Sponsored

2021 Battery issues

Rm21f150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I have seen several threads relating to the 2021 f150 battery drain, deep sleep, etc.
Rather than comment on every one, I figured I would just ask in a new thread.
HAS ANYONE HAD THE ISSUE SOLVED??
Mine went to the Ford dealership for the 3rd time for this today. All kinds of alerts on the dash like parking brake failure, service immediately. Rear restraint failure. I can't remember all of the others. And it was clicking and popping through the speakers. The lights were flashing. Then it all went black.
I found a post where it said jumping it off would work. When I hooked it up, I checked the voltage and it said 5.9V. It did jump off and was able to drive to the dealer. However when I shut it off, it went right back into deep sleep mode.
The dealer said they tested the battery and it was ok. They don't know why it's going into deep sleep. (Third time same answer) This time they are keeping a few days.
I'm just wondering if anyone has seen victory over this?
Also wondering if 2022 and 2023 have the same issue.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
It's a bit irritating to read how reluctant a dealership is to declaring a battery suspect. I know that they say they "tested" it. But honestly, you don't need to have them test it. You can test your battery yourself. And at least you KNOW what the results are if you check for yourself.

And I don't think it's a 2021 issue, but rather an issue with any Gen14 F150 that short-trips mostly, sits unused for days commonly, or has a module misbehaving and not shutting down properly in the designed amount of time.

These trucks are far harder on the 12V system than previous generations. And there are some trucks that should probably get some trickle charge love to be on the safe side.

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
Many of the issues you're describing are most likely related to both a bad battery and software which hasn't been updated. My truck had most of the same problems. The dealership did replace my battery under warranty, to do this it requires they.do an extensive battery test with there Rotunda tester,, this test takes a few hours and after testing mine failed. This is the only way they will get approval from Ford to warranty a battery.

Some of the other problems you described are most likely software related. Many of the modules on early 2021 builds need to be updated to correct this. These updates were not sent through ota so even if your truck has been updating, you may have still have many updates to do.

Have you asked someone on the forum to check your VIN for updates?

OP
OP

Rm21f150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Many of the issues you're describing are most likely related to both a bad battery and software which hasn't been updated. My truck had most of the same problems. The dealership did replace my battery under warranty, to do this it requires they.do an extensive battery test with there Rotunda tester,, this test takes a few hours and after testing mine failed. This is the only way they will get approval from Ford to warranty a battery.

Some of the other problems you described are most likely software related. Many of the modules on early 2021 builds need to be updated to correct this. These updates were not sent through ota so even if your truck has been updating, you may have still have many updates to do.

Have you asked someone on the forum to check your VIN for updates?
At this point I would just pay for the battery if that solved the problem.
The dealer said they did the updates the last time that I brought it in for this.
By having someone on here check it, can tell if it was completed? Or just that it was available?
Where would I ask that at?

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
After two dead battery events on my former ‘21, the dealer replaced the battery. It was fine after that. Issue resolved.

Sponsored

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
At this point I would just pay for the battery if that solved the problem.
The dealer said they did the updates the last time that I brought it in for this.
By having someone on here check it, can tell if it was completed? Or just that it was available?
Where would I ask that at?
Follow the link below. Ask if someone to check your FDRS history, this will tell you what your dealer did or didn't do!
Also ask for a list of what updates are available. This will help to diagnose some of your problems.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/request-vin-lookup-thread.13393/page-15#post-283065

Last edited:
OP
OP

Rm21f150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150

Davecp114

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT SuperCrew
I have a 2021 F150 with similar problems after a failed OTA update. I had battery issues this past March and the dealer was no help. I ended up charging the battery completely and then I disconnected it for a few hours. Immediately after I reconnected it, I received a Fordpass app notification that my truck was updated. All was good until another failed update and the situation started all over again. The next update finally installed and my battery no longer would discharge excessively. I had no problems whatsoever and 3 updates installed without a problem. My truck worked great on version version 2.7.4 until an update was pushed out on 11/3/2022 that failed. Now the battery discharges excessively when the truck is parked. My guess is the failed update causes one or more modules not go to sleep when the truck is parked. I called the Ford customer relations center (800-392-FORD) and spoke with someone in the over-the-air update group. The agent confirmed the most recent update failed. She told me that Ford will retry the updates within the next two weeks but couldn't give a specific timeframe. The implementation of the OTA updates is clearly a work in progress. I recommend that anyone that reads this post and has similar update problems to call Ford and complain. They are never going to fix this unless owners start being vocal about the problems that are happening. I'm a former Ford technician and I've seem similar problems that Ford took forever to resolve. Ford.....please fix my truck! This is frustrating!

