2021 5.0 oil consumption

Shock82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Xlt V8
Occupation
Pipefitter
I had all of these issues as well. 2qts every 2500 miles. They did test then pull plugs to find all of them soaked in oil. So they pulled the intake to find soaked valves as well as loose ones. Replaced both heads at 5000miles. Now its back for leaks and loosing oil again. 2 quarta in 1500 miles. Tech buddy who works at a dealer in MD told me the 21's are having alot of issues with heads, intakes coming apart and injectors. MY 2012 was flawless then I went Duramax which was a lemon so I ment back to my FOMOCO and junk!
Sponsored

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
Bottom hole is 2 quarts low.
Dang. Since I’m middle of hashmarks I guess that still leaves me about a quart shy of topped off. Just going to top up for now, taking it to dealer for fist oil change in January and will mention it then. My guess is that being under 4000 miles they will attribute it to break-in, and I’ll hope thats the case but will keep watching.

NGinuity

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150
I had all of these issues as well. 2qts every 2500 miles. They did test then pull plugs to find all of them soaked in oil. So they pulled the intake to find soaked valves as well as loose ones. Replaced both heads at 5000miles. Now its back for leaks and loosing oil again. 2 quarta in 1500 miles. Tech buddy who works at a dealer in MD told me the 21's are having alot of issues with heads, intakes coming apart and injectors. MY 2012 was flawless then I went Duramax which was a lemon so I ment back to my FOMOCO and junk!
Mine was in for head replacement (and I had an extremely, extremely poor experience with Ford Customer Care) at 3600 miles, burned 2 quarts in 1100 miles. Was in for 37 days, and they made no effort to make it less of an inconvenience for me. I have only had it back for 6 days, will be staying on top of it, especially after the way they treated me. I'm not even enjoying driving the truck right now.

NGinuity

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150
Dang. Since I’m middle of hashmarks I guess that still leaves me about a quart shy of topped off. Just going to top up for now, taking it to dealer for fist oil change in January and will mention it then. My guess is that being under 4000 miles they will attribute it to break-in, and I’ll hope thats the case but will keep watching.
Word of advice, if you're losing oil, get it on paper as soon as you can. Don't wait. I waited 2600 miles after nursing it with top-offs and I first noticed at 700 miles. It's not an unreasonable expectation to want a properly running 40-50 thousand dollar truck.

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
1700 miles on mine so far, still at top....Praying mine doesn't have this issue.

Sponsored

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
Okay so after the truck sat for a day I was getting ready to call the dealer but decided to check the level one more time.

Pulled the stick, showed almost at the top
of the hashmarks, what the heck (I hadn’t added oil)? Wiped, inserted fully and pulled again… this time it did it’s impossible to read thing where the oil was smeared along the sides of the stick in a kind of elongated V pattern with the tip of the V just below the top of the hash marks.

Honestly this is frustrating, I have never had a dipstick so friggin hard to read. I suspect what is happening is that the stick slides along the tube walls and smears the reading either pushing down the oil to look low or on subsequent pulls depositing extra oil leftover in the tube from the last pull.

Ford: design a better dipstick/tube. It’s not hard… don’t be so bendy and put a little collar just before the measuring area to keep it from rubbing along the tube walls. How much more does that seriously cost vs customers/mechanics thinking their oil is off.

I should mention that I do know how to properly check oil, and growing up I’ve rebuilt engines, repaired/replaced heads along with just about every other part over the years…. But whatever 50 cents Ford saved making a crappy dipstick is frustrating as hell and making me feel like a noob.

I mean seriously, is it just me or is this dipstick hard as hell to get a decent reading from?

psambrose

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 2018 Mustang GT 2017 Lincoln MKZ
Okay so after the truck sat for a day I was getting ready to call the dealer but decided to check the level one more time.

Pulled the stick, showed almost at the top
of the hashmarks, what the heck (I hadn’t added oil)? Wiped, inserted fully and pulled again… this time it did it’s impossible to read thing where the oil was smeared along the sides of the stick in a kind of elongated V pattern with the tip of the V just below the top of the hash marks.

Honestly this is frustrating, I have never had a dipstick so friggin hard to read. I suspect what is happening is that the stick slides along the tube walls and smears the reading either pushing down the oil to look low or on subsequent pulls depositing extra oil leftover in the tube from the last pull.

Ford: design a better dipstick/tube. It’s not hard… don’t be so bendy and put a little collar just before the measuring area to keep it from rubbing along the tube walls. How much more does that seriously cost vs customers/mechanics thinking their oil is off.

I should mention that I do know how to properly check oil, and growing up I’ve rebuilt engines, repaired/replaced heads along with just about every other part over the years…. But whatever 50 cents Ford saved making a crappy dipstick is frustrating as hell and making me feel like a noob.

I mean seriously, is it just me or is this dipstick hard as hell to get a decent reading from?
It's not just you. The convoluted dipstick tube is ridiculous.

Mikesoffroad

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1983 Jeep CJ7, 2007 Jeep JKU, coming Ford F150 KR
Occupation
Training Superintendent
8300km on my 5.0 and I have gone through 8 liters of oil. Very big puff of blue smoke on start up. Ford wants more data before they will decided to change the heads. The local Ford mech knows what it is but says his hands are tied by Ford as to when they can do the repair.

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
Im almost to 4000 miles, hasn't moved, lucky!

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
8300km on my 5.0 and I have gone through 8 liters of oil. Very big puff of blue smoke on start up. Ford wants more data before they will decided to change the heads. The local Ford mech knows what it is but says his hands are tied by Ford as to when they can do the repair.
Be careful what you wish for....

FORD DOESN'T HAVE ANY "HEADS"!

I've been waiting since December for ONE.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/inside-your-2021-5-0-at-3500-miles.8526/

Sponsored

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
My 2018 5.0 used oil the first 4000 miles, then stopped between 4 and 5 thousand. At 18,000 and no consumption anymore. I did get the consumption documented and oil consumption test etc, with the dealer. The issue went away somehow?

Mikesoffroad

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1983 Jeep CJ7, 2007 Jeep JKU, coming Ford F150 KR
Occupation
Training Superintendent

NH_Leadfoot

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
.GOV
I'm about to turn 14K miles on my truck, I've had it since Feb 9, 2021. I essentially babied the truck the first 1K miles, then started romping on it, did my first oil change at 3K miles. After dumping the OE Fill of Motorcraft, I switched to Amsoil 5w30 Signature Series (not looking to turn this into an oil specific thread). 2nd oil change at 8K miles, 3rd oil change at 13K miles. No oil consumption whatsoever on my engine. I got the Blackstone Lab UOA report back a few days ago from the 13K mile sample, other than a little fuel dilution, no abnormal metals showing up in the report. I chock the fuel dilution up to a lot of idling and using the remote start every morning to warm up the truck before I head to work. I'm happy to report that some of these Gen4 coyotes are not oil burners.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I'm about to turn 14K miles on my truck, I've had it since Feb 9, 2021. I essentially babied the truck the first 1K miles, then started romping on it, did my first oil change at 3K miles. After dumping the OE Fill of Motorcraft, I switched to Amsoil 5w30 Signature Series (not looking to turn this into an oil specific thread). 2nd oil change at 8K miles, 3rd oil change at 13K miles. No oil consumption whatsoever on my engine. I got the Blackstone Lab UOA report back a few days ago from the 13K mile sample, other than a little fuel dilution, no abnormal metals showing up in the report. I chock the fuel dilution up to a lot of idling and using the remote start every morning to warm up the truck before I head to work. I'm happy to report that some of these Gen4 coyotes are not oil burners.
Some? The majority, especially after 2 issues identified and resolved.

Yes, some issues still out there, but chances are good that "you" wont see an issue.

Sucks to get bad/failed parts when there are no replacements available thats for sure.