2021 and newer 5.0 Cylinder Deactivation

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Great! I don't plan on changing the exhaust. Do you drive in normal or eco mode? Would you drive in sport mode all the time if it actually turns off CD?
I use Eco or Normal on the freeway, but actually prefer tow-haul mode for everyday driving! My area is rural, 30-55mph and hilly. T-H mode holds lower gears and doesn't skip gears. The engine braking of the V8 gives a lovely "trucky" feel to the accelerator pedal (and of course sounds great too). Sorry, no idea if it deactivates deactivation.

I don't really like or use Sport mode except for overtaking, it seems to hold revs too long and doesn't engine brake as much as I would like.

I do use Slippery mode in winter conditions, either with or without 4H (no 4A as I have XLT).
Sponsored

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
It was actually in a different thread and not the one I linked because I went down a small rabbit hole.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/cylinder-deactivation-deactivation.4352/#post-69278

After a little research I found that Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30 doesn’t have that great of a moly count, but Rotella T6 Gas Truck 5W-30 does. So I’ll be pouring the T6 in mine.
Unfortunately based on what I read on BITOG I think RGT has been discontinued. Hopefully I am wrong. I'm going with Mobil 1 Extended Protection.

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150
Unfortunately based on what I read on BITOG I think RGT has been discontinued. Hopefully I am wrong. I'm going with Mobil 1 Extended Protection.

I saw that too, but I still see it in stock at big retailers like Amazon and Advanced Auto also so I’m not so certain.

BITOG is probably the second oldest forum on the internet behind 4chan.

Hope I don’t get in trouble for linking it. I found this thread interesting.

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
I use Eco or Normal on the freeway, but actually prefer tow-haul mode for everyday driving! My area is rural, 30-55mph and hilly. T-H mode holds lower gears and doesn't skip gears. The engine braking of the V8 gives a lovely "trucky" feel to the accelerator pedal (and of course sounds great too). Sorry, no idea if it deactivates deactivation.

I don't really like or use Sport mode except for overtaking, it seems to hold revs too long and doesn't engine brake as much as I would like.

I do use Slippery mode in winter conditions, either with or without 4H (no 4A as I have XLT).
It's really cool having all the different "modes". I've only put 3K on my new F150 5.0 so I'm still learning the different modes and when they best apply to different driving conditions.

"Sport Mode" in the RCSB on a twisty mountain road is crazy FUN! "Almost" too much to handle!

But as far as Cylinder Deactivation is concerned… I read (not sure if it’s true) that Ford upgraded things like Oil Pump, Pistons, Rings, etc… to handle the added stress of Cylinder Deactivation and if that’s true… just all the more reason to get the 5.0 in “my opinion”.

Last edited:

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I am getting better city MPG in Tow/Haul, while pulling a trailer, so take from that what you can.

Still using the AC during the day too, both because of solar gain in the desert and to keep recirculate from turning off.

Or the motor is better broken in, however my last trip on Normal was lower than the most recent Tow/Haul mode trip.

Sponsored

DSpyV

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 screw 5.0 STX
Occupation
Radiology
This is the first CD vehicle I’ve had and you don’t even notice. No way you can hear it when it’s only running 4 vs 8 cylinders.

Im getting consistently 20.5 mpg in my 40 commute into work which includes 5 miles of city driving, which I consider phenomenal.

Mine came w the start/stop delete, I wonder how much mileage would have been better with it!

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I saw that too, but I still see it in stock at big retailers like Amazon and Advanced Auto also so I’m not so certain.

Yeah, I saw that thread too. I decided to use Motorcraft oil filter anyway during warranty.

Pete6114

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2023 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Retired Ford employee
I knew well in advance of ordering my 2021 5L in March of 2021, that it will have the new Cylinder deactivation . I'd never know it if i wasn't aware of it. Nothing detectable and no indicators while driving.

OP
OP
Chilidog

Chilidog

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, Lariat, 5.0, Fx4, 502A, Carbonized Gray
I knew well in advance of ordering my 2021 5L in March of 2021, that it will have the new Cylinder deactivation . I'd never know it if i wasn't aware of it. Nothing detectable and no indicators while driving.
It seemed like something that was not really advertised but it wasn't hidden either. Anyhow, I recently drove 2022 and yes it felt seamless. I loved it! Not sure why so many people love the eco's other than a little fuel savings.

Missmy3/4ton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
300a XLT 5.0 4x4
It was actually in a different thread and not the one I linked because I went down a small rabbit hole.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/cylinder-deactivation-deactivation.4352/#post-69278

After a little research I found that Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30 doesn’t have that great of a moly count, but Rotella T6 Gas Truck 5W-30 does. So I’ll be pouring the T6 in mine.
Im glad I could actually contribute something to this forum for once. lol. Does Rotella meet the oil spec for Ford? I couldnt find anything on with a quick search. Which is why I continued to run PUP. I will switch to PUP 0w40 or RL 5w30 sooner than later....I just wanted to make sure my truck didnt blow up. I'm at 14.5k miles now and on oil change #2 with the PUP....Should be close to 20k at a year of ownership.