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I have a 2021 F150 with similar problems after a failed OTA update. I had battery issues this past March and the dealer was no help. I ended up charging the battery completely and then I disconnected it for a few hours. Immediately after I reconnected it, I received a Fordpass app notification that my truck was updated. All was good until another failed update and the situation started all over again. The next update finally installed and my battery no longer would discharge excessively. I had no problems whatsoever and 3 updates installed without a problem. My truck worked great on version version 2.7.4 until an update was pushed out on 11/3/2022 that failed. Now the battery discharges excessively when the truck is parked. My guess is the failed update causes one or more modules not go to sleep when the truck is parked. I called the Ford customer relations center (800-392-FORD) and spoke with someone in the over-the-air update group. The agent confirmed the most recent update failed. She told me that Ford will retry the updates within the next two weeks but couldn't give a specific timeframe. The implementation of the OTA updates is clearly a work in progress. I recommend that anyone that reads this post and has similar update problems to call Ford and complain. They are never going to fix this unless owners start being vocal about the problems that are happening. I'm a former Ford technician and I've seem similar problems that Ford took forever to resolve. Ford.....please fix my truck! This is frustrating!
Hi Dave. Can you send us a DM with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into this for you.

rpellerin

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat, 5.0
I've had an issue where my Ford Pass will send me a notification titled "Remote features disabled to preserve battery" and in the message it says that it entered deep sleep mode because of a low battery charge (see attached).

Only once the truck seemed to struggle a bit to start, but these messages come up at random for me. Sometimes it will be after a 15min drive and sometimes after a 45min drive. Funny thing is that I usually get the message within 10min of parking the truck, so I figured it was a software issue.

I recently brought the truck in to Ford to look at this (and a few other things) and was told this is nothing to worry about... But they mentioned that they did some software updates to the truck when it was in, so I guess we'll see if that solved it.

Ford F-150 2021 Battery issues unnamed

Sponsored

Dfc41889

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 Sierra AT4 HD (Trade) - 22 F150 Plat (Ordered)
Occupation
Senior Financial Manager - CPA
I've had an issue where my Ford Pass will send me a notification titled "Remote features disabled to preserve battery" and in the message it says that it entered deep sleep mode because of a low battery charge (see attached).

Only once the truck seemed to struggle a bit to start, but these messages come up at random for me. Sometimes it will be after a 15min drive and sometimes after a 45min drive. Funny thing is that I usually get the message within 10min of parking the truck, so I figured it was a software issue.

I recently brought the truck in to Ford to look at this (and a few other things) and was told this is nothing to worry about... But they mentioned that they did some software updates to the truck when it was in, so I guess we'll see if that solved it.
I’m having this same issue with my 2022 F150 Plat 5.0. I have 2 alternators because of the 2k generator system. I work from home so my trips are mostly to the gym and back or store and back so 12-15 miles each way most days. I also take a long 150+ mile trip each way at least once a month. RecentlyI have been getting this same notice almost daily and many times multiple times daily. Today I drove over 100 miles in two trips. Within 2 hours of parking it, I got the notice.
I’m going to take it to my dealer and see what’s up. Truck only has 11,700 miles and I just got it in April on special order. I’m a little annoyed about it honestly.

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport SuperCrew 5.0L
I’m having this same issue with my 2022 F150 Plat 5.0. I have 2 alternators because of the 2k generator system. I work from home so my trips are mostly to the gym and back or store and back so 12-15 miles each way most days. I also take a long 150+ mile trip each way at least once a month. RecentlyI have been getting this same notice almost daily and many times multiple times daily. Today I drove over 100 miles in two trips. Within 2 hours of parking it, I got the notice.
I’m going to take it to my dealer and see what’s up. Truck only has 11,700 miles and I just got it in April on special order. I’m a little annoyed about it honestly.
Keep us updated. I was getting the same deep sleep notifications and even took it to the dealer to have the battery checked. They said it was fine but it's annoying having it happen on a new vehicle. I went ahead and installed an onboard charger/maintainer so I should be good but out of curiousity, does anyone know will it still receive updates if it's in deep sleep mode?

Dfc41889

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Keep us updated. I was getting the same deep sleep notifications and even took it to the dealer to have the battery checked. They said it was fine but it's annoying having it happen on a new vehicle. I went ahead and installed an onboard charger/maintainer so I should be good but out of curiousity, does anyone know will it still receive updates if it's in deep sleep mode?
What make/model maintainer did you get? I may look into this as there are times where I won’t drive it for a couple days.

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport SuperCrew 5.0L
What make/model maintainer did you get? I may look into this as there are times where I won’t drive it for a couple days.
I went with a NOCO Genius GenPro 10x1. I mounted it to the fuse box and ran the plug behind the front passenger wheel well liner, which for now, is it's temporary location.

Ford F-150 2021 Battery issues IMG_5102

Ford F-150 2021 Battery issues IMG_5105

Ford F-150 2021 Battery issues IMG_5107

Attachments

Dfc41889

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I went with a NOCO Genius GenPro 10x1. I mounted it to the fuse box and ran the plug behind the front passenger wheel well liner, which for now, is it's temporary location.

IMG_5102.jpg

IMG_5105.jpg

IMG_5107.jpg
I really like that. Nice clean install. I’ll look into it. I also have the catch can. Amazing how much oil that thing captures on the 5.0. Thanks!
Sponsored