front passenger seat after I got in from the drivers side front door.

I'm guessing that because I drove the truck several hours earlier (rear door opened that time BTW) that maybe some moisture refroze in the door. It should be noted that I did remote start the truck and it warmed up for 15 minutes immediately before I had this issue. Perhaps the front of the truck cabin gets warmer and the front door thus opens faster in cold weather. :unsure:

I'll follow this thread in case there is more to this than what I think.
Hi there! Can you send us a message with your VIN and Ford dealership info? I’ll look into this on my end. Thank you!

Sponsored

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 302A FX4 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired Systems Integrator
Hi there! Can you send us a message with your VIN and Ford dealership info? I’ll look into this on my end. Thank you!
Thanks, but I think I'd rather wait for the OTA 32F+ update. When is that coming out?

Mont1414

First Name
james
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Have had the same issue with my driver door — something is freezing in the mechanism. Neither door locks nor latch will function and had to climb out of the truck via the passenger side. It’s somewhat intermittent (always cold though) and I can ‘fix’ it by using lock de-icer - or sometimes it resolves on its own.

In my case I suspect that my door seal isn’t tight all the time (I can hear some wind noise, was planning on having it checked out before the lock freezing) and water is getting in and then freezing. Frustrating when you are able to get in your car, drive to the store and then be unable to get out. Ha.

Need to make an appt with the dealer to take a look at the door alignment.
Interesting, when I went to the dealer to talk with the service department they somewhat said that it’s been a common issue and ford was looking at a fix for it. As of now it is only my driver door causing the issue with the lock getting stuck. I’ve noticed all the doors are extremely hard to close fully, i frequently get a door ajar notification because the doors aren’t sealing shut all the way and I have to Come back outside to press on the door to get it to latch. I know this is a common complaint in the thread.

Cincy150

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SC Sport
Occupation
Application Engineer
I'm having this exact problem on my '21. Driver door only. I have an appointment to drop off at the dealer tomorrow. It's only been doing it when the Temps dip into the teens. Its been frustrating getting right in, then not being able to get out if you stop right away.

Mont1414

First Name
james
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
I'm having this exact problem on my '21. Driver door only. I have an appointment to drop off at the dealer tomorrow. It's only been doing it when the Temps dip into the teens. Its been frustrating getting right in, then not being able to get out if you stop right away.
Yea it’s warmer where I am today (+3 Celsius ) and the door is working fine. -9 Celsius yesterday and it was the first time experience the issue. Can’t see it being sitting water that’s freezing as it hasn’t rained here in at least 5 days, just some light snow that has stayed frozen because it’s been so cold.

Sponsored

Cincy150

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SC Sport
Occupation
Application Engineer
Yea it’s warmer where I am today (+3 Celsius ) and the door is working fine. -9 Celsius yesterday and it was the first time experience the issue. Can’t see it being sitting water that’s freezing as it hasn’t rained here in at least 5 days, just some light snow that has stayed frozen because it’s been so cold.
Same.. its been mostly dry when it's happened. I'm not seeing any latching issues though like I did on my '16.

OP
OP

DSB1995

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150

I had a repeat of the issue and have an appointment at the dealer on Thursday and to look at the underbody insulation recall. I also did some searching and online and there looks to have been issues with water in door locks on previous models. Hopefully this only effects the rear door and does not spread to the driver side door. I am nervous about the issue becoming failures to shut as the truck wont fit in my garage...... then what.

MannyTremor

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tremor 21
Having this issue as well on the front driver door side. Can’t open the door from outside or inside when it gets really cold. Super frustrating.
Dropped it off at the dealer and they called the next day saying there’s no recall and that they just added lubrication to the locks.
Also they said if it happens again then to bring it back but as of right now it does not appear that they did anything significant to fix the issue. I will update if it happens again (probably will) and what the dealership says about it.

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
I couldn't stop laughing when I read the posts here! I've dealt with freezing locks on three different Gen 13 F-150's and I thought that since the Gen14 was supposed to be 92% all new, surely they finally redesigned the door locks. Guess door locks are part of the 8%. Something to look forward to when my '22 F-150 shows up.

Last edited:

WillB17

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
My passenger door requires a lot more force to close than the rest of the doors. I'm not sure what's interfering. I know its not latch interference, its more like soft resistance like from the weather stripping. Has anyone else had this experience?
Sponsored