Here's the ~4,500 page thread the hemi guys have going on running the best oil for your engine...imo, they're on the right track...both being overhead cam and have cylinder deactivation. https://www.ramforum.com/threads/synthetic-oil.27664/page-4425

Sponsored

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150
Im glad I could actually contribute something to this forum for once. lol. Does Rotella meet the oil spec for Ford? I couldnt find anything on with a quick search. Which is why I continued to run PUP. I will switch to PUP 0w40 or RL 5w30 sooner than later....I just wanted to make sure my truck didnt blow up. I'm at 14.5k miles now and on oil change #2 with the PUP....Should be close to 20k at a year of ownership.

Here's the ~4,500 page thread the hemi guys have going on running the best oil for your engine...imo, they're on the right track...both being overhead cam and have cylinder deactivation. https://www.ramforum.com/threads/synthetic-oil.27664/page-4425
According to this information here:

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...d=8665&vFilteringEnabled=False&userMarket=usa

Ford "Recommends":
Full Synthetic 5w-30 that meets WSS-M2C961-A1
or for colder climates:
Full Synthetic 0w-30 that meets WSS-M2C963-A1

Also interestingly, it says capacity plus filter comes in at 7.33 Quarts, which is not the 7.75 I've seen thrown around elsewhere...

Based on a photo of 2018 Rottella T6 5w-30, it meets WSS-M2C946-B1, I have an order of fresh stuff for my ecoboost arriving Wednesday, will update with the spec on it.

Missmy3/4ton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
300a XLT 5.0 4x4
According to this information here:

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...d=8665&vFilteringEnabled=False&userMarket=usa

Ford "Recommends":
Full Synthetic 5w-30 that meets WSS-M2C961-A1
or for colder climates:
Full Synthetic 0w-30 that meets WSS-M2C963-A1

Also interestingly, it says capacity plus filter comes in at 7.33 Quarts, which is not the 7.75 I've seen thrown around elsewhere...

Based on a photo of 2018 Rottella T6 5w-30, it meets WSS-M2C946-B1, I have an order of fresh stuff for my ecoboost arriving Wednesday, will update with the spec on it.
I was just wondering if it met the 'spec;' the WSS-M2C961-A1. From what I read, for you, that'll be a good choice oil for the ecoboost. If you google it, a lot of the ecoboost owners recommend it because the ecobost apparently 'eats through' the TBN (oil life).

The pre-14th gen 5.0's do have different oil capacities; so there's some confusion out there, but 7.75 qts is equal to 7.33L.

I guess I should get a UOA done on my 5.0. It would be interesting to see how the computer compare to the actual oil life.

Last edited:

Missmy3/4ton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
300a XLT 5.0 4x4
Great! I don't plan on changing the exhaust. Do you drive in normal or eco mode? Would you drive in sport mode all the time if it actually turns off CD?
Not to spam this same post all over the forum, but I have not heard CD turn on when in T/H or sport mode.

Missmy3/4ton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
300a XLT 5.0 4x4

Great thread, thanks for linking it. The oil filter was a good nugget if info Fram Ultra xg10575... I'm sold on only either running a Fram Ultra or a Royal Purple filter. Looks like RP filter is 20-500. The RP's filters did really well on the hemi's. On my Hemi I ran an oversized filter for the extended mileage (8,000 miles), I'd hope to do the same for this truck too.

Last edited:

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150
Great thread, thanks for linking it. The oil filter was a good nugget if info Fram Ultra xg10575... I'm sold on only either running a Fram Ultra or a Royal Purple filter. Looks like RP filter is 20-500. The RP's filters did really well on the hemi's. On my Hemi I ran an oversized filter for the extended mileage (8,000 miles), I'd hope to do the same for this truck too.
Glad I could help contribute, feel like we’re finally circling the wagons on alternatives to FoMoCo products, that thread is the reason I snagged the Fram Ultra using points at my local Advanced Auto.

Thanks to a large online retailer that starts with Summit and your comment about the RP 20-500, I was able to find RP 51530 meets WSS-M2C961-A1.

For the ecoBoost in my 15, I’ll keep pouring the Rotella. But it looks like RP has a future customer in me once the Coyote in my 22 arrives.

Edit: player 2 has entered the chat.
Not able to find much moly information on it, but ‘Mobil Full Synthetic’ (No “1”) meets spec and is priced nicely.
Sponsored

Last edited: