2021 and newer 5.0 Cylinder Deactivation

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
I've been following this thread for over a year, and still no reported problems with the CD system. Bodes well for the future. 21,000 on mine and it still runs great. Time will tell!
Like you mine also runs perfect.

When i'm on the highway i pop it into manual mode by clicking the button on the column shift and that seems to stop the deactivation coming on (confirmed scientifically by my butt dyno)..

My thought is i'd rather not be running on 4 cylinders for prolonged periods of time. I suppose i could also lock it in 10th gear and turn it into Tow/Haul.

mikey1988

First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Ford F150 XLT fx4 reg cab V8, '79 Ford Granada
Occupation
steel mill worker
I never noticed a difference with cylinder deactivation until i added the borla atak exhaust. after adding the loud exhaust you can only tell from the exhaust tone

LostBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White F150 XLT 5.0
I never noticed a difference with cylinder deactivation until i added the borla atak exhaust. after adding the loud exhaust you can only tell from the exhaust tone
do you wish you wouldnt have added it now? I love the sound of exhaust and im wondering if the cylinder deactivation should keep me from buying a 2021 f150 5.0

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
Have done several very long highway drives with my 5.0 (anywhere from 2 hours to 17 hours) and for the life of me could not tell if/when any cylinder was deactivated and/or it was re-activated. I am not even aware of this "feature" until I come back to the forum and find this thread.

Sponsored

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
You can only tell when you have an aftermarket exhaust. I don't mind it on the highway, it's in town low speed driving where it's annoying, but, it's doing it's job giving you more MPG. If you don't like it, that's what tow and sport modes are for. It is definitely not a reason NOT to buy this truck....not even close.

mikey1988

First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Ford F150 XLT fx4 reg cab V8, '79 Ford Granada
Occupation
steel mill worker
do you wish you wouldnt have added it now? I love the sound of exhaust and im wondering if the cylinder deactivation should keep me from buying a 2021 f150 5.0
Nope even when it shifts to 4cyl mode it still sounds like the
i would never regret the borla atak, even when it shifts to 4cyl mode it still sounds good just not quite as loud

Blue Hammer

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Crew cab V8
Occupation
business owner
Picking this back up. it’s been 14 months with my 5.0 2021. No issues with CD. Didn’t even know it existed tbh. I did end up having my Magnaflo exhaust I had installed removed and returned due to the very annoying drone. Not sure if it was because of CD, or just the nature of 7-8th gear in a 10 speed.

Sponsored

TJSparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT (302A) 5.0L RockyRidge K2
Yup my truck had the dreaded lug/drone sound when cylinder deactivation kicked on. (I have aftermarket exhaust too) I ended up getting a tuner and tune from Livernois Motorsports and they can disable cylinder deactivation and the skip shift options in the trans. The trans tune they incorporate also makes the truck shift so much better than stock too.
Yes it’s stupid to have to pay more to make the truck better but was worth it IMO.

Last edited:

MJG44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Black Pack -22 Expedition Stealth - 03 HD
I've pondered the thought of a tuner but haven't done it yet since the performance gains are hardly measurable. I now always flip to tow/haul mode each time I'm in the truck. It's better for sure but still know a Trans tune would be great. Maybe I'll wait 45k when my warranty expires.

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT sport CCSB 5.0
Occupation
Auto Body Tech
I've pondered the thought of a tuner but haven't done it yet since the performance gains are hardly measurable. I now always flip to tow/haul mode each time I'm in the truck. It's better for sure but still know a Trans tune would be great. Maybe I'll wait 45k when my warranty expires.
I wish someone would come out with a cylinder deactivation delete without needing a full tune. Or a tune that ONLY takes out cylinder deactivation. I don’t want or need anything else changed. They make a delete for the Chevy trucks but nothing for us Ford owners.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Apparently Ford tried to sneak the cylinder deactivation in the 5.0 without telling anybody. I have a 2022 5.0 on order. I'm still going with it. I'm sure at some point someone will figure out how to turn it off. I'm hearing that driving in sport or haul mode will keep it from engaging.
Um, kinda hard to sneak it in a year after the fact.